TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FlyOnTheWall Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question Is it possible she is right and I'm bipolar or something? - May 5th 2011, 12:29 AM

I think might actually be something wrong with me. For the past almost 3 years (Iím almost 16 now) Iíve just figured all the problem was just in my head and that it was my own fault I was so sad, so I learned tried to deal but lately Iíve been talking to one friend of mine and she thinks Iím bipolar like she is. I smile when I should still do well in school decent grades, honors classes, class president even. But Iím falling apart. I donít think. Idk if I can. I have scars all over my legs. And well I have no good reason to be sad. I mean of course I have problems but they are minor. My mom controlling my life, I live for other people (take care of my big sisters like they are younger a lot of the time but Iím kind of used to it), I feel so lonely always but I have some friends at school and I mean Iím not like alone always. I shouldnít feel this way.

Sometimes the numbness I feel goes away though. Sometimes, Iím even happy! I love those afternoons where I can just get away from my house and away from this world were Iím trying so hard to be good enough but I canít be.. Sometimes though I freak out a little bit, those nights I throw my stuffed animals at the wall, wish I could still cry, and sometimes I cut.. I freak out I try texting or talking to one of my friends lately when that happens but I sound SO crazy. Saying how I hate them I hate myself, all these mean things I shouldnít say.. Is it all just inside my head or could it actually be something? I'm so scared to get help I don't want to hurt my family who is all convinced I'm happy..

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Is it possible she is right and I'm bipolar or something? - May 5th 2011, 02:21 AM

That doesn't sound like bipolar at all, from experience just cause I have bipolar.

It actually just sounds like some sort of depression. Bipolar includes depression yes, but the key component is mania or hypomania. Mania or hypomania is hard to describe so I'm just going to direct you to wikipedia or google, but its a lot more than being happy. Everything you described to me though sounds like a mix of normal teenage hormones and maybe some depression.
It would still merit a visit to a profesional though so I would make an appointment with your doctor to speak about it.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
katie4evrr1 Offline
Love <3 You
Average Joe

Name: Katie

Re: Is it possible she is right and I'm bipolar or something? - May 5th 2011, 02:24 AM

Okay, from what you have said, though feel free to add more details so I can get an even better understanding, you are most likely severely depressed. This can cause mood swings but its more from the stress thrown on you. Taking care of your sisters can be causeing you to break in spirit. Although you should talk to a docter before being 100% sure. I know i am ALOT like you. I actually am planning on going in for testing for bipolar and i am only 14. Can you go more in depth on you mood swings? Because for me they are very bad. One minute I will feel like I am having a personal high. However, all of a sudden I will get into an angery mood, then everyone has hell to pay. But this is usually caused for no reason for me... Have you ever found yourself crying and not knowing why? Maybe, screaming at someone because you felt like you needed to? Or is it caused by minimal things that will set you off?

Another possibility I forgot to mention was hormones... that causes TONS of mood swings and can make you feel like there is something wrong. Maybe try doing alittle research and then having a discussion with your docter. They can give medication to help like birth control or anti depressants (<--- only if really bad), however, they usually stick with birth control if female (which i am assuming you are, lemme know if im wrong) xp. Hope I helped!! be Strong <3

Remember, The steeper the hill... The better the veiw in the end <3
Without Love Im always gonna be lost aren't I?

Your only mad 'cause I'm stronger now and you can't push me around

My Daddy once told me I was to weak to accomplish my dream, so I did it . . .

NEVER take life too seriously,
nobody gets out alive anyway ...

Closed Thread