TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
greenday1997 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,075, Level: 12 Points: 7,075, Level: 12 Points: 7,075, Level: 12

Unhappy Is this an eating disorder or am I just weird??:( - June 29th 2012, 05:31 PM

Hey, so basically, I usually only eat bland food or when I know exactly what's in it (not like calorie counting, i mean the actual ingredients). Like I can't eat spaghetti bolognese because there's tomato in it, I don't eat any baby animals(lamb, veal, vension etc) but I can eat chicken as it's plain. If something has a weird texture I won't like it either:P If I don't want to eat something but try to, I gag and feel like I can't swallow it. My parents always say I'm too fussy, but how do I explain that I feel like I'm literally about to choke if I eat it? It's a weight issue as well I think, I was very underweight in primary(anxiety from being bullied) but put on weight when I moved to a different school at the start of year 7. I'm not overweight, but i'm not toned, and I sometimes feel, if I eat too much, that it will affect it. I don't eat very healthily, as the food I know I like is things like chicken nuggets, cereal, chocolate:/ I hate trying new food in case it makes me gag but I'm not sure if that affects anything?? I've been slightly anorexic before(my parents didn't know) but it went away. Now and again, if my parents force me to finish a meal, I'll consider making myself throw up-never have though, it's just because I feel so awful. That's another thing-I don't eat much-I eat waaaayyy smaller portions than my younger sibling, and I don't know how much I'm meant to be eating:L any hep/advice??? :/ xx
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25

Re: Is this an eating disorder or am I just weird??:( - June 29th 2012, 07:27 PM

Hi there lovely,

Now, none of us here at TeenHelp are doctors, so we can't diagnose you with anything. The best thing for you to do if you're worried about food is to have a chat with your doctor.

Now, being extremely picky with types of food is a warning sign, and is something I think you need to be careful with. It's natural to have food preferences, but when these food issues begin to interfere with your day to day life, that's when it becomes a problem. Also, the issue with the weight and the food portions, plus the fact you've been through this before rings alarm bells.

Throwing up food is never a good idea. Eating is a perfectly natural thing to do, and no way should you be made me feel guilty for doing it. Your body needs fuel so you can live, and can do all the great things in life. You need to eat enough, otherwise you won't be able to live. You might be able to survive, but you won't be able to live.

Talking to your parents about this might not be a bad idea. Tell them about the gagging, and the fear of unknown foods. The portion sizes need to be addressed, too. You need enough to sustain your body. Click here for the TeenHelp guide to healthy eating- although be warned that it contains calorie numbers, so don't read if you're triggered by things like that.

It might be a good idea to talk to a counselor about all of this. You deserve help and support, and a counselor is one way to get that.

Good luck! I'm always here if you need someone to talk to <3

Take as long as you need.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Is this an eating disorder or am I just weird??:( - July 6th 2012, 08:16 PM

Hey there,

Jezza is right. We are not doctors, so we cannot diagnose you with an eating disorder. However, I can promise you that a lot of these are symptoms of one. Restricting, only eating certain foods (often known as safe foods), and wanting to throw up after eating? These are ED-like symptoms.

I think you need to have a long talk with your parents about these issues, maybe write them a letter explaining exactly what you said to us. That will show them how you're feeling sick when trying new foods, how you've restricted before, the worry about your weight, ext. Reaching out will help, as scary as it seems. They can take you to a doctor/nutritionist/dietitian who can give you the advice you need for trying new foods, eating the right amounts, toning your body, any anything else you may have questions about. This will also help your parents understand that you are not making the decision to not eat certain foods, but feel like you cannot, and it is something that you need help with. Mental illnesses, such as eating disorders, have such a stigma, people believe it is somebody's choice, but if you have an eating disorder, it is like having any other disease. You need help, and you need support.

Hope that helps, good luck! I'd also recommend the Guide to Healthy Eating Jezza suggested, it's very helpful, but read with caution.

something burning?
Closed Thread