TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ashes2493 Offline
I'm only the monster u made me
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Phobias - March 30th 2011, 12:51 AM

I believe I have a phobia of centipedes. Whenever I see one, my heart will start racing, I get goosebumps, and I run from the room, sometimes I even start crying. My heart even starts racing when I see a picture if one in a book. I'm not sure what caused it, but I've had this reaction to centipedes since I was little.

I made this thread because I'm wondering if anyone else has a phobia or an extreme fear of something.

Morgan Lynn 5/15/2010
Henry Thomas 12/15/2010

I love you both unconditionally

Let go of the fear Let go of the doubt
Let go of the ones who try to put you down
You're gonna be fine Don't hold it inside
If you hurt right now, then let it all come out
Breathe - Ryan Star

Your Helpful Tattoo Enthusiast Ask Away!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Phobias - March 30th 2011, 01:24 AM

I have a phobia of deer. It makes driving quite crappy.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: Phobias - March 30th 2011, 02:13 AM

I'm extremely terrified of heights. I don't know where it originated, but I'm scared to ride roller coasters, I won't go rock climbing, and I used to have trouble riding in airplanes. The only reason why I went on one, was to see my Aunt's funeral. Other than that, I would rather ride in a car. I'm always terried that the plane is going to crash, or something horrible of that sort will happen to the plane. I want to get over my fear of heights someday.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
jenpiglet17 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jen

Re: Phobias - March 30th 2011, 04:44 PM

I have an extreme fear of spiders.... like the centipedes, and I'm also terrified of people reading whatever I'm writing over my shoulder or wherever they are. I know it sounds weird, but I hate it... I can't write. I'll just stop writing till they stop or go away. It makes me reallllllllyy uncomfortable.

A computer once beat me at chess,
but it was no match for me at kickboxing!

I'm always here if you want to talk!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
01love Offline
Average Joe

Name: Lena

Re: Phobias - March 30th 2011, 06:08 PM

I'm scared of dying and my loved ones dying. I'm also terrified of birds, I have to cross the street and take a detour when I see pigeons in my way or something. It's pretty annoying ):

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Evanescent Offline
Love Is The Movement
I've been here a while

Name: Nicole (Nikki)

Re: Phobias - March 30th 2011, 06:55 PM

I have an extreme fear of being stopped on a bridge. I'm always afraid that the bridge is going to collapse.

"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars."

"For those who don't care, for those who can't see, never give up, always thrive to be free."

Smile, you are beautiful www.operationbeautiful.com

Blessed Be!
Nicole AKA Nikki
Artist, Poet, and Future Social Worker

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Phobias - March 31st 2011, 06:04 AM

Although it is a phobia, it seems like an evolutionary adaptive one: fear of heights so we don't go climbing up high in unsafe manners and fear of certain insects as they can be harmful. I think sometimes it's impossible to locate the source of one's phobia or why one doesn't have a phobia to something. Myself I'm not afraid of insects as I work with them (not always dead) in labs, so if I were afraid, I'd be pretty shitty in the lab. Although we haven't use centipedes, mainly because they can be messy or potentially toxic but not lethal, we have used spiders.

I cant relate or appreciate your fear as I've yet to find something that I have a phobia to. I've gone up to the CN Tower and laid face-down on the glass floor but still got no fear from it. However, my mother has a phobia to spiders, centipedes and most other insects. I don't understand why because many times when she's going frantic, I'll let the spider sometimes crawl along my arm, mostly to freak her out even more then eventually kill it or toss it outside. Several years ago we went to a science center and they were showing living tarantulas but nobody wanted to touch it. I asked the guy if I can and he let me hold it and have it crawl along my arms, back of neck and nearly fell down my shirt. It felt ticklish and I was giggling away while my mother was going apeshit.

Anyway, some ways to reduce them include systematic desensitization (gradually expose yourself to the insects more and more until you're almost directly touching them while relaxing). It's the simplest to do and something you can do yourself once you learn the relaxation techniques. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systematic_desensitization

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Quirinus Offline
Jeremyjoltasaur^ namechange ;)
Average Joe

Name: Jeremy

Re: Phobias - March 31st 2011, 11:20 AM

Extremely scared of worms .-.

If i held my ground
Would you ask me to
Change? This drought
Bleeds on now we're
Dancing for rain.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Elliotte

Re: Phobias - March 31st 2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenpiglet17 View Post
I have an extreme fear of spiders.... like the centipedes, and I'm also terrified of people reading whatever I'm writing over my shoulder or wherever they are. I know it sounds weird, but I hate it... I can't write. I'll just stop writing till they stop or go away. It makes me reallllllllyy uncomfortable.
You sound like me. I wouldn't say the writing issue, for me, is a phobia, but it is hard for me to write when someone else is present assuming I'm unable to minimise what I'm writing. For example, I wouldn't be able to write on TH or in an IM window with someone else in the room, but I could likely continue writing (assuming they were quiet, else concentration is a different story) because I could put the font on font size 1 or 2 and therefore continue writing but they would be unable to see it.

As for the OP, spiders. I am severely arachnophobic. I have made some progress, though very little. For example, spiders the size of pinheads no longer send me into a panic attack and unless I am trapped in the same room as a spider, or the spider is in my room, I am more or less able to keep composed about it. I do break into a sweat and my heart does start racing, but so long as I'm neither trapped nor in a confined space with one, I can flee. However, when faced with a spider, I do often go into full blown panic attacks, and I can't even see pictures online without getting goose bumps and a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. I break out in sweat and tremors when seeing pictures, also.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Lumos. Offline
Used to be Don'tForget
I can't get enough

Name: Dionna

Re: Phobias - April 2nd 2011, 03:08 PM

i am afraid of heights ,the wold ending ,friends or family dying,and tons of others...
  Send a message via Skype™ to Lumos. 
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Phobias - April 2nd 2011, 07:00 PM

I have a fear of needles. If I hear I have to have an injection, I panic and my heart beat increases. I can't watch even fake ones on TV, as it makes me cringe and feel a bit ill. Last time I was told I had to have an injection, I found myself feeling breathless and lightheaded, I heated up and started sweating a bit. I don't know why either, the only time I remember having an injection was when I was about 7 and I cried so hard I didn't even feel it. Now I can't stand them, and I avoid them as much as possible, even though I shouldn't, but I think I'd pass out if I had to get one.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Re: Phobias - April 2nd 2011, 08:21 PM

Spiders. Dear god, the spiders...my boyfriend gets irritated sometimes when I need him to crush the ones that are freaking microscopic.
I was on the phone with him once and I suddenly stopped talking, and I said "Umm...Frank..." He sighed and asked me how big the spider was.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Phobias - April 3rd 2011, 03:01 AM

I have an intense, irrational, fear of bees and wasps. Most people think it's quite a rational fear, but the extent that I fear them has gotten to the point that I hate flowers, spring, and bright colors outside. At one point, I refused to wear flower patterns or neon colors in warm weather. If a bee/wasp even flies passed me, I stop dead in my tracks, I stop breathing (and then breathe very fast), my heart rate increases drastically, I feel a bit like passing out, and I've cried. That isn't even if they land on me. If they come too close all that stuff gets worse.

I really dislike when people think I'm being ridiculous, or claim that their fear is worse than mine when they're more like an "ah bee don't sting me *giggle giggle run away*"
I actually have a reason for this fear, when I was little I saw a bee/wasp swarm of thousands and I watched them almost kill a baby. The fact that I've never been stung intensifies this fear as I have no idea what it feels like.

I almost had a panic attack just watching the bee scene in Case 39

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Evanescent Offline
Love Is The Movement
I've been here a while

Name: Nicole (Nikki)

Re: Phobias - April 3rd 2011, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranquilChaos View Post
I have an intense, irrational, fear of bees and wasps. Most people think it's quite a rational fear, but the extent that I fear them has gotten to the point that I hate flowers, spring, and bright colors outside. At one point, I refused to wear flower patterns or neon colors in warm weather. If a bee/wasp even flies passed me, I stop dead in my tracks, I stop breathing (and then breathe very fast), my heart rate increases drastically, I feel a bit like passing out, and I've cried. That isn't even if they land on me. If they come too close all that stuff gets worse.

I really dislike when people think I'm being ridiculous, or claim that their fear is worse than mine when they're more like an "ah bee don't sting me *giggle giggle run away*"
I actually have a reason for this fear, when I was little I saw a bee/wasp swarm of thousands and I watched them almost kill a baby. The fact that I've never been stung intensifies this fear as I have no idea what it feels like.

I almost had a panic attack just watching the bee scene in Case 39

I'm deadly allgergic to stinging insects. I do the same exact thing. I think its quite nomarl to be scared of bees, i would be upset if someone acted like that too.

"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars."

"For those who don't care, for those who can't see, never give up, always thrive to be free."

Smile, you are beautiful www.operationbeautiful.com

Blessed Be!
Nicole AKA Nikki
Artist, Poet, and Future Social Worker

Closed Thread