TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BethGoesRawr Offline
JustBethReally
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Beth

ADHD? - May 30th 2011, 12:54 PM

do I have ADHD? Im 12 years old and I get huge urges in class to walk about or break stuff. i also can't be around scissors because i cut things (paper, card ect.) I scratch tables and walls with it too. I have to draw all the time too, i draw how i feel on my work aswell which i get in trouble for sometimes.
are any of these symptoms of ADHD/ADD or is it just a strange habbit?

p.s ive been like this since i was like 6 years old.

Last edited by BethGoesRawr; May 30th 2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: colour

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Emy Bug Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Emily

Re: ADHD? - May 30th 2011, 01:01 PM

I think it's just a strange habbit 'cause I do weird and random stuff and I've never been diagnosed with ADHD. (ADD is the shortend verson of it) Lots of girls (and boys) can't play with sissors so don't feel like the only one. As for drawing your emotion on your paper, I think we're the only one's that do that :/ but no. I do not think your ADHD. You would be ALOT crazier. (I know. 2 of my friends are ADHD and thay both refuse to take ADHD pills)
(ADHD= Attention Distraction Hyperactive Disorder. ADD= Attention Distraction Disorder)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: ADHD? - May 30th 2011, 02:42 PM

I'd have to disagree with Emily here. We cannot diagnose, but I'd say it kinda sounds like it based on what I learned. I have my associate's in Psychology and I want to help those with disabilities.

Here are the symptoms of ADHD :

Inattention may not become apparent until a child enters the challenging environment of school. In adults, symptoms of inattention may manifest in work or in social situations.

A person with ADHD may have some or all of the following symptoms:
  • difficulty paying attention to details and tendency to make careless mistakes in school or other activities; producing work that is often messy and careless
  • easily distracted by irrelevant stimuli and frequently interrupting ongoing tasks to attend to trivial noises or events that are usually ignored by others
  • inability to sustain attention on tasks or activities
  • difficulty finishing schoolwork or paperwork or performing tasks that require concentration
  • frequent shifts from one uncompleted activity to another
  • procrastination
  • disorganized work habits
  • forgetfulness in daily activities (for example, missing appointments, forgetting to bring lunch)
  • failure to complete tasks such as homework or chores
  • frequent shifts in conversation, not listening to others, not keeping one's mind on conversations, and not following details or rules of activities in social situations
Hyperactivity symptoms may be apparent in very young preschoolers and are nearly always present before the age of seven. Symptoms include:
  • fidgeting, squirming when seated
  • getting up frequently to walk or run around
  • running or climbing excessively when it's inappropriate (in teens this may appear as restlessness)
  • having difficulty playing quietly or engaging in quiet leisure activities
  • being always on the go
  • often talking excessively
Hyperactivity may vary with age and developmental stage.

Impulsivity symptoms include:
  • impatience
  • difficulty delaying responses
  • blurting out answers before questions have been completed
  • difficulty awaiting one's turn
  • frequently interrupting or intruding on others to the point of causing problems in social or work settings
  • initiating conversations at inappropriate times
Impulsivity may lead to accidents such as knocking over objects or banging into people. Children with ADHD may also engage in potentially dangerous activities without considering the consequences. For instance, they may climb to precarious positions.
Many of these symptoms occur from time to time in normal youngsters. However, in children with ADHD they occur frequently -- at home and at school or when visiting with friends. They also interfere with the child's ability to function normally.
ADHD is diagnosed after children consistently display some or all of the above behaviors in at least two settings, such as at home and in school, for at least six months.

There are all the symptoms from webmd. I would suggest you talk to your parents and see a Psychiatrist to be formally diagnosed if you do have ADHD. The sooner you do this, the better off you will be. Early treatment is always the best.

Hope this helps.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Elliotte

Re: ADHD? - May 30th 2011, 05:11 PM

It's Attention Deficit Disorder, as I'm aware of it. Or Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder. And as someone who is also studying psychology, same as Chloe, I'm going to respectfully disagree.

ADHD is one of the most commonly mis-diagnosed disorders, and I would say it's even more commonlya mis-self-diagnosed disorder. I would say it's right up there with Bipolar in that regard. Both seem to be diagnoses that people, and sadly even some doctors, do not understand. To me, you sound 12. In my opinion, there are other reasons behind your behaviour that do not scream disorder to me.

The thing is that you can't get a laundry list of symptoms and expect it to provide you with an accurate or inaccurate diagnosis. Why? Because it's all over-generalised. Because those may be some of the symptoms, behaviours, etc. prevailant in those with the disorder, but it is not just about the symptoms. It is also about how the symptoms present themselves, when, where, over what period of time, etc. It's about a lot more than some checklist.

If you're concerned about it, see a doctor who can refer you to a psychiatrist. See someone who is qualified to diagnose you. You may have it and you may not. But go in with an open mind. If you can convince yourself that you have it, it's possible you will convince the psychiatrist and that opens a whole other can of worms. Do away with the checklist. If your behaviour is interfering with the quality of your life, or if it's worrying you or anyone else, go see a psychiatrist. They will take a look at your behaviour now, your behaviour as a child (from your parents' account), etc. and they will decide whether you do or actually do not have ADHD.

If you feel you'd like additional support or to speak further with me, you can contact me through my personal Tumblr, Love Like An Hourglass (click), or PM me through TH.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: ADHD? - May 31st 2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emy Bug View Post
I think it's just a strange habbit 'cause I do weird and random stuff and I've never been diagnosed with ADHD. (ADD is the shortend verson of it) Lots of girls (and boys) can't play with sissors so don't feel like the only one. As for drawing your emotion on your paper, I think we're the only one's that do that :/ but no. I do not think your ADHD. You would be ALOT crazier. (I know. 2 of my friends are ADHD and thay both refuse to take ADHD pills)
(ADHD= Attention Distraction Hyperactive Disorder. ADD= Attention Distraction Disorder)
ADD is not the shortened form of it, it is the form no longer recognized anywhere in the world. ADHD is recognized all over the world as specified in the ICD-10 and DSM-IV-TR. As mentioned, it's quite mis-diagnosed because parents see their young kids full of energy doing whatever stuff and once the kid won't listen, the parent or teacher thinks ADHD. Many people think you can diagnose someone or simply suggest a possible diagnosis by checking off the list of symptoms like a shopping list. That's pure bullshit. There's diagnostic criteria meant to specify this list in terms of how it would present, where, etc... . As part of the criteria, you will need at least 2 people from different settings to fill out a questionnaire about the child's behaviour. Often it is a teacher and a parent/guardian. This is very important but if you simply look on the list of symptoms, you won't see it.

To the OP, your behaviours don't seem to resemble ADHD for several reasons, including a compulsion to draw, inability to refrain from scratching with scissors (compulsion-like), etc... . Wanting to walk around in class doesn't mean anything, it could be a symptom of ADHD, could be because the class is boring, lack of thrill and so forth.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread