TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Can someone tell me about Borderline personality disorder? - May 20th 2011, 06:33 AM

Anyone who has it, or just someone who knows about it, please? Also, how and when is diagnosis possible?

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Can someone tell me about Borderline personality disorder? - May 20th 2011, 07:56 AM

I notice you're in England, so I will NOT be mentioning the DSM criteria which you often see on this site because it isn't applicable to you. Instead, I will use the ICD-10. In it, there is emotionally unstable personality disorder. It has 2 sub-types: impulsive type and borderline type. The borderline type is very similar to borderline personality disorder EXCEPT there is no mention of dissociative symptoms. The impulsive type is self-explanatory.

The purpose of dividing emotionally unstable personality disorder into those 2 sub-types is when you look at the diagnostic criteria in the DSM-IV-TR for borderline personality disorder, you can easily see these distinct features. The usage of the sub-types helps for clarifying the symptoms because in the DSM-IV-TR, you need to have at least 5 of 9 symptoms. As a result, there can be over 100 people with different combinations of symptoms and all have the same diagnosis, which makes it become incredibly ambiguous and vague. The sub-types have their own issues though.

Before considering such a diagnosis, you need to meet the criteria for a general personality disorder. This includes having the symptoms since around childhood until present with no break in their occurrence, they occur regardless of context and are extremely resistant to being changed.

Below is a link to part of the ICD-10 so you can see what emotionally unstable personality disorder entails:

http://apps.who.int/classifications/...line/?gf60.htm

For comparison purposes, here is a link to the DSM-IV-TR criteria for borderline personality disorder:

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/ps...81/bpd-dsm.htm

In terms of treatment, most often there is a special type of cognitive-behavioural psychotherapy called dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT). It was made specifically for borderline personality disorder and has a high rate of success. There will also be pharmacological treatments (i.e. medications), however, it depends what symptoms you have and the intensity of them. Anti-psychotics are usually used to address the dissociative symptoms present only in the DSM-IV-TR, however, such medications are effective in helping to maintain one's mood/emotions as they tend to be quite sedating.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Can someone tell me about Borderline personality disorder? - May 20th 2011, 03:15 PM

Hey Hester,

As someone who has been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, I can give you some information.

First of all, one important thing about diagnosis (if you're even considering this for yourself) is that, it's uncommon (to the point of being controversial) for somebody under 18 to be diagnosed with this, unless their symptoms are extreme. The reasoning behind this is because, well, teenagers are still developing their personality until then, really.

The user above brought up some good information, if you'd like to read up on it. But, if you have any other questions, feel free to post here, or even PM me.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

Closed Thread