TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

This is complicated... - March 22nd 2011, 10:29 PM

Or maybe not. I'm not sure..

I keep thinking weird things... like, I'm sitting on my bed at night, thinking like normal, and I start.. questioning things... how do I know anything is real? What if I'm the only real person and everyone else are just robots or mindless figments of my imagination that I don't have any control or real affection for? How do I know anything is real? What if this reality isn't reality and reality is something.. different? Everybody and everything are just illusionary pictures created by my mind to fill the void that exists in my perception of reality and the need for something to be there? It just feels like I'm the only real person and I'm just wandering through a gray landscape with gray, generic faces of people I don't care for, I will never know, talk to, all having their own experiences and their own lives that started before I even existed and it's not me its them....

I don't think that makes much sense, but... they're not entirely.. normal thoughts are they?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
you'rebeautiful Offline
believe it :)
Average Joe

Name: Ada

Re: This is complicated... - March 23rd 2011, 02:55 AM

Hey there
These are perfectly normal thoughts... as humans, we all tend toward philosophy (especially philosophy of self) from time to time... Some of us even end up going to school for it. It's not abnormal to think of or to consider these things at all.

These are all interesting thoughts/theories, and if you're interested, you can even find similar philosophies echoed in literature or throughout history. For example, solipsism ( the view or theory that the self is the only thing that can actually be known to exist) is central to the short story "The Long Rain", from the book "The Illustrated Man," and, on a slightly religious note, "The Egg" by Andy Weir (short, and pretty interesting) could be considered solipsistic as well. As you can see, you're certainly not alone in these thoughts.
And hey, people like Aristotle and Socrates were, and are, famous for them.
All the best,
Ada

I believe thatyou're inherently beautiful : )

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BeeAssassinator Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Amber

Re: This is complicated... - March 25th 2011, 02:53 AM

Sometimes I think of exactly those things, so you're not alone. It's more of periods though- it goes away after awhile. It wasn't so bad for me at first, but I've found it's a ton easier to get really depressed when I'm like that. It really bothers me when it happens. I can't concentrate and I go into an automatic type mode. Mostly because I look at these people (my friends) and realize they are just people I probably don't really know anything about.

Sometimes I scare myself because I'll starting wondering if they are actually even real. If it matters if I hurt them or something. I can't explain it :/.
Someone told me to look into Depersonalization, and it soundspretty accurate, but I'm not authorized for a self diagnosis haha.

"I'm so lost
I'm barely here.
I wish I could explain myself
But words escape me."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: This is complicated... - March 25th 2011, 02:53 PM

I totally have those thoughts all the time! Nothing is wrong, everyone's mind wanders. The world is so complicated and everybody sees it as they think most other people see it too. The subject is very confusing so I apoligize if I don't make any sense Everything is just so complicated and you don't realize that until you stop and think. Don't worry about it at all. Nothing is wrong, it's cool to think about everyone else as robots and stuff I've thought that myself for a while. Don't worry about it. You're completely fine

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: This is complicated... - March 25th 2011, 03:19 PM

Actually, my boyfriend has these thoughts sometimes. He's discussed the ideas with me before, and has kind of compared it to "The Matrix". Oh, and before you ask, my boyfriend is mentally and physically healthy.

Honestly, what I think this idea breaks down into (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) is:
People who don't accept religious ideas, but also won't accept science as absolute, usually tend to think their own things, try to explain things the best they can, and their minds try to piece things together. Which may include the manifestations of an idea that we're part of a machine, reality is implanted in our heads, etc.

You get what I mean? Point is, this isn't the mainstream, conventional thought, no. But, these thoughts don't make you "crazy", they mean you're thinking outside of what the mainstream has presented as absolute fact, and questioning your surroundings.

In my opinion, that's VERY mentally healthy!

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#6 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: This is complicated... - March 25th 2011, 11:20 PM

Thanks guys

Closed Thread