TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lovechild777 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Mindie

Here we go again... - June 29th 2011, 12:59 AM

I'm sick of feeling like there is something wrong with me. My entire life I have felt like there is something wrong with me, from when I was 13-16 I was in a deep depression. I cut myself everyday and just wanted to die. I came out of that and experienced an amazing view on life for about 3-4 months, until my boyfriend went to jail, months later I started drinking and smoking weed. This lasted a long time, until I ended up in hospital for an overdose. This was my second bout of depression. Now, I can feel it starting again. I'm so confused. I've had thoughts about drinking meths, crashing my car purposly and more and more I have urges to cut myself. I also go through phases where I feel I can do anything, or when my life could not be better. I went to a doctor about a year ago, opened up to her and told her I thought I was depressed. She told me to get some exercise and write down my feelings. I feel like everyone in my life, counsellors, psychologists and doctors have failed me. Why would I be feeling this way if there was really nothing wrong with me? With this mindset, who can I talk to for help? I want this feeling to go away, before I decide I don't care and start hurting myself again.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Here we go again... - July 3rd 2011, 08:57 PM

Hello, Mindie!

I'm sorry to hear that various professionals have not taken your worries seriously. Unfortunately, there are many people with mental disorders who are not given the treatment they need, and there are many people who are erroneously given diagnoses of depression, anxiety, etc. After a single appointment, it can be difficult to determine if someone is suffering from a temporary bout of depression due to stressful life events, or if someone is suffering from chronic depression due to chemical imbalances and life circumstances combined. It sounds like you're definitely experiencing the latter, and while I can't offer you a diagnosis, it sounds like you could even be suffering from bipolar disorder (which would explain why you have phases where you feel you can do anything).

My advice is to find a psychologist (not a therapist, as they can't diagnose you) who specializes in mood disorders (depression, bipolar disorder, etc.). Get a referral from your regular doctor if you can. If not, ask your family members or friends, look through the telephone book, or use internet search engines to look up psychologists in your area. I'll link you to an article I wrote about a year ago, which offers some tips on how to find the right professional for you: http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f80-m...tric-services/

The psychologist shouldn't just ask you questions about your current state of mind. S/he should ask you questions about your past state of mind, your family history, your medical history, etc. Once they have a better idea as to what you've experienced and are currently experiencing, they should be able to offer you a diagnosis of some sort. Depending on what the diagnosis is, you may just need therapy, or you may just need medication, or you may need both. If you've spent a few sessions with the psychologist, and you aren't getting the help you need, don't hesitate to contact another psychologist! As I said previously, there are many people who seek psychological help (but don't really need it), and this can cause psychological professionals to be more cautious in giving diagnoses. You'll have to take charge of your own recovery at first, ensuring that you find a professional who has your best interests at heart and will truly work with you.

I wish you all the best. <3 Take care!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Misslostintears Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Daisy

Re: Here we go again... - July 5th 2011, 04:40 AM

Don't hurt yourself. People may not understand and you maybe confused but don't hurt yourself. You got to love yourself. Show confidence in what you do. Instead of thinking about death or depression do what you like to do the most like paint or write. Try to relax yourself. Everything happens for a reason. You got to learn from the mistakes and forget the past. Everyone feels like you do once or more in there life. I do and I'm only 14.

Closed Thread