TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Manasvi
Location: A hidden, faaaaar-off world where people love each other and everything is just perfect. :)

Unhappy Personality Disorder? D: - February 25th 2012, 09:02 AM

I just found out that I suffer from HPD (histrionic personality disorder)!!!!!! At least according to my mom, who is a psychologist. Geez! That makes me sound so...i dunno....an attention seeking type of sick person?! What to do?! Where to go?! I'm just getting pathetically hyper!! HELPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All we can do is Keep Breathing...!

Last edited by theinfatuatedpanda; February 25th 2012 at 03:22 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Histrionic Personality Disorder?!?! D: - February 25th 2012, 04:06 PM

There's counciling for that, I wouldn't worry about it too much. You'll be able to work through it just fine.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Not a happy bunny
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Dylan

Re: Histrionic Personality Disorder?!?! D: - February 25th 2012, 04:14 PM

I think you should get a second opinion for that, so don't worry about it too much now.. I don't know you that well but you haven't come off as particularly histrionic to me.. But yeah, if you are, then counselling does help.. Because you said it makes you feel like an attention seeking kind of sick person I kind of suspect you don't have it, because people with this disorder are generally unaware that they are behaving inappropriately, and if they are aware they're unlikely to admit it.. so yeah, get a second opinion, and counselling would be a good idea anyway : )

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Histrionic Personality Disorder?!?! D: - February 25th 2012, 06:54 PM

As has been said, you should probably get another opinion.

First of all, the idea of your mom trying to diagnose anything on you, well, is technically a conflict of interests. Family isn't supposed to be the ones to diagnose you, no matter their credentials.

Second, Personality Disorders aren't diagnosed in people until they're 18 and over. Why? Because well, the personality is still developing right now, and will be during your teens. Even in early adulthood (like, 18-20, let's say..?), you might not have a "steady" personality.

Overall, you should probably seek the opinion of a [non-related] mental health professional, to find out if anything even *is* wrong or not, and to help you find the right course of treatment if they feel you need treatment.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Histrionic Personality Disorder?!?! D: - February 25th 2012, 07:19 PM

Your mom may be a psychologist, but she's biased. It seems highly unethical for a parent to diagnose their child with a mental illness. Also, I doubt your mom has actually been sitting down with you for therapy sessions, maintaining progress notes and what-not. Until another psychological professional (someone who ISN'T associated with your mom) can diagnose you with histrionic personality disorder, then I would say you do NOT have histrionic personality disorder, or any other disorder that your mom may say you have.

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Location: A hidden, faaaaar-off world where people love each other and everything is just perfect. :)

Re: Histrionic Personality Disorder?!?! D: - February 26th 2012, 04:06 AM

Okay, thanks everyone for your advice. My panic reduced by reading them.
Yeah, I guess I should get a second opinion. My mom won't like that, really. But still I'll try my best.
Once again, thanks all.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: Histrionic Personality Disorder?!?! D: - February 26th 2012, 04:14 AM

Maybe your mom was just saying that because she was getting annoyed with something you were doing. She didnt mean it just said it out of getting annoyed. Like when people say omg your so bipolor. Doesnt mean there bipolor. Thats soooo cool your moms a therapist I always wanted to know what its like to grow up as a therapist child. Is it fun or is it weird or what. Do you sit down and talk sometimes like a session. Does she help you a lot. Soemtimes i heard therapist that are parents do a horrible job parenting but then can be all sweet to there patient and be able to help there patient s but not good at helping there own kids. Weird right dont understand that. When Im a therapist and I have kids I want them to know there lucky because if my kids want Ill sit down with them once in a while and act like its a session. I wont over react thats what my mom does and that s why I cant tell her everything.

Just read your in india yeah most indians go into psychology for the money. There smart.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Histrionic Personality Disorder?!?! D: - February 26th 2012, 04:16 AM

Gee, I wonder why your mom would be upset with your getting a second opinion. Let's see... maybe because any psychological professional who hears about your "diagnosis" and where it came from is going to be highly critical of her (as they should be)?

I think Lauri might actually be on to something. Maybe she said it in order to "scare" you into "behaving"? Kind of like how some parents will call their children "antisocial" in order to pressure them into socializing more often? I really hope that isn't the case, though. That would mean your mom was not only unprofessional, but manipulative as well.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Histrionic Personality Disorder?!?! D: - February 26th 2012, 04:19 AM

Her mom was probably just getting annoyed with something she was doing. She didnt mean it just said it out of getting annoyed. Like when people say omg your so bipolor. Doesnt mean there bipolor. I have a indian med therapist just does my med s you can tell shes not that into in just for the money. When I try to talk to her there is rarley any responses back only like okay and alright and want any meds. Thats it.

manipulative really PSY lol come on she s a parent we are all human Im sure she was not intenially being manipulative.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Histrionic Personality Disorder?!?! D: - February 26th 2012, 07:49 AM

um what she said was, "you can''t expect everyone to pay attention and always praise you....you know what? this sounds like you're suffering from histrionic personality disorder, trust me, I know. I'm a psychologist. Seriously, why are you so...possessive and attention-seeking?! I know it may be unintentional but still!"

(#11 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Histrionic Personality Disorder?!?! D: - February 26th 2012, 04:02 PM

Sounds like she was just annoyd by your attention seeking and just was like why cant you stop why are you like that gosh. lol dont take it to heart. Talk to your mom Im sure she didnt mean it. There is a lot to histrionic personality disorder then that. Lots of people are attention seekers but dont have histrionic. Dont worry or panic you are fine. {:
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Histrionic Personality Disorder?!?! D: - February 26th 2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyTeen View Post
um what she said was, "you can''t expect everyone to pay attention and always praise you....you know what? this sounds like you're suffering from histrionic personality disorder, trust me, I know. I'm a psychologist. Seriously, why are you so...possessive and attention-seeking?! I know it may be unintentional but still!"
If she's a licensed psychologist, she surely knows about conflict of interest and probably isn't counting on you knowing. It sounds like basic reverse psychology, she says you're possessive and attention-seeking, causing you to worry and be a good kid by doing the opposite. Keep that going and you no longer would in her eye have histrionic PD. She's trying to help you and is using her status not of a parent but of a psychologist, which seems perfectly fine to me.

I cant help but feel there is vital context that's missing. Were the two of you having a verbal argument and she pulled out the "I'm a psychologist" card? It seems very unusual for your mother to say this out of the blue.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Histrionic Personality Disorder?!?! D: - February 27th 2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If she's a licensed psychologist, she surely knows about conflict of interest and probably isn't counting on you knowing. It sounds like basic reverse psychology, she says you're possessive and attention-seeking, causing you to worry and be a good kid by doing the opposite. Keep that going and you no longer would in her eye have histrionic PD. She's trying to help you and is using her status not of a parent but of a psychologist, which seems perfectly fine to me.

I cant help but feel there is vital context that's missing. Were the two of you having a verbal argument and she pulled out the "I'm a psychologist" card? It seems very unusual for your mother to say this out of the blue.
actually I was talking to a friend and I said something like, "I don't like that girl. Why are yo so friendly with her?" And Mum overheard me.
I know...it's maybe not a big deal...but the way she said that...all so serious and hyper! *shudders*

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Histrionic Personality Disorder?!?! D: - February 27th 2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyTeen View Post
actually I was talking to a friend and I said something like, "I don't like that girl. Why are yo so friendly with her?" And Mum overheard me.
I know...it's maybe not a big deal...but the way she said that...all so serious and hyper! *shudders*
If that was the case, your mom probably was on edge about something and she let it out on you. Alternatively, you can look at it as a mind game: she said something to you knowing you'd react in such a way, thereby making you less likely to talk to your friend in that manner she disapproves. Since she is a psychologist, she'd expect you would believe her and probably wouldn't question her reasoning. She had to say it in such a tone otherwise it wouldn't stick with you so saliently compared to if she said it in a calm nonchalant tone. If it bothers you, ask her, although if she's playing a mind game with you, she has several avenues to use. On the other hand, she may say it was said out of frustration.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Histrionic Personality Disorder?!?! D: - February 27th 2012, 09:28 AM

hmm...maybe! I guess I'll just talk to her.

PS: thanks all for your advice!

(#16 (permalink)) Old
RforPirate Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Histrionic Personality Disorder?!?! D: - February 27th 2012, 10:49 AM

Ever seen the movie Garden State?

Don't go getting diagnosed by family, get a second opinion

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Histrionic Personality Disorder?!?! D: - February 27th 2012, 03:13 PM

um no haven't seen it

Closed Thread