TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Bubblegirl56 Offline
Here to help!
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: DaynaRhian

Points: 7,966, Level: 13 Points: 7,966, Level: 13 Points: 7,966, Level: 13

Question Not really sure what is wrong with me - Eating disorder or just super fussy? - July 26th 2012, 04:12 AM

Heey There.

So, I'm not really sure if I have an eating disorder but I'm sure I have an eating issue/problem. Ever since I started getting bullied I had comments about my body and how I looked, and I really took offence to it, only because I had my own little insecurities before it all started. If I was already happy with myself and then they said it I don't think I would have listened to them at all, but I figured, well I think I'm fat and I hate me, but now they are agreeing with me, so it musn't be in my head, I really must be fat and ugly!

I starved myself for a long time, I even had fainting spells for months because of it. I would starve myself and make myself do ridiculous exercise. But the thing is, I would starve myself and then eat after about 3 days, but when I would eat I owuld eat a lot, not little bits. Becase I'd starved myself and I was really hungry I would eat a lot and then be full and not want to eat again for about a week, so that is what I would do, starve myself and then eat a big load and then starve myself again, gradually making each period of time get longer.

Anyone help? not sure if it's an eating disorder or not, but oh well. Advice and opinions welcomed and encouraged.

~Much Love,
Ellie. X

Last edited by Bubblegirl56; July 26th 2012 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Forgot the tags!!!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26

Re: Not really sure what is wrong with me - Eating disorder or just super fussy? - July 26th 2012, 04:26 AM

We can't officially diagnose you, but these are symptoms of an eating disorder. I'm sorry that you were bullied. Just because bullies agree with the irrational and/or negative thoughts in your head doesn't mean they're true, it just means that bullies know what will get to you so that's what they use.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25

Re: Not really sure what is wrong with me - Eating disorder or just super fussy? - July 26th 2012, 11:10 AM

Hey Ellie,

First things first, I want to say well done for reaching out. It's not an easy thing to do, but I'm proud you've admitted there may be a problem here.

What you're describing here is a binge-purge cycle, which is basically where you starve your body of the nutrients is needs, so your body panics. Your body sends you brain what can be though of as an "SOS call". It needs food- and now. That's why you have the urge to eat as much as possible in a short amount of time.

I'm so sorry you were bullied, and I want you to know that whatever the bullies said, you shouldn't believe. Bullies are hurting inside, and that's why they lash out at anyone they think they can get away with it with. It's nothing personal, and neither were the things they said. It's an awful thing to go through, but remember that you're still here. You can prove just how strong you are by beating this eating disorder.

Now, disordered eating isn't something you can have forever. You need to either eat enough of your own free will, or you'll be admitted for treatment and force fed. Alternatively, you die. That sounds harsh, and I'm sorry for that, but there isn't a nice way to say it. A lot of the time when we starve and binge we forget the harm we're actually doing to our bodies. Eating disorders are life threatening, and it will claim your life if you allow it to. Don't let it. Surely you won't let it take your life after all you've been through? You're strong, and amazing. An eating disorder has nothing on you.

The fact you were fainting just confirms how dangerous this behavior is. You need help for this as soon as possible. Make an appointment to see your doctor, and explain all of this to him, or talk to your parents or a close friend. It's going to be difficult reaching out, I know. But it will be worth it. As a side note, the urge to binge will fade if you eat regularly and healthily. It's only present because your body is panicking at the starving part. Your body wants to stay alive, and will do anything in it's power to make that happen. Your metabolism will slow down, so your body doesn't use as may calories to keep you alive [it will return to normal once you are eating regularly], your hands and feet will become cold as the blood flow is being directed to your internal organs to keep them alive. Your heart is under a tremendous amount of strain, and so the risk of heart failure is a lot higher than normal. Again, I'm sorry if I'm sounding harsh, but I just hate the thought of this hurting you and others. I'm trying to make you see how much your eating disorder is harming you, in the hope you'll choose recovery.

That leads nicely to my last point: recovery. Oh it's tough, it's a struggle, it's hard. But you know what? It is worth it. I have been in recovery for nearly 8 months. There's so much I can do now I couldn't do before. My exercise is still limited, but I can walk my dog alone without my parents texting me every 5 minutes to check I haven't passed out. I can go out with friends, have sleepovers, join in with meals out. I can explore the world, without being terrified of my heart giving in to the strain of my eating disorder. I'm happier, and although there are bad days, they're getting less frequent.

On top of those reasons, I'm going to send you a link to the "Reasons for Recovery" thread (here), the "Positive Books, Songs and Quotes for Recovery" thread (here) and the "Recovery Support and Achievements" thread (here). Take a look at these threads, and dip your toes into the recovery pool. It's brighter and sunnier over here, but you'll only be able to see that once you embrace recovery. Where you're at now is a dark, misty and unsafe place, but you can leave that place. Oh, and the recovery side has cookies. Wouldn't you like to eat cookies without feeling guilty?

You're beautiful, strong and amazing. I hope this has helped you a little bit, and remember I'm always here if you ever need anyone to talk to, okay? Chin up sweetheart, you can beat this. <3

Take as long as you need.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
escape♥ Offline
Happiness is waiting for you<3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Paula

Points: 11,886, Level: 15 Points: 11,886, Level: 15 Points: 11,886, Level: 15

Re: Not really sure what is wrong with me - Eating disorder or just super fussy? - July 26th 2012, 02:07 PM

Hey there Ellie

I don't think I can put it any better than Jezza has.
But I can tell you it sounds like non-purging bulimia nervousa.
But, I'm not a doctor so I can't diagnose you or anything.
It's going to be okay, yeah?
You can always talk to me if you need to. <3
~paula

If you're looking for a sign not to kill yourself tonight, this is it.
"May the odds be ever in your favour"
"A strong person is one who can smile this morning like they weren't crying last night."
Your never alone, I'm always here for you. Shoot me a VM or PM.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Points: 37,084, Level: 27 Points: 37,084, Level: 27 Points: 37,084, Level: 27

Re: Not really sure what is wrong with me - Eating disorder or just super fussy? - July 27th 2012, 06:00 PM

Hey there,
Like the other members have said above,
You would need a professional to diagnose you. But according to what i know you are doing disordered eating. It could turn into an eating disorder if it meets the standards in the diagnosis. It would probably go under Bulimia, which involves binging (compulsive eating until it hurts and can't control it) and then purging (self-induced vomiting, starving, over-exercising, taking laxatives or diuretics etc to get rid of the food you consumed). I say that you should talk to someone you trust and seek help because it is important.

I wish you all the best. You are very strong for reaching out and speaking about this.

If you need anything or just want to talk you can message me

You don't deserve to be bullied even if what the bullies are saying seem true in your head. Bullying is wrong end of discussion

And remember beauty comes in all shapes and sizes.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread