TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Wtf- Offline
The Happy Nihilist
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Taylor

Unstoppable? - July 8th 2011, 09:22 AM

I totally think I spelled the title wrong.

Anyway.

I'm not even sure if this is the right area to post this in - but I took a wild guess. Whatever.

I have this problem with.. self-control. I mean. I know I should do some things... Like, I'll mentally chastise myself for doing them while doing them - but I'll do them anyway.

For instance:

Sleeping - I can't do it until I literally pass out from exhaustion. I'll try to put myself to bed - really! I do! But it never ends up happening. It's totally not insomnia either, because if someone (other than myself), forces me to go to sleep - I do. But I can't send myself to sleep. I'm seventeen years old. Not six. How messed up is that?

Food - I'll tell myself no, but I find myself grazing all day. I mean, I know what I'm doing is wrong. I know how I should be eating. But I can't stop myself. AND IT IS SO FREAKIN' FRUSTRATING.

It's like my brain goes on auto-pilot or something. I'm in there in my head going "GO TO BED, STOP EATING, BRUSH YOUR HAIR, HAVE A SHOWER, etc." and my body just refuses to cooperate.

I don't even know what you can call this. I just know I seriously need to stop it. It's getting out of hand.
  Send a message via MSN to Wtf-  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Terry Offline
Canadian Bacon
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Terry

Re: Unstoppable? - July 8th 2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtf- View Post
I totally think I spelled the title wrong.

Anyway.

I'm not even sure if this is the right area to post this in - but I took a wild guess. Whatever.

I have this problem with.. self-control. I mean. I know I should do some things... Like, I'll mentally chastise myself for doing them while doing them - but I'll do them anyway.

For instance:

Sleeping - I can't do it until I literally pass out from exhaustion. I'll try to put myself to bed - really! I do! But it never ends up happening. It's totally not insomnia either, because if someone (other than myself), forces me to go to sleep - I do. But I can't send myself to sleep. I'm seventeen years old. Not six. How messed up is that?

Food - I'll tell myself no, but I find myself grazing all day. I mean, I know what I'm doing is wrong. I know how I should be eating. But I can't stop myself. AND IT IS SO FREAKIN' FRUSTRATING.

It's like my brain goes on auto-pilot or something. I'm in there in my head going "GO TO BED, STOP EATING, BRUSH YOUR HAIR, HAVE A SHOWER, etc." and my body just refuses to cooperate.

I don't even know what you can call this. I just know I seriously need to stop it. It's getting out of hand.
I'm the same way with sleep, and as far as eating I either eat really unhealthy or don't eat at all, so if anything, you've got some one in the same boat

But yeah I don't know, try sleeping pills for the sleep bit?

Self pity will not rescue you.
Sometimes we have to save our own lives,
not because no one else cares, but because no one else can.

Life for you has been less than kind
So take a number, stand in line
We've all been sorry, we've all been hurt
But how we survive is what makes us who we are.

Dreamed up the maps, give me the charcoal and the paper
We invent paths they cannot see, and they're too scared to walk

Only after disaster can we be resurrected. It's only after you've lost everything that you are free to do anything.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Keep Walking On
Average Joe

Name: Agent Dana Scully
Location: Asgard, but my heart belongs to my home country of Iraw!

Re: Unstoppable? - July 10th 2011, 01:11 PM

Sleeping pills are a VERY bad idea. And they can get very addicting as well especially at your age. You can get so used to taking them after a while that your body won't be able to sleep properly unless you take a pill. They work for some people but not always.

Try some sort of relaxation exercises?

!~Mariposa~!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Terry Offline
Canadian Bacon
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Terry

Re: Unstoppable? - July 10th 2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperanza Mariposa View Post
Sleeping pills are a VERY bad idea. And they can get very addicting as well especially at your age. You can get so used to taking them after a while that your body won't be able to sleep properly unless you take a pill. They work for some people but not always.

Try some sort of relaxation exercises?
My bad I refer to natural relaxants as sleeping pills all the time , I take herbal nerve pills and they help me sleep, are those a bad idea as well or?

Self pity will not rescue you.
Sometimes we have to save our own lives,
not because no one else cares, but because no one else can.

Life for you has been less than kind
So take a number, stand in line
We've all been sorry, we've all been hurt
But how we survive is what makes us who we are.

Dreamed up the maps, give me the charcoal and the paper
We invent paths they cannot see, and they're too scared to walk

Only after disaster can we be resurrected. It's only after you've lost everything that you are free to do anything.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Unstoppable? - July 13th 2011, 05:07 PM

What are you doing when you should be going to sleep? I mean, are you just sitting in a chair, thinking, "I'll go to sleep... in five minutes"? Or are you on the computer, watching TV, reading a book, or doing some other activity that is allowing you to procrastinate on going to sleep? I'm guessing it's the latter, so my advice is to remove any distracting items from your bedroom (or wherever you normally sleep). You can set yourself up for success by eliminating the distractions, so that when you finally go into your bedroom, you'll have nothing to do but crawl into bed and fall asleep... but ultimately, you ARE in control of your actions. You CAN choose whether or not to go to sleep, or stay up and keep doing things. It may FEEL like you aren't in control... but believe me, you are. You just need to resist the temptation to choose the "wrong" option.

As for the grazing, that may also depend on your lifestyle. When I'm running errands and thinking about all the things I need to get done by the end of the day, I literally don't have time to open up a bag of potato chips and start eating. I have to set aside time to eat proper meals. If I'm sitting around the house all day, though, it's easier to fill up the time by eating. Maybe changing your lifestyle would help. It could also be that food is simply easy to get ahold of in your house. If that's the case, why not get rid of all the "junk" food, and replace it with healthier snacks? That way, if you continue to graze, at least you're eating better. If "tasty" foods aren't readily available, you may also feel less tempted to go into the kitchen and find food. Grazing can be considered an eating disorder under certain circumstances... but before you jump to that conclusion and seek professional help, I'd try the two suggestions I mentioned above.

Closed Thread