TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Aestai Offline
Average Joe

Name: Renee

Bipolar?? - April 10th 2011, 08:15 AM

I think I may be bipolar. I've noticed major mood swings, i've spent many hours researching symptoms, even took online screenings. Most of what I came up with supports that I am bipolar, and I scored pretty high in all of the screenings and they suggest that I get tested... But I'm scared and I'm afraid to... any advice? On anything to do with bipolar???

"But all bubbles have a way of bursting or being deflated in the end." -Barry Gibb

http://aestia.deviantart.com/ <--- Please check out my art!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: Bipolar?? - April 10th 2011, 08:22 AM

You shouldn't be afraid. I can understand how frustrating this is. Having to question yourself about this, wondering whether you have it or not. It is better to get an opinion from a professional. Reading information about bi-polar is excellent, but an online test isn't going to diagnose you. Be brave, and talk to a professional. They will be able to diagnose you with it. You can have symptoms of bi-polar, but not actually have it. Going on symptoms isn't good enough, talking to a doctor would be the best choice. Have a talk with your school psychologist. Be honest with them, and explain to them that you think you have bi-polar. They should be able to further help you. Don't feel afraid, the best thing that you can do is to talk to a professional. Be strong, I have faith that you can have the courage to do this. If you need to talk, we are here.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: Bipolar?? - April 10th 2011, 09:48 AM

You are only 14 and people often do have mood swings at your age so I don't think you can be sure at all if you have Bipolar from these online tests. They are often misleading so you need to see someone qualified and talk to them about your feelings. I think the best thing for you to do is to see your doctor because they would be able to help you.

Believe
You can do anything you want to
:-)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Aestai Offline
Average Joe

Name: Renee

Re: Bipolar?? - April 10th 2011, 04:14 PM

Well, I know these online tests aren't going to acttually tell me, it was just a starting place. Also, I'm fully aware of how people my age have mood swings, but when comparing them to other's, they seem more severe. I know I should see my docotor to get a final word, but it just seems scary...

"But all bubbles have a way of bursting or being deflated in the end." -Barry Gibb

http://aestia.deviantart.com/ <--- Please check out my art!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Anatidaephobia Offline
Smile :) You're beautiful!
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emma

Re: Bipolar?? - April 10th 2011, 05:36 PM

It can seems scary but it will help you find out for sure. Maybe if you feel you cannot say or then write it down? Its the only way you will know for sure and it will help to put your mind at rest

xxxxxxx Take care xxxxxxx

If you ever need ANYTHING just ask (:
Feel Free to leave me a message anytime:
VmPM

I won't let you close enough to hurt me
help link mentor Live help operator
  Send a message via MSN to Anatidaephobia Send a message via Skype™ to Anatidaephobia 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Bipolar?? - April 10th 2011, 05:45 PM

Hey Renee,

As Jen said, it's highly unlikely that you have Bipolar, especially since not only is it uncommon for it to be diagnosed in people under 18 (since, once again, mood swings ARE normal in your teen years, and something EXTREMELY specific would be the way to warrant a diagnosis), but also, most people misunderstand what Bipolar Disorder mood swings are actually like.

Do you think you could be a bit more specific about your mood swings? What are your Happy moments like? Depressed moments? If you don't feel comfortable talking about them here, feel free to PM me.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#7 (permalink)) Old
katie4evrr1 Offline
Love <3 You
Average Joe

Name: Katie

Re: Bipolar?? - April 11th 2011, 12:48 AM

Ok i am feeling like im in the same position and i figured since someone else asked the question i can add my own...

I haven't let my parents know th at it's a possibility but i have noticed my moods have gotten alot more extreme. even my mom has commented on my attitude. I understand that teens my agae are going through alot of hormones and that is what i am praying it is because i don't know if i could handle being diagnosed bipolar...

So here are how my mood swings go.. I will start out super excited and have a very high personality, i mean i will literally be soaring. Joking, laughing, bouncying around, very talkitive. However, then on thing will happen like dropping my stuff will have my attitude dropping really quickly. I will get angry and anyone that comes up to me i will get an attitude with. This happened earlier today and i ended up yelling at my mom for no reason. I lied to her and told her i was just having a bad day but really i didn't. I have NO IDEA why i freaked out. Also i have hit moments of pure depression where i have sat and cried in bed for no reason... My mom and some of my friends think im just an emotional person. But im not so sure..

I know those online tests can't fully diagnose me but they are supposed to give you an idea right? Well my tests said that i had moderate to severe bipolar symptoms. Im worried about tellin my mom and her thinking im crazy or my dad making fun of me. By the way thats another thing that will set me off if im in the wrong mood, if my dad makes a non serious joke about me it will truly P.O me off and i wont talk to him or ill yell at him.

I have heard that the pill helps regulate hormones.. Does anyone think i should maybe try that (after talking to someone first) and see if it makes any changes... My mom almost had me do that because i went through BIG mood swings a little while back.

Im sorry this is so long but i really want help... </3 any advice or opinions??

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Bipolar?? - April 11th 2011, 12:25 PM

Hey Katie,

Once again, doesn't sound like Bipolar Disorder, since Bipolar is more complicated. Plus, one of the biggest things is that, you said your mood can go from Happy to Depressed with one bad move (i.e. dropping your books). This is uncharacteristic of Bipolar Disorder.

The mood swings you're experiencing could easily just be teenage hormones, and I think trying the pill could possibly curb it. But, I suggest asking your doctor about the mood swings, because other things can cause mood swings, and bad Depression, such as Thyroid problems, even. Though I doubt you have a problem with your Thyroid, my point is, a lot of things can determine why your moods are how they are, so figuring out your options with your doctor would probably be better. No point in going on the pill if it's no necessary, or not going to serve the purpose you're looking for, right?

You can feel free to PM me as well.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Bipolar?? - April 13th 2011, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestai
I think I may be bipolar. I've noticed major mood swings, i've spent many hours researching symptoms, even took online screenings. Most of what I came up with supports that I am bipolar, and I scored pretty high in all of the screenings and they suggest that I get tested... But I'm scared and I'm afraid to... any advice? On anything to do with bipolar???
Online tests aren't worth your while, they're inaccurate, often don't consider the fact there are multiple types of bipolar, etc... . Your age suggests it's likely not bipolar. A rule of thumb in psychiatry and abnormal psychology is if a person presents symptoms at a young age, those symptoms are often quite severe and intense, more so than if they developed at a later age. So when you ask if you have bipolar, looking at your age automatically raises suspicion that it's not.

Your mood swings can be more extreme than your peers, however, that does not indicate a mental illness of any form because there's a range of emotional expressions considered normal. Yours likely is within that range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaVeMeFrOmMySeLf96 View Post
So here are how my mood swings go.. I will start out super excited and have a very high personality, i mean i will literally be soaring. Joking, laughing, bouncying around, very talkitive. However, then on thing will happen like dropping my stuff will have my attitude dropping really quickly. I will get angry and anyone that comes up to me i will get an attitude with. This happened earlier today and i ended up yelling at my mom for no reason. I lied to her and told her i was just having a bad day but really i didn't. I have NO IDEA why i freaked out. Also i have hit moments of pure depression where i have sat and cried in bed for no reason... My mom and some of my friends think im just an emotional person. But im not so sure..
By the way thats another thing that will set me off if im in the wrong mood, if my dad makes a non serious joke about me it will truly P.O me off and i wont talk to him or ill yell at him.
This is not bipolar at all for a few reasons but the main reason is your emotional response is dependent upon what happens to you. That is, you drop your stuff and you react emotionally. While people with bipolar do have emotional responses dependent upon what happens, these reactions are not the symptoms. Instead, the symptoms would occur and be independent upon what happens. For example, if someone were having a rather intense manic episode, they could fall down the stairs and continue with the mania. They probably wouldn't inspect themselves for any injuries, rather they'd continue on being the mania. In your case, you'd fall down the stairs and be angry or sad about it especially if you hurt yourself or it was in public. Those are normal emotional responses to such a situation.

Quote:
I know those online tests can't fully diagnose me but they are supposed to give you an idea right? Well my tests said that i had moderate to severe bipolar symptoms. Im worried about tellin my mom and her thinking im crazy or my dad making fun of me.
The online tests aren't accurate nor do they give any idea. For bipolar, there are several types and most online tests will not register that. Furthermore, there are many mental illnesses that would have similar symptoms so the tests don't have differential diagnoses. In other words, they could recognize there's something emotional about you but it could be 10 different things and they couldn't label it properly.

There are official self-report tests that you can do as they're scientifically tested and created. Some are general whereas others are specific to a particular mental illness. For example, the MMPI-II is an accurate general one whereas the BDI-II is specific to depression. Many of these aren't online, especially the MMPI-II because the analysis of the results is incredibly complex. In fact, the MMPI-II requires one to have a certificate to analyze it and has a several 100 page book dedicated to describing its analysis.

Quote:
I have heard that the pill helps regulate hormones.. Does anyone think i should maybe try that (after talking to someone first) and see if it makes any changes... My mom almost had me do that because i went through BIG mood swings a little while back.
The issue is hormones exaggerate behaviours and are necessary for your growth. At a young age, a doctor would only recommend such treatment if your symptoms are extremely strong and yours are not. Also, many pharmacological treatments aren't meant for people under 18 because they'll affect the hormones that are fluctuating a hell of a lot already. I would say, from an amateur opinion, to not do so.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#10 (permalink)) Old
K8T Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Bipolar?? - April 15th 2011, 12:22 PM

lithium works well for me

Closed Thread