TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: you can call Kaylie

what problem do I have mentally? - July 11th 2011, 12:44 AM

I am new here and 18 and have been told many times I know I think differently from other people. I live wth my mom. She tries to take over my life. I make as much of a mess for her as possible. For one trying to tell me what to do. And 2 for trying to make me do chores. I do things on my own times. I don't give a darn what she wants. I live with her because it's best if both worlds. Only I don't bring guys home or drink while I'm or play loud music. I listen to some of herrules. And she better take it or leave it. I make loud scenes if she tries to nag or get in my way. I have the neighborhood thinking she was an abusive mom. And to me that's what she gets for being a biatch. All I want is to live my life and no one to get in the way of that. I don't concern myself with others it's not my life to concern myself over. When I was younger I never cared if my mom or other family died or not as long as I had someone taking care of me. My mom went to jail for a few days I didn't care I was joking and laughing. When my grandma cut ties with me I didn't miss her after 10 years of memories I didn't care.

when I was a kid boredum bothered me and I sought out destructive behavior some out of unitentional curiosity others out of mischeivousness. I still do that now I'd rather fight and argue than be bored and lonely. I have no guilt and never felt panick. I rarely feel real emotions I only imitate. I have been to therapists but no medication prescribed. What do you think?

with guys I tend to want love from them but can not give it to them in return. I'm like incapable how I think icaant love them. Also I lovee being the one in control. I also feel when it doesn't work I don't care too much I just think I could find a guy just as good. I don't get hung up on people. I don't get why dressing people should hide their body. I care a lot about my body and have always been considered pretty good looking. I rather wear clothes to essentuate my body like I do with make up. I don't feel emotional ties to sex as many people do. I feel like it's just something you do that feels good what is the shame if you do it with different people. The word whore or slut aren't insults to me. It sounds quite simple.

there is only one person I really have ever had warm feelings for and that's my son/daughter Nick. I'm 4 weeks and 4 days pregnant. In all honesty I feel the same as I did last pregnancy. When I was 16 I had an abortion. I just didn't want to ruin my body. If I don't gain too much weight I won't care. I like at least that it's mine and will have my genes. I'm excited to have that happen. I want lots of children but I love them more than myself because they will have a part of me in them.

I'm not finished yet still have to talk about relationships and pregnancy bbl. What do you think like any personality disorder?

Last edited by cuteprickleypink1; July 11th 2011 at 06:58 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
bailatyvm Offline
bada bing bada boom.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Faith

Re: what problem do I have mentally? - July 11th 2011, 03:12 AM

well; we're not professionals here and can't really diagnose you over the internet..if you're concerned, go see a psychologist. They might be able to help you with some of these things. good luck

--
searching for myself...
and hugs. mostly hugs.
--

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: what problem do I have mentally? - July 11th 2011, 04:13 AM

I really was just curiouson your opinion?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Elliotte

Re: what problem do I have mentally? - July 11th 2011, 05:31 PM

Being honest, it sounds like a combination of adolescence and what you've hinted about what's gone on in the past, such as your mother going away to jail even if only for a few days.

Personality disorders are so entirely complicated and these "symptoms" as you describe them could be a product of so much else. If you're concerned, I would consider seeing a counsellor, therapist, or psychologist. Although they can't "diagnose"-diagnose you and prescribe medication for it, they will give you a referral to a psychiatrist if they feel that it's necessary, and you can sign a release form so that they can speak with one another about a treatment plan, so to speak.

But from what information you've given here, like I said, it sounds more like a product of your background on top of the adolescence that everyone goes through. It does not scream personality disorder to me. So I would consider seeing someone who could help you get to the root of these problems and see if any further treatment, such as medication, is necessary.

If you feel you'd like additional support or to speak further with me, you can contact me through my personal Tumblr, Love Like An Hourglass (click), or PM me through TH.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: what problem do I have mentally? - July 11th 2011, 06:58 PM

she went to jail for driving a suspended license she got it suspennded because she got in a car accident at 22 without insurance. She had to pay 1600 or stop driving she couldn't do either so got pulled over and arrested. It wasn't serious. It's just that it took days for family to put bail together.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Re: what problem do I have mentally? - July 11th 2011, 08:29 PM

Okay, so it wasn't too serious, but it's still disruptive. I dunno, all it seems from what you wrote here is, like I said, this is a combination of adolescence and likely background. Hell, I've seen people go through this and have it be pure adolescence. But I would still recommend seeing someone - not a doctor, but someone who's been trained to deal with psychological or psychiatric needs and disorders (I always recommend seeing a therapist/psychologist first) - and go from there.

Doesn't sound like a personality disorder to me at all, least none that I've heard of or studied.

If you feel you'd like additional support or to speak further with me, you can contact me through my personal Tumblr, Love Like An Hourglass (click), or PM me through TH.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: what problem do I have mentally? - July 11th 2011, 08:39 PM

One of the factors that hasn't been mentioned here, doctors don't diagnose personality disorders in anyone under 18. Reason? Because the personality is still in development, so the idea of diagnosing something that is still in formation is controversial to many doctors.

Honestly, you could have something wrong, but you could just be a teenager. As Elliotte said, seeing a professional would be best. If they suspect anything further than typical teenager behaviour, they'd know the best course of action to take, as well as being able to get to know you better, to figure out more about your personality and whether a disorder makes sense or not.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: what problem do I have mentally? - July 11th 2011, 09:50 PM

In my amateur non-professional opinion, I don't think it's a personality disorder at all. Perhaps with additional information about some childhood background and early teenage years, my opinion could change but as of now, it just sounds like negative adolescence attitude. Some of what you mentioned are symptoms of some personality disorders but they're too vague and the information you provided doesn't fit.

I'm actually curious, why do you suspect it's a personalty disorder?

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: what problem do I have mentally? - July 22nd 2011, 11:45 PM

I'm 18 so I'm not underge. And even my psychiatrist knew I had something wrong. Idk.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Re: what problem do I have mentally? - July 23rd 2011, 02:10 AM

If you've seen a psychiatrist and they haven't diagnosed you with anything, then I'd either trust that opinion or get a second opinion. I should hope that a psychiatrist isn't so incompetent that they "know something's wrong" but aren't able to figure out what, especially seeing as their primary job is to diagnose and medicate.

That said, 18 isn't too young for adolescence. Though it's commonly used to describe the teenage years, in psychology, at least at this point in time, adolescence isn't defined by any given age. What you're going through sounds like you being a teenager still to me, and yes, you're still young/a teenager at 18, even if you're no longer a minor/underage.

Closed Thread