TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
This Time I'll Make You Proud.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Seeing a Counselor Monday . . - June 2nd 2011, 01:07 AM

This Monday at 1:00, I'm going to see a counselor. I haven't been to a counselor before and I'm kind of nervous. Yes it is a girl (thank god).
If you have been to a counselor, what will I expect? Especially since it's a first time visit, won't she be asking a lot of questions?
Thank you for your answers.

"..And if you're perusing the social media networks, I urge you to keep your fucking opinions to yourself. If you're going ruin someone's day, ruin your own."
- Bert McCracken

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Seeing a Counselor Monday . . - June 2nd 2011, 06:07 AM

Hey Fallon,
I'm so glad you are taking steps to getting better (I'm sorry I'm not familiar with what is wrong, I may be but have forgotten the circumstances!). Seeing a counselor is a big step, and a great one at that.
Your first time visit, she will most likely just like to get to know you better. You don't have to talk about anything you don't want too.
I was in a group therapy via my high school (for substance abuse) for two years. Every year, at our first meeting, we would just talk and get to know each other again.
Believe me, she will not force you into doing anything you aren't ready to speak about yet, and if you aren't comfortable answering any of her questions, let it be known.
You will gradually become more comfortable with her as your sessions go on, and she is there to help so don't hesitate with anything.
Good luck<3

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Name: Kaveri

Re: Seeing a Counselor Monday . . - June 2nd 2011, 07:14 AM

Hi Fallon, glad you're getting the help.
Well, honestly, the first session would mostly involve just getting to know each other and getting acquainted. Don't stress yourself out over it. Just be calm, she's there only to help you. The more we expect, the more we are let down. So don't go there expecting that something will happen, etc. Just take each step as it comes, would be my suggestion.

~Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place where she's loved.

Concrete Angel

"And so I grew from colt to stallion
As wild and as reckless as thunder over the land.
Racing with the eagle, soaring with the wind.
Flying? There were times I believed I could."

HelpLINK Mentor - 2.4.2011
LiveHelp Operator - 18.6.2011

Send a message via MSN to Spirit. Send a message via Skype™ to Spirit. 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Seeing a Counselor Monday . . - June 2nd 2011, 08:08 AM

It's normal to be a little nervous, I know I definitely was the first time I went to counseling.
Just remember that the counselor is only there to help you, and can't make you talk about anything you don't want to talk about.
It won't be that bad. Best of luck. I hope you get what you want out of it and that she is able to help you.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Victoria ♥ Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Victoria

Re: Seeing a Counselor Monday . . - June 2nd 2011, 10:32 AM

Hey Fallon.
It's understandable that you're nervous but i'm sure she'll understand that and try to make it as easy for you as possible. As well as trying to get to know you a bit she might want to talk to you about things like confidentiality. If you don't feel comfortable talking about something then let her know.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

♥ 18.10.08 ♥
LiveHelp Operator

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Seeing a Counselor Monday . . - June 2nd 2011, 01:44 PM

Hi there Fallon,

I can't really tell you exactly what it'll be like because it's different for everyone but just make sure you answer all of the questions they ask you honestly, if you don't tell them everything that's wrong then they won't be able to help you in the best way. I hope it all goes okay.

Also, I'm going to move this thread to Mental Health since I feel it fits better there and you'll get more answers

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Nutty Nat Offline
nuttychick but friendly :)
Average Joe

Name: Natalie

Re: Seeing a Counselor Monday . . - June 2nd 2011, 02:57 PM

Hi , firstly well done for getting help its a big step well i've had quite alot of counsellors. They all start slightly different, i'll tell you what they did in each of the first sessions, after that if u have any questions i'll gladly answer them best i can you can do this by pming me or leaving the question on here or asking me in the chat room and il get back to you ASAP please know that it may be different depending what your going for.
So all of them started off with introducing themselves, and talking to me about confidentality, also the ones after i'd been with 1st one asked me about my previous counselling like what i'd been for if i felt able to open up about them topics though that won't apply to you Also asked me what i'd like to work on, roughly how many sessions they thought i might need as a minimum to work on them. getting to know each other abit, this was like what school your at, what subjects your doing (that part is more for them in the final 2 years), if parents are referring you they may ask your parents stuff infront of you or they may be in a session with her after or before you talk to her - please know that tehy don't always do this depends again what your there for. That's all i remember for now if i remember anything else i'll let you know

Also its nothing to worry about you'll be fine, i've had 8 counsellors so im speaking from experience. It does help if you let it

Love you Naomi R.I.P i miss you loads but i will never forget you
08/11/92 - 10/11/92

R.I.P Gill - I love you as a second mum,will never forget you and all your advice,oh and i will keep smiling like you wanted see
Going to try continue helping people like you wanted and you did,hope i'm making you proud

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Seeing a Counselor Monday . . - June 2nd 2011, 07:22 PM

One thing that I wanted to add is that I have been to 5 different counselors. Not to discourage you or anything, but it's possible that you may not feel comfortable with this counselor. It's also possible that you might like this counselor. Give her time, but if you don't feel comfortable, you can always try to find a different counselor.
It took me 5 tries. Some of the first 4 I didn't like or I just didn't feel comfortable talking to them, but I found that I didn't like talking to females. The last counselor I went to was a male and I felt more comfortable talking to him.
So, in the end it's all about who you're comfortable talking to.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Seeing a Counselor Monday . . - June 2nd 2011, 09:25 PM

Well I'm just going there for multiple reasons. I have body image issues parental issues, just things a teen has to deal with. . and Natalie, my Mom won't be in the room, because then I won't have anything to say :P

"..And if you're perusing the social media networks, I urge you to keep your fucking opinions to yourself. If you're going ruin someone's day, ruin your own."
- Bert McCracken

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Nutty Nat Offline
Average Joe

Re: Seeing a Counselor Monday . . - June 3rd 2011, 07:47 PM

Haha fair enough hun, i was just warning you because sometimes they do that only to find out stuff from them though they don't ask you that stuff infront of someone. Only in one of the counselling sessions did they get parents in first, but it was because school had worries about my mental health, so counsellor needed some facts from my parents it was also about my twin that died so they was best asking them the information but i hope you aren't as nervous now because it is honestly fine x

08/11/92 - 10/11/92

R.I.P Gill - I love you as a second mum,will never forget you and all your advice,oh and i will keep smiling like you wanted see
Going to try continue helping people like you wanted and you did,hope i'm making you proud

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Arie. Offline
Olive you :D
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Seeing a Counselor Monday . . - June 3rd 2011, 09:14 PM

I never seen a therapist before but I do have a close friend who continues to seek counsler from her therapist.She onced confided in me that she was depress and that she didn't know what she wanted to do and I suggested she'd go see a therapist and that she can always talk to me as well and that i would be there for her.I can tell you this that I'm really glad that you decided to go through with it and there is nothing to be ashame about it.My friend told me that mostly your counsler will just be listening to you,it might be nervewrecking at first but i'm sure you'll probably get used to it.Good luck and I wish the best for you. oxox

I hope you have the strength to start all over again.- F.Scott Fitzgerald
  Send a message via MSN to Arie.  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Seeing a Counselor Monday . . - June 4th 2011, 05:24 PM

Thank you.

- Bert McCracken

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Nutty Nat Offline
Average Joe

Re: Seeing a Counselor Monday . . - June 6th 2011, 09:25 AM

Good luck and let us know how it goes i'll be in college soon so i'll reply when i get back x

08/11/92 - 10/11/92

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Helper1215 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Seeing a Counselor Monday . . - June 6th 2011, 03:34 PM

Im glad your seeking help Neon, thats wonderful!

Its normal to be nervous, usually first sessions include a bit of paperwork. Nothing major, just regular name, address, insurance matters. All the formalities. Once that is aside, the session will probably be brief, just an introduction. She might ask questions just to try to get to know your situation or get a feel for how to help you. Its my experience that first sessions go quick. And it slowly picks up from there.

Some pointers, when I went to therapy, oftentimes, the first few sessions were wasted with not knowing what to say. or forgetting things I wanted to talk about. Perhaps it may also be helpful, once you have a few sessions to start jotting down things you would like to talk about. It may help.

Hope this helped you. Hang in there, and I hope it goes well!

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Seeing a Counselor Monday . . - June 6th 2011, 10:31 PM

Helper was right, it was mostly filling out paperwork and we also talked a little bit about why I was there and somethings about me and my mom had to be in there with me since I'm not 18 yet to fill out the paperwork but she said after that one session my mom didn't have to be there. So, everything went ok but my mom was talking a little bit about our family problems and she even sent me out of the room so my mom could talk so I have no idea what she was talking about sadly :/ Hopefully, the next appointment will be next week because my counselor is only available Monday's and Tuesday's.

- Bert McCracken

Closed Thread