TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
NisaBoo818 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Nisa

Question trust issues?? - June 1st 2011, 03:56 AM

** I'm not entirely sure if this is in the right section so . . . If it is in the wrong section could someone move it for me?? Thankies **

Okay, I'm not sure but I think I have some trust issues. I automatically don't trust people & feel the need to gaurd my feelings/emotions from them. I have a . . . I guess 'default' attitude of mellow with everyone & then if I let them in, they get to see the real me (which can be kinda off-putting :/ ). It takes me like forever to finally open up to people. My best friend, I've known her for 3 years & she's one of the ONLY people that I let in. Normally it takes me a lot longer to open up. Is this a trust issue or is it . . . Normal??

Some people you can never please You might as well just let them be . . . . . .
But I won't bow down even if the whole world thinks I'm CRAZY

(#2 (permalink)) Old
tamz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: trust issues?? - June 1st 2011, 04:03 AM

Hey Nisa,

I guess whether it's an issue or not depends on your feelings towards it. Do you think it's a problem being this way or are you cool with it? Some people are just naturally cautious with letting people in, either something's happened in the past to make them act like it, or that's just the way they happen to be. It's only an issue if you feel it's actually interfering with your life. May I ask what caused you to ask the question if it's the way you've always been?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: trust issues?? - June 1st 2011, 05:32 AM

To an extent, it is normal. I have three friends-one is my boyfriend, one is my twin sister, and the other one I don't tell anyone to. In some cultures, it is normal to have few friends, and tell very few people your deeper secrets. In other cultures, everyone is super friendly. It's not always a bad thing. However, if it is hurting your relationships, you may want to try to open up. But if you are happy with the relationships you have-there is nothing wrong with you, it's just the way you are.
PM me if you ever need.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: trust issues?? - June 1st 2011, 06:18 AM

Hey-

I agree with the others, that it depends on the person. Some people are okay with that. I feel it's unhealthy to not open up to anyone, but you shouldn't have to act like someone else either if that's what you're doing.

Have you talked to your friend about this and how you feel? If you open up to her, perhaps she could offer advice. Even hearing that you're a good person with your guard down can be helpful in trying to put your guard down around people. Our natural defense system is to shut down and not let people in, but it can't always be healthy.

Good luck!
Maria.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jess

Re: trust issues?? - June 3rd 2011, 11:33 PM

Hey.

I guess this would only be an issue if you feel it is, It's not uncommon to have a hard time trusting people and opening up to people. In some ways it may be a good thing, but if it is bothering you, you could try talking to your friend about as soon as you trust her? Like I said it's not unnatural to have a hard time opening up to people especially if they've hurt you in the past.

Feel free to PM me.

Sherlock Holmes 2: A Game Of Shadows.

Robert Downey Jr. - Thank you for everything.
  Send a message via MSN to Oneoftheducklings  
Closed Thread