TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Omen. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Question Having bi-polar? - June 16th 2011, 10:25 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

In 2009, I was diagnosed with OCD and depression. By the end of that year, I was pretty much OK...I still have a bit of OCD but not to the extend off that it controls my life like it did in 2009.
But now, the depression is taking me over. Because off the OCD, in 2009, the depression was a struggle for me. But then in 2010, I began to notice that sometimes, throughout the day, I would be really happy, where I would be talkactive, doing and saying things I wouldn't normally...I'm being much ecstatic during these periods. However, my moods can come crashing down the next moment to the point where I just don't want to talk to anyone, just curl up in a ball and not do anything.
I'm currently taking anti-depressants but they have no effect, maybe because I'm not taking the right dosage or it's the wrong type.
Does it sound like I have bi-polar?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
chook14 Offline
♪ itchin' on a photograph ♫
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ella

Re: Having bi-polar? - June 16th 2011, 03:28 PM

Hi Rianna,
I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this. I have depression, and while I'm ok and coping now, a few years ago it was a real struggle for me just to get through the day, so I know where you're coming from. It's very easy to confuse depression with bipolar. Mood swings like you're describing do occur with normal depression. A lot of people with depression experience highs and lows, sometimes very spontaneously. You might wake up feeling good and happy, and then suddenly just crash and everything feels impossible. That's to be expected with depression. A lot of people think that people who are depressed don't feel happy ever, which isn't true! For a person with depression good moods are just much harder to come by, are usually short-lived, and are often followed by a really sad/depressed period. For someone with bipolar disorder, these mood swings are extreme and quite severe. One of my best friends has bipolar and when she's in a 'happy' mood, she becomes almost manic - she needs calming down, starts shaking sometimes, as she gets so worked up and even though she's feeling good she just seems to spiral out of control. She's told me that when she's suffering from mood swings she doesn't feel like herself at all, like she has no sense of who she is. The thing with bipolar, is that often you'll feel fine for a week or so and then suddenly go through a period of mood swings while normal depression is generally more constant. This is my understanding of it, but I'm no professional. The best thing for you to do would be to share your concerns with your doctor or counsellor and see if they can offer some advice. There are lots of different anti-depressants out there, it may take some time to find the one that works best for you, and your doctor can help you with this! Good luck, I hope you feel much better soon <3

"He who does not weep, does not see" - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables.

<3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Liz94 Offline
Here I go again
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Elizabeth

Re: Having bi-polar? - June 16th 2011, 05:01 PM

I think for it to be bipolar the extatic highs have to last for a prolonged period of time and same for the exstreme lows, Like the highs have to be more than a day or two and same with the mega lows.
Least that is what I have been told.
As Chook14 said modd swings throughout the day are common in depression.

Maybe go to a doctor or mental health proffessional just to check though.

Hope this helped

"Casting all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

"For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." 2 Timothy 1:7

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:2

PM/VM me anytime
LIZ
  Send a message via MSN to Liz94  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Emily

Re: Having bi-polar? - June 16th 2011, 07:02 PM

Yes you do have bipolar but you are not alone I have it to.
  Send a message via Skype™ to ReasonsForRecovery 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Having bi-polar? - June 16th 2011, 07:15 PM

One very big issue is the fact you are on anti-depressants as they can increase manic-like symptoms, so there is no way to know if these "highs" are mania or hypomania, unless you get off your medications and after any withdrawal effects have passed. I'm not saying you should do this on your own, instead consult your psychiatrist. What medications are you taking (i.e. the exact name) and what dosages? Also, do you have any general medical conditions in the past and are you feeling ill currently? I don't want to be too intrusive but certain general medication conditions can alter how medications are experienced. Lastly, has there been a change in diet and do you eat/drink anything with grapefruit? I ask this question because grapefruit (as well as some other foods) are known to affect the medications. As a little historical humour, grapefruit used to be given in hospitals when patients had to swallow pills and many doctors kept thinking the patient was getting worse or odd symptoms meant their diagnosis was wrong, until researchers came along and showed it was the grapefruit.

If they last less than these numbers (see below), there is no bi-polar of any type. The question becomes what are these "highs"? As mentioned, the medications are a viable suspect. There's a rule-of-thumb of 2-3 weeks upon starting anti-depressants, as it takes about that time to feel the changes. Since you've been taking them somewhere in 2010, the immediate introduction to the anti-depressants cannot be the cause, although their current usage may be a cause.

The question becomes what are these "highs"? As mentioned, the medications are a viable suspect. There's a rule-of-thumb of 2-3 weeks upon starting anti-depressants, as it takes about that time to feel the changes. Since you've been taking them somewhere in 2010, the immediate introduction to the anti-depressants cannot be the cause, although their current usage may be a cause.

One thing your doctor can do is order a blood test to measure your levels of serotonin and norepinephrine, as it indicates whether the dosage may need to changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebunny96
In order for it to be bipolar, one of the many criteria address the length of the manic or hypomanic episodes. Manic episodes must last minimum of 7 days and likely need hospitalization. Hypomanic episodes last minimum of 4 days and are less likely to need hospitalization. The fact they change so fast is unlikely to be rapid-cycling or ultra rapid-cycling.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jessica

Re: Having bi-polar? - June 16th 2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebunny96 View Post
You can not tell someone what they do or do not have. Only a professional can tell you. Do not self-diagnose either for that can be very dangerous.

To me, as said previously, it sounds like normal depression. It sounds like you are in the recovering stages so the ups and downs can be confused with bi-polar. Sometimes with anti-depressants, they can make the manic episodes worse. What makes a manic episode a manic episode, is not just feeling good and being talkative. It sounds like your just feeling better and it's something your really not used to because of your depression. However, I am not a doctor and the best way to know for sure is to see one. If you came of your medicine it would be better to see what your mood swings are like to get a better picture. Periods of manic episodes also last for a certain period of time. In most cases it can be a week or a few months unless you have rapid cycling which is rare.

I hope you get this sorted out soon.

Self-harm free since 10.1.2013
"You have not failed if you learned something from it."
"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"
"Weak heart, Dying soul, Falling apart, Make me whole, These broken blues, Peirce your being, Hide the truth, You won't be seeing."
"Deeper, Deeper, Deeper inside me I live a life that seems to be a lost reality."
"Big Brother is watching."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Having bi-polar? - June 18th 2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebunny96 View Post
Doubt it, considering as has been said by multiple people... Not only are the durations for the highs off, but the overall description of the moods that were given sounds like just, typical Depression.

Despite popular belief, people with Depression CAN have moments where they feel happy. Bipolar Disorder is more than just "I'm Happy, I'm Sad, I must have Bipolar". Were you legitimately diagnosed?

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

Closed Thread