TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tamsin96 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Tamsin

Arrow Teens who see counselors - April 13th 2012, 12:11 AM

I am looking to connect with some other teens who go to see counselors or therapists. To share experiences, issues and break troughs. So, if there is any one on here who is interested in sharing I would love to talk!

So, a bit of info about me:
I'm 16, and I have been seeing the same counselor since about September 2011, so about 7 months, I am not diagnosed with anything, but I have severe anxiety.

So I just want to connect with others to share experiences! Thanks!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 13th 2012, 12:15 AM

Hey there,

I've been seeing a therapist. I'm not sure how long I've been seeing her, actually, but she's actually really helped me work through a few things, especially with the self harm and how nervous I get with things. I've noticed my mood's improved some now that I've seen her and it feels really good to have someone to vent to about things.
I've also been talking to my school guidance counselor for a long-ish while now, and she's been a great help with GETTING me the therapist and just being there when I need to talk. She even convinced me to join the GSA.

Has going to see your therapist helped you?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 13th 2012, 12:18 AM

Hi there

I've been in CAMHS for three years and for the past two I saw a primary mental health worker. She's been really lovely but it hasn't really helped an awful lot and I asked for early discharge since I'm coming up to 18 soon anyway. Now I see a counsellor/psychotherapist from an organisation called Mind (UK) who is really lovely. He's doing a lot of work with me. I haven't seen him for long but he's really nice. I've been in-patient too, and came across many lovely NA's and staff nurses.

If you have any questions or want to talk to us about anything, you're more than welcome too

I hope you're well,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Laurasaurus Offline
Learning to Fly
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 13th 2012, 12:47 AM

Does it count if I never told her about my problems and stopped going?

1/7/12 - Live Help Operator | 1/25/14 - HelpLINK Mentor | 6/8/14 - Depression and Suicide Forum Moderator | 6/8/14 - Addictive Behaviors Forum Moderator | 1/11/14 - Videos Team Member | 4/11/15 - Senior Live Help Operator

I will be generous with my love today. I will sprinkle compliments and uplifting words everywhere I go. I will do this knowing that my words are like seeds and when they fall on fertile soil, a reflection of those seeds will grow into something greater.

PM / VM

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Emily

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 13th 2012, 12:50 AM

Hi Dez,
I recently finished therapy (around March 10th). My therapist made me set goals to overcome in therapy. I had never set goals before in my life before than. I was bullied. My biggest breakthrough is when she told me it wasnt my fault that I was bullied. If want more details just post on my wall or pm me.
  Send a message via Skype™ to ReasonsForRecovery 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Lumos. Offline
Used to be Don'tForget
I can't get enough

Name: Dionna

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 13th 2012, 12:53 AM

Hello,
I was in counseling for about 8 months. Im not seeing a counselor at the moment, but my parents want me to. The person who i had was ok, but i didnt really like her. She did help me some. With my depression, i got on medication. And with my self harming, i stopped for a while. But i just didn't feel comfortable talking with her.
If you ever wanna chat, PM or VM me.

From day one I talked about getting out
But not forgetting about
How all my worst fears are letting out
He said, "Why put a new address on the same old loneliness?"
When breathing just passes the time
Until we all just get old and die
  Send a message via Skype™ to Lumos. 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 13th 2012, 12:54 AM

I've seen them on and off since I was 10, so 9 years now (also been inpatient and tried numerous types of therapy). If you have any questions just message me in some shape or form.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 13th 2012, 01:58 AM

Emily,

That is really wonderful. I'm glad you had that breakthrough, your therapist seems amazing.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Tamsin96 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 13th 2012, 02:02 AM

Yes, mine has helped me some, but I have recently run in to some issues with her. We have started talking about self-esteem and self worth, which is very tough for me, since I don't have very good self esteem... So, for the past 8 sessions, I haven't talked much... I just listen, I know this isn't the best way, and a person on here suggested I write her a letter, so I am going to try that, I'll be back here on tuesday evening to let you know how my session went!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 13th 2012, 02:03 AM

I had a very bad therapist THAT HURT ME PLAYED GAMES WITH ME WAS SICK IN THE HEAAD I THINK HAD NO REMORSE HURT ME SOOOBBB. I SAW HER FOR A YEAR THEN SHE GAVE UPP ON ME SOOOBBB

I now see another therapist its art therapy she does not reply to my email so Im mad at her right now. Been to in patient once.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Tamsin96 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 13th 2012, 02:07 AM

Also, Emily, that is brilliant, I hope to someday stop needing therapy, but right now that seems like a long ways off.

I have a few more questions for you guys :P

Did you tell your friends that you were seeing a therapist? 'Cause I haven't told any of my friends...

And........ now I just forgot the other things, no doubt I will remember and post again :P

ps: I'm new here and everyone has been very welcoming thank you

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 13th 2012, 02:13 AM

I've told some of my friends my friends, yes. I'm really comfortable with them knowing and some of them have gone to therapy themselves, so it's not really a big deal with me. Not all of them know and I don't want all of them to know, but the ones I am the most comfortable with knowing do. But you definitely don't HAVE to tell your friends if you don't want to.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 13th 2012, 02:13 AM

Hey again,

I think writing a letter will be really good. I know i always find doing so helpful and I hope you do too.

I never told my friends. When I had to be taken to hospital fro school, rumours got around and people found out i was an in-patient. Why haven't you told your friends, if you don't mind me asking?

I hope Tuesday goes well for you

Take care,
Jessie

Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachell

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 13th 2012, 02:37 AM

Hey there,
Hello and nice to meet you. I'm Rachel. I see a counselor at school about my depression. I used to go to therapy, but my parents won't let me go anymore. I had to deal with abuse and my therapist called CPS on my parents. So now I just see a counselor. I liked my therapist much better, but its the only way to get help. If you have any questions just ask. I don't mind sharing.

~I was always scared of everything, even the carousel.~

~Don't worry about me. I'm sort of feeling fine, but by tomorrow, I'll be back on my feet again.~

-Goodnight Tonight

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 13th 2012, 02:38 AM

Hey,
I've only been seeing my therapist for a couple months, but she's been such a big help to me. I'm not where I want to be yet. Not by a long shot. But, I'm definitely seeing changes and other people are too. I've only told a couple of my close friends that I'm going. It's not something that I feel comfortable making public knowledge. If you want specific details about anything, feel free to shoot me a message.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 13th 2012, 02:43 AM

I never told them maybe like one or gave them hints or just said counslor to make it not seem as crazy or soemthing than saying therapist.
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
MidnightMay Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 13th 2012, 02:49 AM

Hey there and welcome! I have been going for a while. I don't keep track of time. I feel like the two of us go through everything. While sometimes re-living certain things was not easy she really helped. I have found that she actually cares about me and not just the check she gets. I go once a week still sadly because of my sh and suicide attempts. We actually text on occasion she just checks up on me.

My biggest breakthrough with it was not every guy I see was the guy who raped me and people do care about me.

My few amount of friends do know but have no idea why I go or what we talk about. I feel like it's personal and that's why I go see her and not confide in them.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 13th 2012, 02:56 AM

luckyyyyyy
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 13th 2012, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauri View Post
luckyyyyyy
I'm sorry if you have been having a bad experience with your therapist. Sometimes it is a matter of finding the one that is right for you. I know that my first therapist did not help me at all but I tried it again with this one and am having a lot easier of a time.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
MidnightMay Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 13th 2012, 03:06 AM

Mine wasn't helpful till I asked why she doesn't give any advice besides positive thoughts. The next time she gave me loads of help. It wasn't all that great of a start for me honestly. Sorry if yours wasnt the best experience.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Tamsin96 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 13th 2012, 03:45 AM

Wow! It is so great to be getting so many responses and to have everyone sharing their experiences! You needn't feel badly about going every week, I still go every week!
I remembered some of my questions!
So, I told my bestfriend (she is practically my sister) about 6 months in to my therapy, and she asked me how much I knew about my counselor. Which got me thinking that I dont now much more than her name... this idea of texting your counselor sounds good, but it isnt sometjing she has suggested to me. So, question is, how much do you know about your counselor?

My letter is finished, there were many tears shed over that paper...

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 13th 2012, 03:49 AM

I don't really know too much about her really. I think I know more about my guidance counselor.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
MidnightMay Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 13th 2012, 03:57 AM

The reason we are so close is because she is open. She actually told me things like her home life and how similar things were so she knew. Plus I pull things together like her daughter is 21 she had her at age 22 so I figured her age up. I am also very observant with things like her tattoo. I had to ask questions after seeing it and best part was she was mid sentence when I said why is that what kind if tattoo you got? I just get bored easily.

The texting is so she knows I am ok and to check up with if I am feeling like k could do damage to myself. Of course I always say pshh no and she believes it or tries to give me a chance. Thing is she just wants to make sure I am safe at all times.

Telling your friends is a hard thing especially when they ask loads of questions. I have struggled some with it but it's actually my family I have issues with. They hate the idea of me going so it's hard to just say well I am going here today it's my weekly appointment. My friends dint really care but do often ask.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
George^^ Offline
Hi :D
Senior TeenHelper

Name: George

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 13th 2012, 04:09 AM

I've gone to a therapist maybe 4-5 times, that was last year. I liked the lady I saw, and wish that I could see someone again. But getting a counciler where I live is tough buisness. They generally don't stay long, they don't treat you long, and if they think your alright they tell you they'll have "a check up" when their here next. The time when she said she was going to be back has come and gone and I still need help.

I wasn't even that open with everything. I explained that I was anxious (during the end of that year, if anyone was even remotely mean to me I'd cry. I was really broken and hurt and still am.) but I never got to the important things, like my dad's drinking, or my grandpa's death, and now that I need it for sexuality, gender identity, and feeling alone...

So, yea, Loved my counciler, hate the fact that she's gone and the only reason I was able to get a counciler was through my mother, and that was uncomfortable.

I've said it once, I've said it twice, I've said it a thousand fucking times
That I'm OK, that I'm fine, that it's all just in my mind
But this has got the best of me, and I can't seem to sleep
It's not 'cause you're not with me, it's cause you never leave

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Tamsin96 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 13th 2012, 04:31 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience George. Hanging around and getting in on some converssations on TeenHelp might be beneficial to you!
It is really great to have so many people to talk to who know what therapy is like. And if anyone has any questions about my experiences, or just need someone to talk to you can PM me anytim, I check the site all the time!

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Ajmurnane Offline
Ajmurnane
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alex

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 13th 2012, 10:49 PM

I have been in CAMHS for 6 months now and had seen a school councillor for a year before CAMHS. It's a very hard experience with therapy. There are trust issues especially when some of us don't want our parents to know a lot of things. I have been having a really hard time talking about my self harm to my therapist because its just so hard. I just hide every time she asks and I just can't look at her and I just freeze up. She is a lovely woman and I really like her as my therapist. If anyone has any advice on how to open up to therapists I would welcome any help please..

Remember, you can never change the past, but you can learn to live with it.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
survivor16 Offline
Like a skyscraper. <3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Shelby

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 13th 2012, 10:56 PM

Hey there!
So I have been seeing different therapists for 3 years, but my favorite has been the one I have had now for almost a year. He is seriously such a great person, and has helped me through everything! He has been almost like a dad to me and he made me realize things about myself that I didn't know. I sufferened with anxiety, depression, and identity issues and he helped me get back on my feet.
I owe him the world!

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Amorphous. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Hamed Khatiz

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 14th 2012, 10:12 AM

I lost a friend to ignorance and after seven months of trying to make things right, I have attempted to apologise three times, I have reached breaking point and I killed myself, I ain't gon' lie.

Three interviews with Brian and it is a non-issue now. I don't know that is humanely possible and why this was such an issue for me before dissolving like salt but Brian helped me mammothly.

My Mummy never knew about the treatment but I think I am doing her a favor by going to this and not telling her about it. She has a fixed son now, she doesn't have to know how I fixed myself

(#29 (permalink)) Old
dani99 Offline
Ms.Average
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Danielle

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 14th 2012, 10:30 AM

I'm Danielle, and I'm 16. I've been to several counselors but stopped going because I wasn't able to click with them at all. I go to a new one, and I've been a few times and I like her. I also kind of know her anyways because I was friends with her son last year, who is now graduated (so I'd see her around school for band things).

She's helped me with different things, and she's fun about it. She's not boring or tasteless. I get a sticker in my folder everytime I bring it which consists of realistic positive self talk, emotions chart, her card to call her WHENEVER I need to, and past "homework". She's so much fun, and she's funny, too. I feel like I'm able to connect with her.

Just a girl with an angel above, just a girl with an angel to love. My angel grew wings and she did dare to fly. But I promise my angel, it's only good night but never good-bye. My angel, my angel in heaven above. My angel, my darling, you'll always have my love. Rest in peace, my sweet darling, it's only temporary that we part. My angel, my angel, how you still do steal my heart </3

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 14th 2012, 10:53 AM

Hello there

I also went to CAMHS, still do, but I was referred somewhere else, because my weight continued to drop whilst seeing them (I was there for an Eating Disorder). I now go to a clinic, and see a psychiatrist there. Although I haven't been seeing my "favorite" one recently (the one I feel most comfortable talking to), she's always "busy"

And yes, my friends do know. I was pulled out of school until I gained weight, so I had to tell them the truth. I don't see any reason to be ashamed of it, after all I think mental health is the same as physical health- just with your head. If you broke a bone, and went to the hospital you wouldn't feel ashamed, would you?

I think the best advice I can give you is to be honest. It might be really hard, and I know how...strange it can feel opening up to a complete stranger. But just remember that all they want to do is help you. As others have said, sometimes you have to try a few therapists before you find one with whom you're comfortable and don't mind (as much) talking to.

Good Luck! Always here if you need anyone to talk to

-Laura

Take as long as you need.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Sequin Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Molly

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 14th 2012, 01:27 PM

OP, I see a therapist once a week. There is no reason for it, other than my parents have an impulse control problem when it comes to dramatic fixes for things which aren't broken. To illustrate, when I was younger I scraped my knee against our driveway. My mother proceeded to take me to the hospital. That is a true story.

My therapist is a nice woman, but she isn't very bright. To your other question, I wouldn't have any friends to tell about it. I have advanced a few grades and it is difficult to find people who want to "hang out." This is not a complaint, though. I actually prefer the company of myself.

So yes, I see a therapist and I know what one is like. I do not mean to degrade what they do, because they can help people who need it. I wish you the best of luck with your own.

(#32 (permalink)) Old
Tamsin96 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 14th 2012, 10:23 PM

Thank you guys so much for all your insight! I'm really glad to hear everyone's positive experiences! And even with some bad experiences, like what I am going through now, you all have been a big help in me finding a solution! It is really great to know that I am not alone in the feelings I am having.

I thought of a few more questions about therapy, :P (sorry, I'm just really curious about your experience with therapy!)
My therapist mentioned to me at my last session that I never look at her when I talk, and since she mentioned it, I have noticed it more, I am always looking at the floor :P
So, my question is, Do you look at your counselor when you talk?

Also, I have been wondering my recently, what is she writing on her clipboard? And, now it makes me kind of nervous because I don't know.
Does your counselor write things down while you are with her? and are you curious about it, or does it worry you?

(#33 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 15th 2012, 12:29 AM

I dont look at my therapist either that much It may be because were afraid that they will see are emotions.
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
Ajmurnane Offline
Ajmurnane
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alex

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 15th 2012, 12:58 AM

Hey, I never look at my therapist. When she starts talking about self harm I usually end up hiding under my jumper with my fingers in my ears so yes I can relate. Also about the clipboard thing. I can completely relate. I have a session on Wednesday and I'm seriously considering asking her to see my notes. But im not sure whether I want to!!
Feel free to PM me if you want to share any more experiences or just chat about it

Remember, you can never change the past, but you can learn to live with it.

(#35 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 15th 2012, 01:04 AM

I look at my therapist when she talks but not for the full time. I'll go from making eye contact to looking at the ground to staring at my nails as I pick at them, haha. But I do look at her.

The clipboard thing, my therapist doesn't really write things down. I can guess that when yours does, she probably is taking notes about the session, but I could be wrong.

(#36 (permalink)) Old
MidnightMay Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 15th 2012, 03:09 AM

I look at mine when I am in a mood to talk or don't want her to know I am not in the best of moods. When I don't feel like talking I just stare at the floor or find a random object.

The clipboard with my progress notes is a notebook but I just assume what she writes has to do with the questions I answer or if I bring something up she won't let me get off the topic of. One time she held it down in her lap while it was open and it the paper only had the words - cuts moved to side. That's it the whole 30 minutes I had been talking and answering her questions that's all she had. Let's just say the remaining 30 I was so curious if she filled in notes afterwards.

(#37 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 15th 2012, 03:56 AM

Okay, I just found this thread so I am going to try to catch up...hahaha
First, I have some friends that know and others that do not. I like it that way and I do not discuss with them anything I talk about in counseling. I feel that what I talk about with her is between my counselor and me so I do not need to share it with anyone.
I've seen people write in this forum about texting their therapists/counselors but I've never had that as an option I don't even have a number to call her if I need her and I know she always has a full schedule with people so I do not even attempt calling the office and asking to be put through to her or her voice mail.
I know a few things about her but not to much.
Nope, don't look at her because I can't. :P
My counselor does write things down. She told me at either my first or second session that she takes notes so if I here a pen or paper it is because she is taking notes.
I've heard her turn a page or two before in a session.
Maybe you can ask her about what she is writing down.
I've never asked my therapist what she is writing down. I think they take notes to have documentation about the session and to help remember what has been discussed and if there is anything they would like to continue discussing the next time they can make a note about it.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#38 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 15th 2012, 05:37 PM

Never had a therapist take notes during my session. They probably wont let you see it I would snatch the paper really fast if you want to see it.
  (#39 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 15th 2012, 05:39 PM

Some therapists do take notes during the session about the session. My worker at CAMHS does this but my counselor at mind records our sessions so he can listen to them over.

(#40 (permalink)) Old
Sequin Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Molly

Re: Teens who see counselors - April 15th 2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamsin96 View Post
Also, I have been wondering my recently, what is she writing on her clipboard? And, now it makes me kind of nervous because I don't know.
Does your counselor write things down while you are with her? and are you curious about it, or does it worry you?
She does take notes, and I always ask her what she is writing. Not because I care but because it seems to take her off cue and she constantly has to make up a line like, "Oh I just wanted to think about what you said later and didn't want to forget it."

At my next session, I will plan to take notes of her and see what she says.

Closed Thread