TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

I think I have a problem - June 8th 2011, 07:49 PM

For the past few weeks I can't stop looking in the mirror, I keep looking to see how awful I look and how I can fix it. I constantly have foundation on my face to hide any pimples/blemishes/dark circles, I think this is one of the reasons why I have pimples. I even put make-up on when I'm in my bedroom on my own. I feel sick with myself if I haven't got any form of make-up on.

I want plastic surgery. I want a nose job and an operation to move my jaw forward. I'm hopefully going to have the operation on my jaw free on the NHS. The dentist has been considering me to have it done for a while.

I just hate looking at my reflection but keep doing it

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
BethanyAnn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Bethany

Re: I think I have a problem - June 9th 2011, 10:04 PM

Everyone is beautiful, yoga I herd really helps with self image and you have to accept yourself and they have things for acne, but I have never suffered from it... But try to work on YOU and quit worrying about what other people might think

"Have no fear for giving in, Have no fear for giving over
You'd better know that in the end, Its better to say too much, Than never to say what you need to say again" - John Mayer

Send a message via Yahoo to BethanyAnn Send a message via Skype™ to BethanyAnn 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: I think I have a problem - June 10th 2011, 03:12 AM

I'm kind of wondering if this might be a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder. You seem to view this with a certain level of discomfort, and feel that it can be rectified if you have makeup on. That seems somewhat obsessive to me.

Regardless of the actual cause, I think this is something you should take to both a physician and a psychiatrist. The physician can help you if you feel you truly do have blemishes or other things you want to cover up, and the psychiatrist can help you by determining what, if anything, is causing you to feel like this. While I obviously can't guarantee or impose any diagnosis, you might want to bring up OCD and simply ask if it's a possibility.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: I think I have a problem - June 10th 2011, 04:26 PM

Firstly seeking professional help BEFORE doing anything drastic is something you should do.

Secondly acne is good. It's a sign of youth and naturally actually makes people more attracted too you. (Seriously) because of high amounts of oil in your skin it is more likely to retain shape (See: No wrinkles) for much longer than non-oily skin. Acne isn't forever. By the time you are 26 it should be cleared up completely.

Thirdly nose jobs suck. Honestly I don't care what you look like. A nose job only detracts from appearence.

Fourth: By moving your jaw forward I can assume you have a flat rounded face. (Based on your profile pic it was hard to tell...) Google search "Women with rounded faces" and you'll find hundreds of pictures of people who probably shared your insecurities but non of them look hideaus, right?

Five: I'm sure if you googles "Studies showing men dislike make-up" thousands of results would come up. Although I'm in a rush and won't post any links, I would look it up. Most of the time men dislike make-up.

Six: I hate to say this, but aside from mirrors you cannot see yourself. Your opinion shouldn't matter about your appearence. I mean looking how you want to is great, but when you feel like making such drastic measures, I would take down mirrors in your house, and leave your own opinion at the door. I promise you with all my heart people find you attractive, and they might not feel the same way if you changed your appearence through surgery.
Instead of listening to the critical voice in your head lsiten to the real people who I assure you compliment you once in a while.

Good luck.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: I think I have a problem - June 10th 2011, 07:33 PM

Although it seems very similar to OCD, the difference is OCD is given when the obsessions or compulsions are about more than one's appearance. That is, if there are no obsessions or compulsions other than ones about your appearance, it is not OCD. In fact, for the OCD criteria, the 7th criterion (Criterion G) states the label is not given if the preoccupations can be better accounted for by another mental illness and it specifically mentions Body Dysmorphic Disorder as one of the examples.

One of the first possible mental illnesses that pops into mind is Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD). The outline of this syndrome is the person is very distressed and unhappy with how all or a part of their body looks, so they do whatever they feel is necessary to "correct" the perceived flaws. These feelings or flaws do not have a sudden-onset, rather such feelings begin in childhood although they often are less severe at the time to a point where they may not be clinically relevant/noticed.

In order for this label to apply, the "preoccupation" (exact word used by the APA), must not be better accounted for by anorexia, bulimia or some other disorder concerning body size. In effect, it, somewhat like a catch-all label, meaning if no other relevant disorders exist, the person is likely given this label (assuming they fulfill the other criteria).

In terms of prevalence, there is no reliable estimate because it isn't that common, instead in regard to how often it's seen in cosmetic/plastic surgery and dermatology settings: 6-15%.

Like all mental illnesses, psychotherapy can be a treatment, whereas pharmacological treatments often include anti-psychotic medications because they can decrease some of the delusions as well as provide sedation. Different anti-psychotic medications can provide stronger sedation effects than others. In a different thread, I gave a lengthy list of some medications for a person who had bipolar disorder and some of the medications were anti-psychotics that also addressed mood/emotional regulation but not necessarily sedation effects.

http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f14-m...tion-question/

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: I think I have a problem - June 10th 2011, 09:25 PM

Thanks guys <333 I'm on Citalopram at the moment which in a sense should help reduce any anxiety, even this but it doesn't. I was bullied in school due to having an overbite so I think this has messed me up over time :/

I'm seeing a mental health nurse but I've never brought this up as I may find it a bit awkward.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: I think I have a problem - June 12th 2011, 11:06 PM

I have the same sort of problem as you but with my stomach. I spend hours getting dressed because I change over and over trying to find something that makes my stomach look okay. I'm obsessed, constantly looking in the mirror from every angle and taking pictures to try and see what other people see. I will even wear those slimming underwear when I go out most days.... The whole point though is I think it's a major self esteem problem and definitely worth telling the nurse about... I believe that if you can get higher self esteem this problem will be a lot better. People are also usually anxious because they have low self esteem; it's all linked. If you want to talk about it I'm always here

PM // VM

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: I think I have a problem - June 13th 2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudkip View Post
Thanks guys <333 I'm on Citalopram at the moment which in a sense should help reduce any anxiety, even this but it doesn't. I was bullied in school due to having an overbite so I think this has messed me up over time :/

I'm seeing a mental health nurse but I've never brought this up as I may find it a bit awkward.
Most of the time, Citalopram is pretty effective. I've known a few people who had very good experiences with it. But keep both eyes open while you're on it. The side effects are less common compared to other antidepressants and mood stabilizers, but if they are present, they're also stronger.

Just be sure you make a call to your psychiatrist immediately if you notice you're not feeling like yourself in a negative way. Better safe than sorry.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
Closed Thread