TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Paix et Amour Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Points: 17,088, Level: 19 Points: 17,088, Level: 19 Points: 17,088, Level: 19

Recovery from binge eating disorder? - August 15th 2012, 01:05 AM

im attempting to recover from BED. any suggestions/tips on how to make it easier?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
escape♥ Offline
Happiness is waiting for you<3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Paula

Points: 11,886, Level: 15 Points: 11,886, Level: 15 Points: 11,886, Level: 15

Re: Recovery from binge eating disorder? - August 15th 2012, 03:45 AM

Hey Sarah!
I don't have BED, but I do have an eating disorder, so I will try to help in any way I can, yeah?
So, I think you should (obviously) try not to binge as much as possible, with me (I'm bulimic, by the way) I have to distract myself, or write/draw out my feelings. Maybe you could do that? As a way of coping instead of just bingeing?
You could work on establishing what triggers you to binge. If you can figure out what triggers you, than you can make a mental note and when you get triggered, you'll now how to deal with it better.
Are you in any sort of therapy? I find therapy very helpful. You might consider it, recovery is NOT easy, in any sense.
I hope I helped you some. You can always PM/VM me if you need to talk.
Stay strong Sarah.
~paula

If you're looking for a sign not to kill yourself tonight, this is it.
"May the odds be ever in your favour"
"A strong person is one who can smile this morning like they weren't crying last night."
Your never alone, I'm always here for you. Shoot me a VM or PM.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Paix et Amour Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Recovery from binge eating disorder? - August 15th 2012, 05:40 AM

well basically i binge with emotion. my mom taught me to eat whenever i was feeling bad and it turned into eating 24/7 with my depression. i dont see a therapist right now but i do want to. thank you for the reply btw
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
escape♥ Offline
Happiness is waiting for you<3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Paula

Points: 11,886, Level: 15 Points: 11,886, Level: 15 Points: 11,886, Level: 15

Re: Recovery from binge eating disorder? - August 15th 2012, 12:20 PM

Your welcome. I do the same exact thing. Sucks, doesn't it?
~paula

If you're looking for a sign not to kill yourself tonight, this is it.
"May the odds be ever in your favour"
"A strong person is one who can smile this morning like they weren't crying last night."
Your never alone, I'm always here for you. Shoot me a VM or PM.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25

Re: Recovery from binge eating disorder? - August 15th 2012, 12:34 PM

Hey Sarah!

I totally agree with everything Paula has said to you. Binging is something you want to try to do as little as possible, since it's really quite harmful to your physical and emotional health. More on that (and a few extra tips) here.

Recovery is going to be hard, but it's also going to be worth it. We're all here right behind you, and I'll send you a link to the "Recovery Support and Achievements" thread (here). It's nice to know you aren't the only one fighting your eating disorder. If you ever need a word of guidance, or just some support, there's tons of people (me included) who will be happy to help you. <3

I think what is important in early recovery is distraction. Thoughts, urges and cravings are often most intense when you just start fighting- but they're trying to make you think that they are stronger than you are. They're not. You are strong, you are in control, and you can win. Never ever forget that. Distraction wise, I used a lot of the distractions from the "Self ham alternatives" thread (here). In a way, binging is self harm- you're hurting your body, even though that might not be the reason you're binging.

Also taking up an outdoor activity, to get you out into the big wide world and LIVE is a brilliant idea. Life has so much to offer to you, and when you discover that for yourself, you'll see why recovery is worth the fight. I struggled for months before going on holiday with a friend, and seeing why it was all worth it. FUN was my answer, and that's what I hold on to in the bad days.

Keep fighting, and stay strong. Fuck your ED, you're beautiful and a fighter. <3

Take as long as you need.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Paix et Amour Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Recovery from binge eating disorder? - August 15th 2012, 10:19 PM

thank you so much, that actually helped a lot. its just really hard because whenever im feeling bad/having SH urges, i turn to food. and i mean i will eat a whole box of mac n cheese, quesadillas, a tray of brownies, etc. all in one sitting. and its awful really. its made me obese
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19

Re: Recovery from binge eating disorder? - August 18th 2012, 09:01 PM

Hi! I also don't have BED or bulimia so I don't really know what it feels like but I might be able to help! I think it is best for you to create a meal plan for yourself and include some exercise in it. I think it'd be good for you to have 6+ meals a day if so you can eat quite often, not deprive yourself and get your system and metabolism used to small amounts of food as opposed to a big amount. Seeing a dietician might be a good idea about this because they will know how much you need to lose and your specific calorie needs etc. I think that you will find if you can eat a little amount often, the weight will fall off because of your efficient metabolism which would burn off the large quantity of food you consume!

If you have the meal plan, you will then feel as though you have to stick to it and you will only eat when and what it suggests. If you do this for the first month, say, you might be sick of the same food and routine but by then the cravings/urges to binge should have passed and you could probably try and be a bit flexible. Stay away from trigger foods for example, maybe don't eat mac n cheese for awhile! =)

You should also find a hobby, so that when you are bored or sad you can do that, try and get yourself out the house as often as you can because you are less likely to binge while in town or in company of friends!!

Importantly you should try to do some exercise! Honestly, that could be as small as a 10min walk a day! Your fitness will improve and soon after you will want to go longer, faster (maybe jog a bit!) and you will feel a lot better! Set yourself realistic goals! Enter walking/running races etc!!! There are plenty which cater for people who just want to try!

Hope I could give you a few ideas =) Good luck - hope you feel better soon!!
Closed Thread