TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

excessive phobia of spiders. - April 24th 2011, 07:06 PM

i have an excessive phobia of spiders. my family are getting fed up of it, i cant sit in the garden on the benches , even when its been cleaned because im convinced theres a spider somewhere even though its been cleaned, its really begining to take over my life, i cant watch any tv show to do with spiders, i cant look at a picture of them, the word spider alone scares me, i cant look at them in a glass container either. what can i do about this phobia, its really begining to take over my life, to the point where i refuse to eat outside or anything like that because of i fear that a spider is going to crawl over me or something.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: excessive phobia of spiders. - April 25th 2011, 03:24 AM

Hi there,

Arachnophobia is actually quite common, I hear. You're right in acknowledging that you need to take action before this phobia begins to confine you and your lifestyle even more. The longer you wait to face this phobia, the worse its going to become. I hear what you're saying about it bieng difficult to even think about. I actually originally came to TeenHelp however many years back over a phobia of public speaking. Did TH help? Yeah. Did it get me over my phobia of public speaking? No. The only thing that DID get me over my phobia? Public speaking. Facing it. I was forced to take a public speaking course in college. Now, I'm sooooo much more relaxed about it and almost to the point where I don't mind it at all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that you go out and find a pet spider to play with or something ridiculous. Nah, I'm just suggesting that perhaps you venture on a self-assigned project to educate yourself about spiders - the different kinds, which ones are harmless versus which ones aren't, their sizes, their lifestyles, their appetites... I know its going to take a lot of willpower, and it certainly isn't going to be glamorous, but I imagine this sort of.. almost desensitization type thing... is going to be the only thing that will get you past your fear. Whilst doing this, grab support from friends and families. As I mentioned, its going to be tough, so if you have the support of those who love you, that may make it a bit less stressful for you. (:

I decided to do a bit of searching, and found an article from one of my favorite sites to link to ever, Kid's Health...which talks about overcoming phobias using this method. If you want to check that out, click here.

I hope this finds you well.

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: excessive phobia of spiders. - April 25th 2011, 10:37 AM

i know where the fear started, i was in school doing work and a spider came out of now where and landed on my workbook, it was a big one too, and made me jump , and i just remember shooting up out of my chair and screaming and getting told off because there was'nt anything wrong. since then i have feared spiders. there's not any dangerous ones in england. the worst ones and the big meaty ones with big bodys and thick legs. can get near to them if they're in the bath and am armed with the bath shower and can shower them away, but other than that, i cant get near them. which is'nt really good given i work in a pre-school and the kids often have the toy bugs and insects out and are often shoving the toy spider in my face and even that sends me running to the other end of the room and though i know it justs a toy spider it still scares me. i think i could start with the toy spider at work when the kids are playing with it and whilst with the kids sitting there and playing with them with the toy spider and telling myself its just a toy its nothing to be being scared of, then maybe progress onto looking at real pictures of spiders. and then touching a small spider. that might work. i had a look at the site and it helped , thats where i got the idea of starting with the toy spider at work from.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
kgo446 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: excessive phobia of spiders. - May 2nd 2011, 04:21 PM

Firstly, good for you for admitting you have a problem.
I would strongly suggest talking to someone, even your family doctor.
They CAN help and they DO care.
You can't let this take over your life anymore.
Best of luck

Closed Thread