TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xlovexhatex13 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Stephanie

Points: 7,962, Level: 13 Points: 7,962, Level: 13 Points: 7,962, Level: 13

Question Should I be worried about an eating disorder? - July 4th 2012, 12:10 AM

I am self conscious about my weight, first of all. I'm about 5'5-5'6. For a while now I have been going to bed hungry and not eating much during the day. Sometimes I just don't want to eat or I don't like eating. Sometimes if I do eat, I don't eat too much because I don't want to or I feel sick from eating. I can kind of feel sick to my stomach, feel a little dizzy or have a headache. This has been going on for a few months now, maybe a little longer. I don't count calories or keep track of what I eat or when I eat though. I am not sure if it's a start of an eating disorder or whatever but I do know that it's at least a bit odd.

~I'm sorry you're blind to all the pain you've caused~

Last edited by xlovexhatex13; July 5th 2012 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Please do not post weight numbers, it is against Code of Conduct. Thanks! :]
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
gymnastxxLeah Offline
tumble <3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Leah

Points: 11,371, Level: 15 Points: 11,371, Level: 15 Points: 11,371, Level: 15

Re: Should I be worried about an eating disorder? - July 4th 2012, 01:08 AM

Hey !

Your weight numbers will soon be removed, but since i've already seen them I'll go ahead and tell you that That's a perfectly healthy weight for someone of your height and age.

I'd also like to welcome you to TeenHelp!(:

It's AWESOME that you've recognized this as unusual behavior, and realized it could be a problem.

This does sound like the begginings of disordered behavior... and i encourage you to tell someone now before it spirals further out of your control. I think the best way to handle it at this point is to get professional help...

I hope you have someone to reach out to!

Stay strong!

-Leah <3

I wanna fly. So I do gymnastics instead.

I'll just keep holding on to what i believe and oh I believe in you. Give me the strength for the fight and the heart to believe cause I've got to believe in you. I feel so alive.

PeacewithImperfection
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Should I be worried about an eating disorder? - July 13th 2012, 01:37 AM

Hi Stephanie,

Welcome to TeenHelp! I apologize to the OP and the mods (Lynds, and meeee) for bumping this thread, but I wanted to offer you a bit more support. At the time this thread was published, I was traveling, so I can finally give it the attention you deserve.

Here on TeenHelp, we are not medical professionals, so we cannot diagnose these habits of yours into an eating disorder. However, these habits can easily be or become disordered, so it's good that you are addressing this now before they come out of hand. Often, these habits can also fall under an eating disorder call an "EDNOS" (Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified) so don't think because you don't meet the stiff criteria for anorexia that there's nothing wrong with you. But you cannot use wikipedia, or TeenHelp, to diagnose.

Do you have somebody in your life who you trust, such as an adult you trust (family friend, neighbor, counselor, teacher, or especially a parent) or a friend from school that you feel you can confide in? Even if you don't have an eating disorder, quitting these habits can be hard, and having a support system is one of the best ways to be able to quit. It can also lead you to getting the help you need if you do in fact have an eating disorder.

Last, identify the difference between healthy weight loss and wanting improvement to your body, and unhealthy habits and self esteem. If you have been told by a doctor that you are overweight and wish to lose some weight for your health using a well-balanced diet and exercise, that's wonderful! But if you are wanting to lose weight although you have not been told you are overweight, you are doing it by starving and skipping meals, and are idolizing those underweight and unhealthy for weight loss, this is a problem. What to do? Talk about it. Acknowledge its a problem. Get yourself help.

Hope this helps, good luck!

something burning?
Closed Thread