TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
NyanNyan Offline
Not a n00b

Name: NyanNyan

Do I have multiple personality disorder? - August 8th 2011, 12:20 PM

I'm weird. I'm crazy. I'm ready to accept it. But every year, my personality changes. Around certain people my personality changes. I have to be a certain person around certain ones of my friends. Cartain family members. I can't control what I say, either.I WAS good at controlling what I say. That was last year. But ever since four months ago, I have to say what the thing inside of me wants, not me. I try to warn people, but they get hurt anyways. Like how I called my best friend fat accidentally. How I tell my little brother I hate him when I don't. My head just goes blank for what to say, so someone who's not me decides for me. But they're inside of me.

^-----^
(= . =)
Any anime lovers feel free to PM me!
"What's wrong with you?"
"Want me to make a list? *smiles*"
"Ummmm...no thanks I think I know"

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Troubled_Heart Offline
Used to be Ianto Jones
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Melissa
Location: The room where it's red and black and evil people walk around pointing and laughing at you

Re: Do I have multiple personality disorder? - August 8th 2011, 12:46 PM

There are many symptoms for multiple personality disorder:

-lapses in memory (dissociation), particularly of significant life events, like birthdays, weddings, or birth of a child
-experiencing blackouts in time, resulting in finding oneself in places but not recalling how one traveled there
-being frequently accused of lying when they do not believe they are lying (for example, being told of things they did but do not recall)
-finding items in one's possession but not recalling how those things were acquired
-encountering people with whom one is unfamiliar but who seem to know them sometimes as someone else
-being called names that are completely unlike their own name or nickname
-finding items they have clearly written but are in handwriting other than their own
-hearing voices inside their head that are not their own
-not recognizing themselves in the mirror
-feeling unreal
-feeling like they are watching themselves move through life rather than living their own life
-feeling like more than one person

I found these on this website: http://www.medicinenet.com/dissociat...rder/page2.htm
Which has lots of information on MPD for you to look at.

Also, you are very very young and your personality is still developing and as many people's childhood has caused MPD it is unlikely a child would have it.

Obviously I am not a doctor, but if this is something that is causing you problems, I would advice telling a responsible adult who you trust and going to see a doctor.

When life gives you one thousand reasons to cry, show life one million reasons to SMILE!

Send a message via MSN to Troubled_Heart Send a message via Yahoo to Troubled_Heart  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Do I have multiple personality disorder? - August 8th 2011, 02:00 PM

First, make sure you do NOT self diagnose. The best thing you could do would be to get professionally diagnosed, then you'll know for sure if it's just normal teen changes or something more.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Do I have multiple personality disorder? - August 8th 2011, 07:00 PM

Honestly, although I think it's just teenager changes (you're 12, you're going to be changing, maybe A LOT, in the next 5 or 6 years), there is a possibility of it being something more.

I suggest, if you're concerned, talk to a counselor, or a therapist. These professionals deal with everyday people, but can also pick up some signs of something wrong, due to some exposure to the mental health world. Talking to someone could prove beneficial.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Robin

Re: Do I have multiple personality disorder? - August 9th 2011, 01:43 AM

Based on everything I have read over the years, no, you do not have dissociative identity disorder (or multiple personality disorder, as some people still call it). We all wear "masks" around other people, and we all "filter" what we say and do around other people. Occasionally, you WILL say hurtful things to people that you don't mean. We all do it, but it doesn't mean there's something/someone inside of us that makes us do it. We just do it, because we don't carefully plan out every single thing we say or do. If we did, we'd never get anything done. Your brain goes on autopilot, and unfortunately, that can land you into trouble sometimes. =P

If you want to express yourself without hurting those around you, try writing in a journal. If that doesn't work, you could try talking to your school counselor about what's bothering you. At the end of the day, however, I'm pretty darned sure that you do NOT have something as severe as DID. Of course, you could see a psychological professional about your inability to censor yourself, but they'll probably tell you it's "normal" for someone your age, and that you'll become better at controlling yourself as you grow older.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Do I have multiple personality disorder? - August 9th 2011, 05:04 PM

Some people deny multiples really exsists.

Secondly, what you are doing is being a fake person. In front of my grandparents I am no longer myself, I am a very smart quiet child completely satisfied with life. It's a mask that keeps the real person safe, because my grandparents are all over 80, they wouldn't really understand who I am, because computers, video games and even book weren't around or distributed when they were my age. So my interests don't make sense to them.

Secondly, when angry we all say things we don't mean. Last year I called my then best friend a "Dog faced son of a bitch" during an arguement. We laughed later. That is just poor self control which can be worked on. meaning I no longer say things I do not mean.

You mention your personality/interests change yearly. That is normal for kids and teens. I mean when I was eight I loved star wars, when I was ten I was over it. When I was six I thought model planes were cool, before I was seven I was over it.
Kids have short attention spans, so really it's not that big of a deal. Your personality changes are simply you maturing. Babies only feel happy and sad. Once they dsicover laughter they laugh a lot for a while, once they discover anger they are angry a lot. Kids and teens are learning more than the basic emtoions it's simply you maturing and using a larger emotional range that makes your personality "Change".

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Dark Horse Offline
Used to be ellabella:)
Average Joe

Name: Arabella

Re: Do I have multiple personality disorder? - August 10th 2011, 11:06 AM

I was exactly the same when I was your age (and I still am). At twelve, you are just about entering adolecence and your personality is still forming. Also, even still, I act different around different people. Im sure this is just because everyone you know is different, enjoys different activities and likes different things. This may be why you act different with people? (Wow -used the word 'different' a lot there). And yes, I find that teenagers (especially the ones I know!) often find themselves blurting out whatever they're thinking about. its just a normal teenage girl thing.

From what I know about MPD and what you've said in your post, I don't think you display the major symptoms of having it. However if you feel like you need to talk to someone, I'd suggest maybe your school councelour?
Hope I've helped. Take care

Tears Falling Down To Lips Unkissed
Ignore Her And She Won't Exist
She's Not The Kind You'll Come To Miss

Closed Thread