TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
George^^ Offline
Hi :D
I've been here a while

Name: George

Therapy... Not Sure Of What To Do. - April 20th 2012, 07:59 PM

Okay,
so I have a few options in my life at the moment...

1) Find my old therapist and work with her again
2) Get a new therapist if I can't have my old one.
3) Don't do therapy at all.

I'd be okay with having therapy again, but like, my problem if I can't have number 1, is I don't like therapists who don't really listen to what your saying. I saw a nurse and I talked and then she kept telling me bullshit things like writing letters to them in a notebook and such, and I thought... That doesn't work with me. I don't want to do that, and I think I like told her so... But still she repeated that.

But I'd be okay with number 3 too, I mean, I don't have all my problems, sure, I still cry whenever I talk about some stuff from the beginning of the year, but who wouldn't? (Okay, what happened to me was like, my principal got on my ass about some cyber bullying stuff that I admitted to, but I wasn't the one who started it, I had always been her friend, and then we fought, blocked each other, start of this year she unblocked me and said sorry and I was like, pissed, I said mean things and then I get in trouble and he talks to me about it, in front of my whole class in gym, didn't listen to why I did it, I admitted right off the bat that maybe I said some innapropriate things, but he never listened to my reason behind it at all, and then I was afraid to go to school again and such, but I still do go to that school, and I still feel uncomfortable sometimes but I ignore it. He's a stupid principal anyways.)

I've said it once, I've said it twice, I've said it a thousand fucking times
That I'm OK, that I'm fine, that it's all just in my mind
But this has got the best of me, and I can't seem to sleep
It's not 'cause you're not with me, it's cause you never leave

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Robin

Re: Therapy... Not Sure Of What To Do. - April 20th 2012, 10:39 PM

Based on what you've told us, all three options sound fine to me. If you could work with your old therapist again, that would be awesome! If you can't, but feel you need therapy, then rest assured that not ALL therapists will be like the nurse you talked to. Writing letters works for some people, so it's not complete crap... but it doesn't work for everyone. That's why it's important to work with a therapist who is flexible and can come up with different ideas for what might work, based on your strengths/interests (for example, composing a song, drawing a picture, talking to an empty chair as if the person were really there). If you feel therapy isn't needed at this time, then it might not hurt to create a list of therapists in the area, and refer to it if/when you feel therapy is needed again. From what you've described, there doesn't seem to be anything "pressing" at the moment. You dealt with a traumatic experience, but it's not affecting you on a daily basis - it's just something emotional that's hard to discuss, and that's to be expected. There are many things that can be worked out with time and patience that don't necessarily require therapy.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
George^^ Offline
Hi :D
I've been here a while

Name: George

Re: Therapy... Not Sure Of What To Do. - April 20th 2012, 11:13 PM

Thanks, and yea... Getting a note of all therapists in this area wouldn't be the easiest, because usually they come for a few months, and then leave again. I live in a northern community so this isn't unusual, and I'd hate to end up like my friend, who has gone through 6 therapists because none of them stay. Because that usually means talking about everything over and over again. If I can get my old therapist, I might consider going again, but I'm a little afraid to talk about well, some issues in my life, but I bet I probably could, I mean, I did like, completely come out to my doctor today.

I've said it once, I've said it twice, I've said it a thousand fucking times
That I'm OK, that I'm fine, that it's all just in my mind
But this has got the best of me, and I can't seem to sleep
It's not 'cause you're not with me, it's cause you never leave

Closed Thread