TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Is she right? - June 19th 2011, 11:33 PM

Hey everyone, I hope you're all okay. Let me just start by explaining what brought me onto this. I work in a bar some weekends in a church function hall. I was working on Friday night with my mum and two others. Basically it was really quiet and I noticed that the Malibu (coconut alcohol thing) was a little to one side. It's one of those bottles that's upside down so I got it down, adjusted it and was putting it back up when my hand slipped and I spilled it everywhere. I can still smell the coconut. Anyway, my mum said maybe it'd teach me not to be so OCDish. People have said that to me a lot but I always thought they were joking, she seemed serious.
I do have odd ways of doing things. Everything has to be even. Even numbers. Except 6, 12, 18 and 24. Symmetrical. If something touches one hand I have to make it touch the other. Step on a stone with one foot and I have to step on a stone with the other, you get the idea. When I'm crossing at traffic lights I have to push the button twice with each hand to keep it even. Lots of little rituals that I just do without even noticing. I eat in 2s which drives mum mental since I won't finish leftovers if it will add up to an odd number.
Do you think my mum was serious with the OCD thing or is she just saying that to stop me being so weird? I'm not sure if it's worth mentioning to the doctor or not.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BethanyAnn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Bethany

Re: Is she right? - June 20th 2011, 12:39 AM

It seems as if you are OCD I mean are there any daily rituals you HAVE to do every day or is it just when these things pop up... Like some people they have to get up and do a certain routine that is just out of this world....But yes I think you need to go talk to a doctor and he can refer you to someone.. Some of the things you do are mild but it can progress.. I am kinda the same way but it doesn't interfere with my everyday life I don't HAVE to do it but Yes if one stone touches one foot it has to touch the other I am the same way about that and I even painted my room symmetrical and everything in my room is slightly at an angle but it all has to fit... But it doesn't hurt or harm anything... But you seem to be alil on the extreme side I would go to my doctor and get refereed before it gets worse

"Have no fear for giving in, Have no fear for giving over
You'd better know that in the end, Its better to say too much, Than never to say what you need to say again" - John Mayer

Send a message via Yahoo to BethanyAnn Send a message via Skype™ to BethanyAnn 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Is she right? - June 20th 2011, 11:15 PM

The issue is whether it may be OCD or may be closer to tics. It all depends on a few things, questions rather, that you need to answer and these questions are things any psychiatrist will try to get at. I'm not going to give any examples for each question as that may skew your answers.

First, when you do these actions, do you acknowledge they are irrational? Second, when you do these actions, do you feel as though something is insisting you do this? Third, do you have any symptoms of psychosis, such as delusions, auditory hallucinations and disorganized thinking/speech? Fourth, if you do not do these actions, do you believe there is a consequence, and is that consequence related to the action at hand?

While you may have OCD, it's important to remember most people don't know what OCD truly is. In other words, they can give a list of symptoms but usually don't know the diagnostic criteria. There are more television shows about OCD (however educational/uneducational they may be), so people may describe you as OCD because they don't know any better. One important diagnostic criteria to almost every single mental illness is whether the symptoms cause disruption in your social, educational and job life. If not, then it's highly questionable whether you'll be diagnosed, even if the symptoms are very mild.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread