TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Prozac. - April 11th 2011, 06:18 PM

So I've been prescribed my first course of anti-depressents and I'm just wondering about side-effects, do's and don'ts etc etc.

I know that it comes with a leaflet explaining poss. side effects but I always disregard those - my doc mentioned its likely I'll be nauseous and I wondered if anyone could testify as to how bad? I've warned my boss that I'm on some new meds for "stomach problems" that might disagree with me, but I don't want to spend the next few days spewing my guts up.

Can I drive while on prozac? And what about drinking? I don't really drink heavily but often have a glass of wine with dinner, and I was hoping for a night out with my mates when they're back from uni next week. If I'm not allowed to, well I can party like a trooper anyway when I'm sober, it'll just save me getting a taxi home, eh? [Unless I cant drive....]

Ta guys

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Prozac. - April 11th 2011, 06:24 PM

Hey there

Well personally I have felt nothing from Prozac in the past and now (I have now been on it for eight weeks). I had no side affects or anything. However my sister got awful stomach pains and couldn't even walk properly when she was on it so I guess it's down to each individual.

You're not suppose to drink anything from a doctors recommendation although I have looked on the internet and found quite a few people on the medication who do have a glad of wine and to feel no difference. It just says on one site drinking might increase your chances of side affects. If it makes you drowsy (which can be a side affect) then you shouldn't drive.

I really hope they start to help you.

Chin up,
Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
erinybob Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Erin

Re: Prozac. - April 11th 2011, 07:21 PM

It varies for everyone, but normally if you do have side effects they regulate themselves within 6 weeks.
You can still drive on prozac, but if you get dizzy spells of it don't drive until you've stopped getting them.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: Prozac. - April 11th 2011, 07:50 PM

Hey Jo,

I have been on prozac in the past and didn't get any side effects from it at all. Also if you do get any side effects they should wear off within a few days. Prozac is not meant to give many side effects though since it is a newer anti-depressant. I use to drink alcohol when I was on it and it didn't make a difference so I would say you are ok to drink. I hope they start to help soon

Believe
You can do anything you want to
:-)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Victoria ♥ Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Victoria

Re: Prozac. - April 11th 2011, 08:57 PM

Hi Jo.

For the first week after I started taking it I had tummy ache and felt a bit sick, I felt normal again though after that.

♥ 18.10.08 ♥
LiveHelp Operator

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: Prozac. - April 12th 2011, 06:43 AM

Thanks guys I think it helps hearing it from people on it, rather than reading the silly leaflets. They're so melodramatic

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Prozac. - April 12th 2011, 10:13 AM

Pharmacologically, you're not meant to drink alcohol but at a practical level, at least for prozac, it's not taken literally. You can have some alcohol, as long as you don't get drunk and take it is the main concern. If you wish to do so, you can look up a table of CYP450s (class of enzymes used in drug-drug interactions) and see alcohol affects CYP450 2E1, whereas fluoxetine (aka prozac) has no interactions. However, were you to take fluvoxamine (another SSRI) it has a lot of drug-drug interactions (none with 2E1 though). Citalopram also has interactions but not as many.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: Prozac. - April 12th 2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
Pharmacologically, you're not meant to drink alcohol but at a practical level, at least for prozac, it's not taken literally. You can have some alcohol, as long as you don't get drunk and take it is the main concern. If you wish to do so, you can look up a table of CYP450s (class of enzymes used in drug-drug interactions) and see alcohol affects CYP450 2E1, whereas fluoxetine (aka prozac) has no interactions. However, were you to take fluvoxamine (another SSRI) it has a lot of drug-drug interactions (none with 2E1 though). Citalopram also has interactions but not as many.

O.o
Umm...

Yes!

Thanks for the help

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Alexx Offline
Average Joe

Name: Alex

Re: Prozac. - April 12th 2011, 06:47 PM

I've been taking Prozac for the last month or so, and the only problems I had was a bit of a headache for the first few days. I'm also wondering whether it has effecting my sleeping, which has been worse lately, but I'm not sure whether that's due to other issues. I was also a bit prone to mood swings for the first couple of weeks, but since then have calmed down a lot (my mood swings any way so that may not be an issue). (:

I think, like others have said, it does come down to each individual. However, in the past I tried Citalopram and they really didn't work with me at all and I had quite severe side effects, but with Prozac things have been much much better, so it's definitely a case of finding what's right for you Good luck!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Prozac. - April 12th 2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eremophobia View Post

O.o
Umm...

Yes!

Thanks for the help
LOL, yeah I thought that reaction may happen, although hoping in my mind it wouldn't. The translated version of my previous post was doctors will say don't mix alcohol and prozac but from accounts of those who have, it's fine as long as you don't get hammered then take prozac.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Anatidaephobia Offline
Smile :) You're beautiful!
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emma

Re: Prozac. - April 12th 2011, 10:25 PM

I have been taking prozac and to start with it made me feel a bit sick but that passed after a few days.

You can drive on prozac unless it makes you dizzy or drowsy or you are told you cannot drive.

A glass of alcohol should be ok. You probably should drink it but it shouldn't do to much harm. Just don't drink a lot

xxxxxxx Take care xxxxxxx

If you ever need ANYTHING just ask (:
Feel Free to leave me a message anytime:
VmPM

I won't let you close enough to hurt me
help link mentor Live help operator
  Send a message via MSN to Anatidaephobia Send a message via Skype™ to Anatidaephobia 
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Prozac. - April 12th 2011, 11:28 PM

Every responds to different medicines differently. Prozac had no effect on my boyfriend for one, then he was switched to another (he won't tell me the name for fear I'll get a hold of it for fun ) and it made him have horribly fun (but probably unhealthy) hallucinations. Like, for instance, thinking he was surrounded by water during class lol But now he's on Lexapro and he doesn't seem to have any problems

As for me, I started and am still on Prozac, and everything seems to be... better for the most part. It's not great, but I have no side effects. The worst though you'd probably get though is maybe a little insomnia

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: Prozac. - April 13th 2011, 07:35 AM

So far I just have a headache, touch of nausea and some epic drowsiness. But I figure it could be just as pyschological as it is actual side effects.

Soo....sleeeeeepy *honk shuu*

And ta guys...this can be closed now

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: Prozac. - April 14th 2011, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eremophobia View Post
And ta guys...this can be closed now
On it. By the way, great to see you by the way, Jo. You were here when I was a wee tot (meaning, I was new) on staff, and I always love seeing old faces. Glad these lovely guys were able to help ya out.

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
Closed Thread