TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Paix et Amour Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Not sure if this is the right forum for this - April 28th 2011, 08:38 PM

but my mom just made me an appointment to see a therapist, and this is the first time i have ever gone to one... what can i expect? i have no idea what to expect for a first visit.... can you please tell me what they will be asking about? thanks
  Send a message via MSN to Paix et Amour Send a message via Skype™ to Paix et Amour 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Not sure if this is the right forum for this - April 29th 2011, 04:00 AM

Hey-

Seeing a therapist can sound really scary, but it's not usually like in the movies. The first session they will probably just want to get to know you. If your mom comes with you, in my experience they've had my mother come in with me for part, then makes the parents leave. The therapist will probably ask you about things like where do you go to school and how that's going, about your family, friends, etc. They shouldn't really ask too in depth of questions.

If you feel uncomfortable, just let them know. They won't push you too far. They are professionals! And if you don't like the one you see, ask your mom to try around and see if you can find someone you feel like eventually you'll be comfortable opening up to.

Be honest with them, because if you're not honest, theres no way they can get the whole picture and be the most beneficial they can.

If you have any other questions, feel free to pm me!
Maria.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Porcelain Child Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Claire

Re: Not sure if this is the right forum for this - April 29th 2011, 07:13 PM

They probably wanna get to know you first and find out what you like doing and just know abit about what you are about and try to be honest with them.. They will ask some questions to find out what is going on for you..
  Send a message via MSN to Porcelain Child Send a message via Skype™ to Porcelain Child 
Closed Thread