TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Meg

Exclamation Can I Really Have Schizoprenia? - March 23rd 2011, 03:41 PM

Recently I've been seeing a psychologist about the people that live inside me. They tend to take over my body, but sometimes they also talk to each other and to me within my head. My psychologist decided to give me some medication (respiradone [I think I spelled that correctly] and soon some anti-depressants). Now I know for certain that they believe I have schizophrenia. But I can't get myself to believe that.
  Send a message via Skype™ to An Artificial Girl 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Can I Really Have Schizoprenia? - March 23rd 2011, 04:49 PM

If you're unsure about your doctors opinion you have every right to get a 2nd opinion from a different doctor. From my uneducated point of view though, ny opinion is that they may be right.
I've been on resperidone, or however its spelt, before, it wasn't the right medication for me but I'm diag osed with something different and it might help you.
remember though that just because its an antipsychotic it doesn't mean its only used to help schizophrenia, keep an open mind and remember that your doctors only job is to help you live a healthy life.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Can I Really Have Schizoprenia? - March 23rd 2011, 05:49 PM

Rick brings up a good point. Sometimes if a case of Depression seems to have Psychosis, they may add an anti-psychotic, more as a boost to the anti-depressant. Look at the medicine "Abilify", they advertise it as being able to assist in treating Depression, Bipolar Disorder, or even Schizophrenia.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#4 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: Can I Really Have Schizoprenia? - March 24th 2011, 11:01 PM

The condition of having people in your head has a name?

*cough*

Well, anywho, I used to have people that lived in my head, too. That's pretty much why I opened this thread, because I used to have this same problem, and I saw myself in your words. Keywords here being 'used to have'. Because I recovered from it. I'm not trying to give you a false sense of hope or anything, but I can tell you what I did to get rid of my people. Sometimes this one would visit my dreams, too. He was always one of my favorites.

Simply put, I stopped listening to them. They'd fight and quarrel and bicker among themselves -- at some point I had around twelve different ones, though they rarely all visited me at the same time -- and I'd just tell them to shut up and I'd go about my day. I'd keep myself busy so I wouldn't have to listen to them.

Then, when they started threatening to make the sun fall, or to leave me, I just ignored that, too. And when they tried to control my movements, I would resist. It was hard, and I was terrified of not listening, but I learned to keep myself from moving when they told me to. Looking back, I think subconsciously thought something like this: If I don't let people in my life control my every move, why should I let the people in my head.

And I know the doctors are denying the presence of the people in your head. The truth is, if you believe they're there, they're there, whether it can be scientifically proven or not. For instance, people believe God's there, and he does wonders because of their faith in Him, whereas there is no scientific evidence that He exists. There may be no real evidence that the people in your head are there, but just the faith in them makes them beings, if only to yourself.

And if they're trying to control you, just treat it like a friend who controls you! Avoid them, ignore them, refuse to let them grab hold of you and make you move. Even in many, many years, they might still be there, but they can't tell you what to do if you don't let them.

About your medicine: I honestly can't see the point in medicine, because as soon as you're off of it, you're going to be back in the same boat. If you fix it yourself, then you'll never have to deal with it again unless you let it happen.

Remember: You are the master of your own mind and the guests in it, just as the master of the house is in control of him home and the guests who visit. He can tell them to leave if they're bothering him, but not if he doesn't have the willpower to do so.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Re: Can I Really Have Schizoprenia? - March 24th 2011, 11:14 PM

If she really has schizophrenia it will never go away without the help of medication. I know you're trying to help but on tbe off chance the doctor is right that bit of advice can be very hurtful to somebody's recovery.
I do see the point in medication, because if I didn't take mine 3 times a day for the rest of my life then I would be unable to function, alone, and homeless if not dead.

Member since 2005
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: Can I Really Have Schizoprenia? - March 24th 2011, 11:18 PM

Forgive me. I know little about the illness, only that I had something very similar to what she described in her first post -- probably not the actual thing -- in my earlier years. I truly believed there were people in my head, as it seems she does.

I didn't mean she shouldn't take her medicine, only that she should try to help herself at the same time.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Re: Can I Really Have Schizoprenia? - March 25th 2011, 01:59 AM

I agree with you there, medication can only do so much for someone unless they're willing to help themselves in other ways, whether that be some sort of support group, spriritually, therapy, etc..
I am somewhat doubtful she has schizophrenia though, simply because there is so much more to it than that.

Member since 2005
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Can I Really Have Schizoprenia? - March 25th 2011, 04:58 AM

Risperidone, although an anti-psychotic is used to treat other non-psychotic disorders, such as intermittent explosive disorder, body dysmorphic disorder (can argue it has delusions), depression with psychosis, bipolar with psychotic features and possibly certain personality disorders. The reason being, risperidone, like all anti-psychotics, tends to create flat affect as a side-effect, lethargy and slowing down one's mind, especially for bipolar with psychotic features. Unfortunately all anti-psychotics have these side-effects due to their mechanisms, which are fairly well known although neuroscience and pharmacology are some of the fields in medicine with so many unanswered, unknown concepts. There's a whole lot of research drugs that are still being investigated. Some people react badly to certain anti-psychotics but better to others, it's a very finiky set of drugs.

Since you're 15, you may or may not be in a prodromal phase of schizophrenia. Different people have it at different times based on time of onset. Basically, it's a time when symptoms resemble schizophrenia, diagnostic criteria for schizophrenia usually is met and is recent so it has the highest chance of "curing" (note the word is in quotation marks) it. Some are able to actually have their schizophrenia eliminated or at least symptoms reduced so much, medications may not be needed long-term. Clinicians usually don't tell someone they're in prodromal or post-prodromal because people are often worried over the disorder already, nevermind throwing out these fancy terms people probably won't know the meaning of. You can easily ask your doctor this.

To end this long post, schizophrenia isn't simply about the psychotic or disorganized or catatonic behaviours. There are several diagnostic criteria that need to be met, those are just for one. Another criteria involves prescence/absence of certain mood disorders, social impairments, etc... .

Lastly, depending how far and severe the schizophrenia is, you can see noticable structural brain changes on MRIs. Linking structural changes with a particular disorder is not very easy as many different disorders can have similar structural changes. You can get a second opinion if you want, not necessary though.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread