TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Where do I start? - April 5th 2011, 09:38 AM

I've finally gathered myself up enough to admit that I need to see someone. Or rather, my fiance is making me go. The thing is, I dont know where to start. How do I find someone? Do I have to pay?
I don't want anyone to know. Anyone. Except me and my partner.

I'm too embarassed by the whole thing. To me, admitting that I think I'm depressed sounds weak and insignificant. I'm only 19. I feel like I'm going to be wasting someones time, even though I realise that there's something wrong. I get the feeling this person will turn around and tell me its a teenage thing.

Is it?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: Where do I start? - April 5th 2011, 08:43 PM

Hey Jo,

You shouldn't be embarassed for how you feel. You know depression is probably much more common than you think. Many people go through rough times and need a bit of extra support to get through it. It doesn't make them weak or anything, I think it makes them strong to be able to reach out for that help. You shouldn't have to go through this on your own and I know people will want to help you but they can only help if they know what is happening!

You are from England so you would be able to get help free from the NHS. The best thing to do would be to see your doctor and just be honest with them and explain how you are feeling. No one will have to know about it because it should all be confidential. They shouldn't judge you. They will just want to help you and you will definitely not be wasting there time because your problems are important. You are important as well!

I think you are really strong to realise that you need help. Not many people are able to realise that but you have so I admire your strength. I hope you do manage to get the help you deserve.

Stay strong.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Where do I start? - April 6th 2011, 03:44 AM

Depression is rated as the most common mental disorder and as a result, it's gotten lots of attention from doctors and experts in various fields.

I know England has some free health services although I don't know if you have to still pay part of if it's covered entirely.

You have two main ways of getting help from a psychiatrist: going to your local hospital (assuming it has a psych ward) or going to a general doctor and request a referral. For the former, it generally is for severe symptoms that requires immediate attention.

If you see a medical doctor and get diagnosed, it will appear on your medical record although people cannot look through it whenever they want. You have to give people permission to look, including giving permission to other doctors.

The psychiatrist may say you don't have depression but instead have something else or nothing else, none of us can tell you what will happen. If you seek a psychologist, they cannot give you medications as they are not a medical doctor but they work in connection with psychiatrists so they probably would have the psychiatrist write you the prescription.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: Where do I start? - April 6th 2011, 10:18 AM

My problem starts with my GP...he is extremely unhelpful and makes me feel like I'm wasting his time. Plus he keeps misdiagnosing people in the area with huge stuff...like.."you have a sore thoat, oh, sorry! It was cancer!" So I have major trust issues. In fact, all the doctors kinda suck here.

My parter called NHS direct and they said I had to talk to them [I wasn't there at the time] but I'm scared to ring up...like, what do I say? "Hi, I'm feeling like life isn't worth it anymore"?

I hate this. Hate it hate it.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: Where do I start? - April 6th 2011, 05:50 PM

Ahh your doctor doesn't sound very helpful at all. But you have nothing to lose from going to see him. You may go to see him and he may be able to refer you for some kind of counselling or something and then at least you won't have to go back to him. But if you don't go then you willl never know. However, if you feel that he is really unhelpful and that you can't talk to him I would suggest you try and see a different doctor. Doctors should be really experienced in dealing with people with depression because it is really common so they should be able to help you.

No matter what happens you really do deserve help. You are important so never forget that.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Where do I start? - April 7th 2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-am-not-a-robot View Post
My problem starts with my GP...he is extremely unhelpful and makes me feel like I'm wasting his time. Plus he keeps misdiagnosing people in the area with huge stuff...like.."you have a sore thoat, oh, sorry! It was cancer!" So I have major trust issues. In fact, all the doctors kinda suck here.

My parter called NHS direct and they said I had to talk to them [I wasn't there at the time] but I'm scared to ring up...like, what do I say? "Hi, I'm feeling like life isn't worth it anymore"?

I hate this. Hate it hate it.
Unfortunately, a huge problem in the medical and psychological community is GP's who don't know much about mental health problems. I can find the number later but off-hand, it's around 25% up to 50% of people who enter the psychiatric community for treatment first saw their GP. I would go to him, tell him that you want a referral to a psychiatrist because many won't take you unless you have one, at least in North America that's how it is in many places. For parts of Europe I'm not sure how exactly they operate. Some doctors are pretty crappy but could you travel to a different city/town for a different doctor?

NHS Direct is something I've heard fairly positive views over so I'd go to them and tell them exactly how you feel.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread