TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
secretocean Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ocean

Question I don't know what to do. Advice? - April 9th 2011, 10:16 PM

I usually hate writing about myself in fear of sounding attention seeking, so I apologize in advance.

I won't go into detail, but basically I think there's something wrong with me mentally. For the past two years I've flucated between happy/comfortable periods in my life, then switching to having negative and depressing thoughts, each for months at a time. The problem is I myself can't put my finger on what causes me to be so close to suicide, or just burst out crying (mostly at night) when I'm alone, all I ever seem to think about is the negative aspects of everything in front of me. I constantly remind myself of how disgusting everything in the world is, how the world is rotting from the inside out, and I feel like screaming because I'm trapped in the middle of it all and there's nothing I can do about it, I feel as if I hate everyone I come into contact with. I've attempted suicide in the past, and I self harm on occasions when I'm feeling especially low, but I've been trying to fight the urge to.

I feel so utterly selfish knowing I'm writing about myself, but I have no where else to ask this. My age is private on here, but I'm still in my teens and I know some of the things I think and feel aren't normal compared to others of my age, I feel fine when I'm with my friends but mostly when I'm alone, even occasionally in public, I just break down and feel so close to the edge. (I know this makes me sounds bipolar, but looking from my point of view I really don't think I am)

Back to what I was originally writing about, I really need to tell one of my parents that I think I need help. Me and my parents are always on good terms and we rarely argue but I've always been uncomfortable talking to them about personal issues such as relationships ect, so I have no idea how I'd even begin to talk to them about something like this.
In essence I just need some advice on how to tell them about this all, or even just mention that I think there's something mentally wrong with me. Thank you. x

Last edited by secretocean; April 10th 2011 at 02:33 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: I don't know what to do. Advice? - April 10th 2011, 08:30 AM

Hey, welcome to TH.

Talking to family about these types of things can be hard, but having their support could be very beneficial for you. Find a quiet environment, and talk to them. You have already came into terms with these problems, now you have to inform your parents. If you have a good relationship with them, I really can't see why they wouldn't be supportive of you. If it helps, write down what you plan on telling them. Once you have put your thoughts down on paper, it might be easier when it comes time to tell them face to face. Don't feel discouraged, let them know, don't be ashamed or afraid that they will react in the wrong way. I'm sure they will always be by your side. I'm proud that you are becoming more accepting of yourself. If things are kept inside, the solution will never be solved. The love and support of your family, will guide you through this. I know you can do it.

Once again, welcome to TH.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: I don't know what to do. Advice? - April 10th 2011, 05:45 PM

Hey Ocean,

First of all, I see you're a newer member, so Welcome to Teenhelp!

Second, you're right, it doesn't sound like you're Bipolar, since Bipolar Disorder is a lot more complicated. Your mood swings sound actually pretty normal for teen years, but the suicidal part is concerning.

This may not be a mental health issue, but it also is a possibility that it is, so I suggest you talk to your parents about seeing a counselor, or therapist. You don't have to be mentally ill, or "crazy" to see a therapist, or a counselor. Perfectly "normal" people see them fairly regularly, to help them with everyday issues, or for somebody to talk to.

If you don't want to tell your parents you've felt suicidal, maybe tell them you're feeling down, and that you'd like to see if a counselor, or therapist, can help you feel better, and more confident.

Your teen years can be hard. Hell, I think they're a struggle for everyone. Having that little bit of extra help, whether you have a mental illness or not, can still prove beneficial.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

Closed Thread