TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Constantly tired - April 26th 2011, 11:17 PM

So for a while since I started taking meds I've had to take an afternoon nap in order to function. Recently, it just hasn't been enough. My doctor said when I get tired to exercise and be active instead of sleeping. I am able to do that once or twice but after that I just crash the next day. I already hated the fact I have to waste time in my day just so I can function but now it's ridiculous. I've become so tired it feels like all my body parts weigh an extra 100 pounds. I fall asleep at school, go to sleep early, sleep late, and take 3 hour naps. It's so frustrating. My mom is annoyed I'm sleeping when I'm supposed to be doing work which is understandable but I just physically don't have the energy to do anything.

Today for example just walking around school I felt like at any second I was going to pass out, even when I was just going from class to class. I almost fell asleep in pretty much all my classes and I had gotten a good 10 hours of sleep last night. I came home, slept for two hours. My mom woke me up, told me to do homework so I tried. After about a half hour of doing almost nothing I fell back to sleep another few hours. My mom gets so pissed at me and I just can't stay away. I'm so sick of being tired all the time. First it was annoying but now it's gone way past that. I feel like I just want to sleep my life away. Every day all I look forward to is going home and going to sleep. What's wrong with me?

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Constantly tired - April 27th 2011, 01:09 AM

What medication are you taking and for what? You might want to ask your doctor about maybe changing your medication regiment. It's not worth taking medication to make a medical condition or mental illness bearable enough to live normally if that medication just makes it hard to live again!

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: Constantly tired - April 27th 2011, 12:01 PM

It seems as though this is a side effect of the medication that you are taking. If the side effects are too much for you to handle, speak up about it. You have to inform the doctor about these sorts of things. I can see how constantly being asleep can cause your mother to get angry.

Have you had problems staying awake before you were prescribed to this medication?

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Name: Kaveri

Re: Constantly tired - April 27th 2011, 12:40 PM

Hey Alessa,

As Rick and Jess have pointed out, maybe it's a side-effect of the medicine and if so, you should talk to your doctor about it.

However, for something immediate to control sleeping, I'd suggest sleeping at particular hours and not more than that (exceptions, of course, but try to make a habit of it). For example, sleep only for 8 hours maximum at night. Sleep after school for 2 hours. Sometimes, exercise tires out more than anything. Taking a cold shower should wake you up. Maybe try that? Or doing something you like doing, that will keep your attention, in between work that you are obligated to do?

But, yes, whatever it is, talking to your doc should be on your list if this continues! hope you feel better!

~Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place where she's loved.

Concrete Angel

"And so I grew from colt to stallion
As wild and as reckless as thunder over the land.
Racing with the eagle, soaring with the wind.
Flying? There were times I believed I could."

HelpLINK Mentor - 2.4.2011
LiveHelp Operator - 18.6.2011

Send a message via MSN to Spirit. Send a message via Skype™ to Spirit. 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Finches Offline
I'm All Ears
Average Joe

Re: Constantly tired - April 28th 2011, 04:10 AM

Medication can have nasty side-effects like that. When I took my medication, I remember sleeping more than usual. I just became quite lazy. After being off of it, I'm slowly regaining my old form.

I know it's hard, so maybe you should talk to your psychiatrist about it. You always have the power to switch to another brand.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: Constantly tired - April 28th 2011, 09:53 AM

I have been on medication in the past that made me so sleepy that it was really hard to function. It is horrible being tired all the time. In the end I started taking the medication at night so then it helped me sleep and I was ok the next day. Perhaps you could try this if it was possible. I hope you manage to sort things out

Believe
You can do anything you want to
:-)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: Constantly tired - April 28th 2011, 08:01 PM

Thanks guys for all your responses. My phyciatrist is a dumbo Every time I go there he asks about my sleeping and I tell him that I'm always tired and he's just like ok. And then moves on. It took a while for him to finally find medication that works for me so I know he's really reluctant to change it. I've tried before but I'll just keep at it. At this point though it's so ridiculous I refuse to take it until my mom flips out at me for like 3 hours and finally gets me to take it. I'm such a lovely child

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

Closed Thread