TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
sweet_angel1993 Offline
Not a n00b

Low Self Confidence? - July 12th 2011, 03:19 PM

So I've had a self confidence problem pretty much my whole life. Its because of my dad raping me as a kid. I'm always focusing on the negative things about myself. Everytime I look at myself in a mirror I tell myself all the bad things about myself. When someone compliments me I make a negative comment. Even my teachers see that my confidence level is extremely low.

Last night I was watching a video from my 16th birthday and it kinda triggered my self confidence problem. Then I could wear size [edit] in jeans now I wear a [edit] . I hate seeing any fat on me but since I started taking my migraine pills almost a year ago I've gained weight. One of the side effects is increase in appetite so most of the day I'm eating. It doesn't help that my mom is always making fat jokes or saying "watch out or you'll get fat" everytime she sees me eating. Everyone on my dad's side is overweight and I promised myself I would never get like that. I just made a pair of shorts fit. I wore them a week ago and didn't have a problem getting them on.

How do I get my self confidence back?

Last edited by *Jen*; July 12th 2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Please don't post clothes sizes

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Low Self Confidence? - July 12th 2011, 08:16 PM

hey there, we're in the same boat. i was abused/raped when i was a kid and i always think negative thoughts about myself and my appearance.
in order to get your self confidence boosted, i would hang around positive people who make you feel good about yourself.. it sounds like your mom is making jokes about your weight, so i wouldn't listen to those comments. ignore them. i know it's hard, but it is possible. i do it.

btw, if the migraine pills are making you gain weight, why don't you try to switch medications? or make healthy decisions in your lifestyle.
these are just friendly suggestions cuz i'm sure you don't have anything wrong with you!

pm me if you ever wanna talk... good luck x

(#3 (permalink)) Old
sweet_angel1993 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Low Self Confidence? - July 13th 2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe.in.hope View Post
hey there, we're in the same boat. i was abused/raped when i was a kid and i always think negative thoughts about myself and my appearance.
in order to get your self confidence boosted, i would hang around positive people who make you feel good about yourself.. it sounds like your mom is making jokes about your weight, so i wouldn't listen to those comments. ignore them. i know it's hard, but it is possible. i do it.

btw, if the migraine pills are making you gain weight, why don't you try to switch medications? or make healthy decisions in your lifestyle.
these are just friendly suggestions cuz i'm sure you don't have anything wrong with you!

pm me if you ever wanna talk... good luck x

The only migraine pills I haven't taken yet I have to be 18 to take. I eat as healthy as possible.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Low Self Confidence? - July 13th 2011, 10:50 PM

well it's good that you make attempts. that should make you feel good about yourself! (:

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kristen♡ Offline
A puzzle in the making
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kristen

Re: Low Self Confidence? - July 13th 2011, 11:05 PM

Hi there! I'm sure most, if not all of us, have suffered from low self esteem at some point in our lives. Maybe not for the same reasons, but the fact of the matter is that every person- no matter how they look, how they speak, anything!- should feel good about themselves and be able to look in the mirror and say, hey, you know, I'm beautiful.

Your weight isn't necessarily as important as how you feel about yourself and how others feel about you. See the good in yourself. And though that may be hard when you're so set on your weight, you can do it if you try hard enough.

I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons.
And maybe we’ll never know most of them.
But even if we don’t have the power to choose where we come from,
we can still choose where we go from there.
We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.

PM|VM|EMAIL
Colyn Riley ♥

Closed Thread