TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Naureen Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Naureen

Confused and worried - April 24th 2012, 01:56 PM

Hi,

I'm Naureen and new to this site. Last year or so, I went through the typical teenage self-conscious period and ended up losing over [Edited]kg. I am 169cm and weigh under [Edited]kg now. A few months back I realised I had taken the weight loss too far and have been trying to gain weight ever since. I want to be healthy but my mind has different ideas. Everytime I gain weight, even if it is only [Edited]kg's, I feel awful. I don't want to, but I do.

My family and friends began commenting on my weight a few weeks ago and have even brought me to the attention of the welfare teacher. I don't want them to worry. I eat (i never stoped eating or starved myself before) and have started to gain [Edited]kg's or so. But I am just having conflicting thoughts.

Sorry to ramble. I am just worried and confused.

Last edited by Peppermint.; April 24th 2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Posting weight figures is against the Code of Conduct. :]

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Peppermint. Offline
Normality, my friends.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Confused and worried - April 24th 2012, 02:12 PM

Hey there, welcome to Teen Help! My name is Lyndsee. :]

I'm really quite happy that you realized that you took your weight loss too far. However, weight loss can be healthy if you still eat healthy foods and exercise in a healthy, non-extreme way. I'm glad you're trying to gain weight. I'm not sure how much you weighed (Even before I edited it, I have no idea how to convert kg in my head ) but if you're feeling like gaining weight would be beneficial for you, you should try and do that healthy too. Eating healthy foods (even to gain weight is important). Don't try to gain weight on junk food, because that just causes a whole slew of other problems that you don't need. Plus, you'll feel better about yourself when you do it the healthier way. I'm going to link you to a thread on here. A Guide To Healthy Eating.

Food is only ever half the battle right? Emotions play a huge role in this. I can understand what you're feeling when you gain weight. I, first, would suggest talking to your parents. They can't hurt you. And I'm sure that they just want to support and love you. When/if you talk to your parents, I would next suggest going to a doctor where they can refer you to a dietician. They can help plan a diet for you that works for your body. It will also be a diet plan that you're generally okay with. Finally, counseling. A counselor can help you work through the issues that are making you dislike your body, or feel bad when you gain weight. They can also help to work through your emotions.

You, bottom line, have to remember that gaining weight is not a bad thing. In fact, it can be a good thing. But you have to learn to love yourself for you. And I think that you want to do that, but you're struggling. Which is fine. Counseling will help with that. Remember to be the best person that you can be, and lean on people for support when you're feeling down. I know it sounds ridiculously cheesy.. but everyone needs to be reminded of the obvious once in a while.

Take care of yourself<3

Not all those who wander are lost.
  Send a message via AIM to Peppermint. Send a message via MSN to Peppermint.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Naureen Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Naureen

Re: Confused and worried - April 25th 2012, 02:03 AM

Hi Lyndsee,
Thanks so much for your advice .
Right now I weigh around about 108lbs and am around about 5"7' so it is underweight. My parents are really supportive but I feel really embarresed and ashamed talking to them about it. My friends are great but they tell me the same thing. I really don't want to go to counselling. I know it sounds weird but I don't want people to see me as just another self-absorbed and self-conscious teen you know?
I will give it a shot and see how it goes.
Thank you once again!

Closed Thread