TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Question - April 23rd 2011, 02:11 PM

Do parents get embarrassed if their child is diagnosed with a mental health problem? Do they think it looks bad on them? Does it look bad on them?

I want to know why my mum is acting the way she is. I haven't been diagnosed with anything. I can't even get any help.

She called my self harm my 'silly hurting myself thing' and she says that I just act the way I do to make myself more interesting. She says she's looking out for me and trying to do the best for me but if I tell her that something's up she doesn't believe me.

Do you think she really thinks I'm just an attention seeker or is she scared to find out the truth?

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Angel Offline
The final horcrux
I've been here a while

Re: Question - April 23rd 2011, 03:09 PM

There's no way for us to know what your mother really thinks. It is difficult for some people to face the truth, though. Finding out that a person they love is hurting can bring feelings of fear, guilt, and confusion. Some people may distance themselves from the situation. You need to let your mother know that you need her. Although she may not know how to react in this situation, I'm certain that she cares for you just the same. Perhaps you can help her better understand you by explaining self harm and why you hurt yourself, and how it affects you.

I don't think it is embarrassing for a parent to have a child who has a psychological problem. It does not necessarily make the parent look bad unless they are not as supportive as they could be for their child.

I hope you are able to work things out with your mother. :)

"Years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Question - April 23rd 2011, 04:48 PM

There are many reasons, as Angel said, why a parent might avoid discussing mental illness, or avoiding supporting the idea.

Have you tried asking your mother why she doesn't seem to acknowledge it how you wish she would?

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: Question - April 23rd 2011, 08:27 PM

I'm scared to because she just says that I'm just trying to make myself interesting.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
This Time I'll Make You Proud.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Re: Question - April 23rd 2011, 10:20 PM

Don't be scared sweetheart. Try to get through them to tell them that you need help is tough. Even just telling my mom that I wanted to see a personal counselor was hard for me.
If shes not believing you, that shes saying that your just trying to get attention or just trying to seem more interesting, you really do need to sit down with her and tell her whats really going on and that for the sake of your health that you need to get some help. If she doesnt listen again, try looking online by yourself for help. Im sure there has to be something in you area that can help you. Thats exactly what I've been doing.
Maybe its just not registering to her because shes surprised that you would harm yourself. I dont know. But like I said , try sitting her down and talking to her. Maybe it will come through to her. Just tell her that for your health you want to see someone about it.
Take care <3
And if you need to talk to anyone about it, you can PM at anytime

"..And if you're perusing the social media networks, I urge you to keep your fucking opinions to yourself. If you're going ruin someone's day, ruin your own."
- Bert McCracken

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Porcelain Child Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Claire

Re: Question - April 28th 2011, 05:16 PM

My mum is the same, she doesn't understand my mental health and says i am attention seeker.. Some moms just can't cope with their children suffering.. Or some just don't understand..
  Send a message via MSN to Porcelain Child Send a message via Skype™ to Porcelain Child 
Closed Thread