TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
i_dont_like_me Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: logan

Points: 9,967, Level: 14 Points: 9,967, Level: 14 Points: 9,967, Level: 14

not sure if this qualifies as bulimia but... - April 26th 2012, 05:29 PM

yesterday i went to taco bell with my brother. after we got back we went upstairs to smoke some weed so i figured i had a good 20 mins. so i shoved a fork down my throat, i probly didnt even got half my burrito up, but i dodnt want to be in the bathroom to long, so i quit. when i went upstairs my brother was out of his room and done smoking, a bit early too... he asked if i was ok and i said my stomach was a bit upset from the taco bell. he asked if i threw up and i said no. but i guess he heard me, he must have gone down stairs when i wasnt paying attention. now he thinks im bulimic. he asked how often i do it and i said about once a week is true. but of course him in his dazed state decided he couldnt believe me. he said he wont tell our parents as long as he dosent think im doing it anymore. he said he would buy me some diet pills. because i guess he knows ones that work. he just dosent want me throwing up.

i dont know if im bulimic or not. i think im fine, but i cut too. not much just a little to calm me down when i get really anxious. he dosent know about that cause i cut my hips so no one sees. i have been diagnosed with depression and anxiety, but i dont like my pills. id rather be me than we on prozac.

i told my best friend who i trust more than anyone and he just said that he loved me and that he was really glad that i was back. cause i was out of the state for a year and just got back last month.

i dont know what to do...my brother has worried my parents enough with his fuck ups than me. i feel pressured to be the "perfect kid".

my brother is gonna move a few hours away. next year when im 18 he said i could come move in with him. but i need to get my shit together and get a job. he said people who have bulimia cant take care of their shit and that if i cant take care of myself then i cant live with him.

i just dont know what to do...

Don't worry I'm fine...

Last edited by Just Peachy.; November 13th 2012 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Removing un-necessary prefix
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Silvia Offline
Average Joe

Name: Silvia

Points: 8,023, Level: 13 Points: 8,023, Level: 13 Points: 8,023, Level: 13

Re: not sure if this qualifies as bulimia but... - April 27th 2012, 02:53 PM

I don't know your case, but judging for this message maybe you depend too much on your brother, u rely more on what he says or does than on yourself, and that can't be good. As for if have bulimia or not... If u have the "routine" of throwing up once a week, it seems something is going on, and I guess u do it for the same reason u cut yourself... And these 2 sympthoms indicate that something is wrong, and that maybe that underlying depression is not over, and all the stuff that leads u feel that way is still there.

I'd try to talk about it with someone, ur parents or friends, and I'd go to a therapist or something, because if u don't do anything to overcome that hidden stuff it ¡s not going to go away by itself...

Take care
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Breathe~me Offline
Average Joe

Name: Janine

Points: 10,309, Level: 14 Points: 10,309, Level: 14 Points: 10,309, Level: 14

Re: not sure if this qualifies as bulimia but... - April 30th 2012, 08:20 AM

If you are Bulimic then you (A) throw up after feeling guilty , anxious , depressed about your body image
(B) have a distorted view of a healthy weight or body image
(C) Binge out on food ( during an average binge a bulimic consumes between 3,000 & 5,000 calories ) afterwards they may turn to drastic measures ( like throwing up ) to erase their weight .
(D) SELF WORTH IS MOSTLY DRAWN BY A CONCLUSION ON THEIR WEIGHT OR BODY IMAGE

if any of this refers to you then please get help immediately because it can destroy your teeth & in extreme situations IT CAN KILL YOU.

847-831-3438
National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders
Hotline, Counseling and Referrals

1800-55-1800
Kids Helpline - 24hours / 7 days a week

If you don't have an eating disorder show your brother he can trust you & believe what you tell him , consider being as open as you can with the situation - sit down & talk to him about the situation & voice your point of view and then listen to his . Explain to him how this situation is affecting you & how you are telling the truth - just dont try to give him any opportunities to get angry / aggressive ( try & keep the conversation as calm & mellow as you possibly can ) .
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19

Re: not sure if this qualifies as bulimia but... - April 30th 2012, 08:49 AM

You wouldn't have posted if you thought all this was normal. No I don't think you have bulimia, the diagnostic criteria for bulimia states the sufferer has at least 2 binge/purge cycles a week.

BUT

You know you have a problem, you know self harm is not a good thing otherwise you wouldn't try and hide it. You also wouldn't want to hide your behaviour from your parents if you thought it was normal. While you may not have bulimia now, your habits could get worse and you could develop it. Bulimia doesn't go with weight loss either - purging rids of the food, not the calories...just like chewing gum, while you don't actually swallow it, you still get the calories.

I am not trying to be rude but I am not going to pussyfoot around the truth. Bulimia is dangerous and while it may not actually take your life yet, mentally it will, you will have no time for a social life and no happiness, until one day it could physically kill you. Bulimia can cause stomach ulcers, throat problems and decayed teeth. It can cause your oesophagus to burst too.

Is it really worth it?
Closed Thread