TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Matty-UK Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Matt

Anybody had CBT? - July 27th 2011, 01:12 AM

Whats up everyone?

I'm currently signed off work with depression, I've been talking with my GP and we've come to agree I have social anxiety, he's putting me on a therapy called 'cognitive behavioural therapy' (CBT)

Before I embark on this, just wondering if any users here have had this before and whether it helped or not, and what I can expect from this!

Thanks for any responses...
  Send a message via AIM to Matty-UK Send a message via MSN to Matty-UK  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Anybody had CBT? - July 27th 2011, 11:52 AM

I have. It is helpful. It is also proven effective and widely used.

What you can expect is mostly just talking about what you do, are feeling, and ways to work on changing things that are problematic. The responsibility is on you to implement the changes, but then therapy would be pointless if you aren't willing to work on yourself at all.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Matty-UK Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Anybody had CBT? - July 27th 2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream View Post
I have. It is helpful. It is also proven effective and widely used.

What you can expect is mostly just talking about what you do, are feeling, and ways to work on changing things that are problematic. The responsibility is on you to implement the changes, but then therapy would be pointless if you aren't willing to work on yourself at all.
Thanks for getting back to me, appreciated.

From what i've managed to read up on it, it does seem to be an effective method. My stumbling block is that I find it very difficult to talk about my feelings and open up to people which would render the therapy useless but I do want to help myself and push myself on, its very much a catch 22 .
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: Anybody had CBT? - July 27th 2011, 04:47 PM

I have done a bit of CBT and it is about looking at how your feelings and thoughts effect the things you do. It has been shown to be really effective for some people so hopefully it will work out for you. Also it isn't all about talking about your feelings you will most likely have to keep diary sheets to record your feelings so you can identify patterns of behaviour. Hope it goes well for you!

Believe
You can do anything you want to
:-)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Child and Youth Care Worker
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Anybody had CBT? - July 27th 2011, 09:21 PM

Hey.

So I"m in CBT right now, and it's the most helpful thing I have ever done with my life.
Basically there are 3 elements. Thoughts, behaviours, and feelings. You are having distorted thoughts, which gives you anxiety. Your therapist will explain that to you. When you do CBT, you change the way you think, which changes the way you feel, which changes the way you act. Often, people have trouble even identifying the difference between a thought and a feeling.

CBT is HARD. It's work. I had therapy yesterday and it was exhausting. When you are in CBT, you have to recognize the fault that you have with your thoughts and you have to process it and change the way you think. It can be hard to be HONEST with yourself and with your therapist, but honesty is key. You need to be honest or else it's not going to work the way it should.

Another component to CBT is called "exposure therapy". Exposures are when your therapist puts you in a situation where you would be anxious, and helps you work through it. For example, my therapist has a client who is afraid of needles, so she took him to the doctors office of the health centre she works in, sat him down, and gave him a syringe without the tip on it, and had him sit there holding it. It was hard for him, but now he carries it around and is comfortable with the needle. Eventually she may have him sit next to a needle with the sharp tip on it, or she may fill it with saline or water and show him how it works and what it looks like, and have him sit and work through his fears. People who are afraid of elevators? They work up to riding an elevator on their own. It's scary at first sometimes but it is EXTREMELY effective to getting over your fears, because it is a safe environment, you are with a trusted therapist, and you arent in any danger.

If you have other questions or anything, PM me. I know LOTS about CBT since that is the therapy that I do.

Jenn

(#6 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: Anybody had CBT? - July 27th 2011, 09:24 PM

I have no idea if I've tried CBT or not. I might have? From the psych classes I've taken though, it can be VERY effective for a lot of different mental illnesses/ overall well being. It might be hard to open up, but maybe you can try? Practice? Perhaps even write things down during the week you might want to bring up. Or even write a message during the session instead of opening up verbally? Sometimes it takes a risk to get a reward Good luck!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Anybody had CBT? - July 28th 2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty-UK View Post
Thanks for getting back to me, appreciated.

From what i've managed to read up on it, it does seem to be an effective method. My stumbling block is that I find it very difficult to talk about my feelings and open up to people which would render the therapy useless but I do want to help myself and push myself on, its very much a catch 22 .
I have this problem to, at least in person- and my therapist refused to read anything I had written.

You only have to open up to the one person, and it is confidential. You also don't have to open up all the way if you don't want to. Start out with things you are comfortable with and then move to things that are more difficult.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Matty-UK Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Anybody had CBT? - July 28th 2011, 10:56 PM

Wow briliant responses everyone, would love to quote all of you but i'd be here a while! - So big thanks to everyone! comforting to read a couple of you have experienced CBT first hand and found it good, will definetly try to keep in contact with you all to discuss this in more depth.

Feeling a bit more confident pushing through with this reading these experiences and further confirmation it can effective, as before I was very skeptical.

Like I said before the idea of opening up to a 'stranger' is a terrifying prospect due to such my social anxiety but i'll take it slowly like said, and go from from there.

Once again huge thanks for all the responses, it has helped a great deal!
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Child and Youth Care Worker
Senior TeenHelper

July 29th 2011, 02:50 AM

Something to remember is that therapy does not start right off the bat perfect. I've been in therapy with my new therapist since the end of April, and the past...month...has been our best sessions. It takes a while sometimes to open up, and seriously, for the first 3 sessions I had, I just nodded and shook my head. Said a few words but that was it. Journalling is very encouraged during CBT, and so I suggest if you have a hard time talking about your feelings, write it down. Keep a "daily mood log" and write about your day and how you felt and stuff. Then share those things with your therapist - verbally. Don't make your therapist read it to him/herself, but read it outloud. That will help you verbalize what you are feeling, but it will already have been written down....no coming up with things on the spot.

Also, remember to be honest with your therapist. If you are afraid of being there, if you have questions, if you are nervous, if you are having a hard time opening up, SAY SOMETHING. that is the only way that your therapist can HELP YOU overcome those things. That is their job. They are there to help you. If you tell them your needs, they can help you best. They can't read your mind.

Last edited by PSY; July 30th 2011 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Matty-UK Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Anybody had CBT? - July 29th 2011, 02:03 PM

Thanks Jennifer some great advice there!

Not expecting to go in there and instantly make progress I'm sure it'll take a while to start making any leaps forward, the idea of keeping a 'log' of everything is a good one, which I think would benefit me all things considered, so thanks. As you point out honestly will be key as they're not mind readers.

Out of pure interest CBT covers a range of things, mine will obviously be my anxiety, what is it that you are having CBT for? ..feel free to not say if you're not comfortable in doing so.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Anybody had CBT? - July 30th 2011, 11:31 PM

Great responses! =D I don't have much more to add. Just wanted to echo that CBT is used for many mental illnesses (I worked in a lab that used a variation of it to help patients with schizophrenia), and it has proven quite effective compared to psychoanalysis. It's also less time-consuming (we're talking months vs. years), and you'll learn skills that can be utilized outside of therapy. =)

Closed Thread