TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
StaceyB1992 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Stacey

Unhappy Finally Cracked.... - April 15th 2011, 09:32 AM

Hiya,

Im 18 and have been suffering with self harm and suicidal thoughts for nearly 4 years now. I have been seeing a counsellor since December and trying to get my life back on track. It feels as if seeing the counsellor is making me feel worse. I get really angry and as a result, I hurt myself by cutting, punching, pinching or hitting myself. Yesterday though, I got so angry and had know where to go to hurt myself and the anger built up so high in a matter of hours. I was out with a friend and I completley lost it and hit him, harder then I've ever hit before. I didn't know what I was doing and couldn't stop myself. He was in so much pain and I felt so guilty. I'm scared of leaving the house and being alone with someone now incase I do it again. I have also started taking Citalopram, I haven't been prescribed it, but I found some that belonged to my brother, but he no longer uses it. I know this is'nt right, but I need to try something.

If anyone can help me decide my next step, it will be greatly appreciated. Much Love,
Stacey xxxx

(#2 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: Finally Cracked.... - April 15th 2011, 10:32 AM

Hey Stacey,

I think it is good you have been seeing a counsellor for your problems. Have you discussed other ways to express your anger with your counsellor? They would be able to help you with this and look at other ways to cope with it rather than take it out on yourself or other people.

You really shouldn't take your brothers medication because it might cause you side effects and it could also cause you to feel worse. There are other problems as well such as when you stop taking it suddenly you will get bad side effects. I think you should talk to your doctor about it and tell them that you have been taking your brothers medication and you feel you need some medication.

You can get better and you will get better. It just might take time. I am always here if you want to chat. Stay strong.

Believe
You can do anything you want to
:-)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
lanaslifetips Offline
Lana's Life Tips
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lana's Life Tips

Re: Finally Cracked.... - April 15th 2011, 10:58 AM

You seem to have so much pain inside you so it is no wonder you finally cracked as you say! It is good to see a counsellor as they can really help you get through troubling times but you don't seem to be benefiting by this relationship with your counsellor. Can I suggest you look for another counsellor who CAN help you, is your counsellor trained to help you with your specific problems?

Anger is a state of emotion, do you know what you are angry with? What is causing the anger. Can you channel this anger into something more constructive ~ perhaps go the gym, go for a run to help alleviate tension.

You are doing the right things and I know it is damn hard when life gets you down to pick yourself back up. You can do it ~ you are always stronger inside than you know.

Please take care of yourself and I hope you find your rainbow soon xxxx

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Victoria ♥ Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Victoria

Re: Finally Cracked.... - April 15th 2011, 11:10 AM

Hey Stacey.

Iím sorry to hear how youíve been struggling over the past few years. I do, however, think itís good youíre now seeing a counsellor. If youíre finding the counselling difficult or feel itís making you worse then itís really important you let your counsellor know. Your counsellor may be able to take a different approach or talk to you about how angry youíre feeling at the moment.

I definitely donít think you should be taking your brothers medication. I can understand that you feel you need to try something, but taking someone elses medication is illegal, and like Jen said, it can cause side affects. I know that talking to your doctor can seem scary, but they are there to help you. They can offer support and may be able to refer you to other services that can help. If you feel that the counselling isnít working for you, then this is also something you could mention to your doctor. They may suggest other types of therapy that you may find more helpful. Your doctor may suggest you try medication, but they will be able to monitor and control it in a safer way.

It seems like youíve been struggling with self harm lately and I understand how difficult that can be. If you havenít already, I think it would be a good idea to look through the Alternatives to self harm thread. If you look through the first section it gives you ideas on what may help if youíre feeling angry or restless, so you might find that trying something off that list may help, particularly with how youíve been feeling recently.

Things can get better Stacey, please think about talking to your doctor. Iím always here if you want to talk.

Stay strong,
Vicky.

♥ 18.10.08 ♥
LiveHelp Operator

(#5 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sabah

Re: Finally Cracked.... - April 19th 2011, 07:44 PM

Hi stacey, so sorry to hear what you're going through. I can really relate to it. First off like the others have said, you really shouldn't be taking your brothers medication. That can really make you poorly because you need to be taking a correct dosage prescribed for you. I got put on Citalopram and i stopped taking it coz it make me feel worse. why don't you try going to the doctor and talking to him about your problems, that way they can suggest suitable treatments. also tell him that you feel the councelling is making you worse, maybe you just need to see someone else.
Hope you're able to sort things out soon,
Take care
xxx

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Porcelain Child Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Claire

Re: Finally Cracked.... - April 28th 2011, 05:35 PM

It good you got a counsellor and you are managing to get things off your chest.. I am a little worried that you are taking your brothers meds, you need to go and see your doctor and ask for the meds yourself.. It would be a safer option..
  Send a message via MSN to Porcelain Child Send a message via Skype™ to Porcelain Child 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Noah Zomby Offline
<3
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Noah Mohandas Tanner

Re: Finally Cracked.... - April 28th 2011, 11:07 PM

:P Everyone pretty much said what I was thinking. So I'll sum it up.

Here's what I think you should do:
Open up to your counselor and tell her that the treatment isn't helping and she can take a different approach. If he/she doesn't, then I think it's time to get a new counselor.
Stop taking your brother's meds. Just a bad idea in many ways.
Talk to your doctor. He/She can probably prescribe the same meds to you so those many ways don't become your way.
Tell your doctor about the counseling not working. You can almost never have too much help. Anyone and everyone can help, you just have to let them know. He/She can maybe talk to you about different types of therapy.

You can and will get pass this. I have faith in you. <3

Risk something, take back what's yours.
Say something that you know they might attack you for.
Cause I'm sick of being treated like I have before.
Like it's stupid standing for, what I'm standing for.

When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die.

Your voice is your own, I can't protect it.

You'll have to sing.
A verse no one has ever, known.
Don't be afraid.
Cause no one ever sings, alone.
Love all.

Closed Thread