TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Thanksgiving Dinner. - November 22nd 2012, 05:37 AM

I have no idea how I'm gonna do this. It's taken every ounce of my willpower not to throw up at all over the past week. But, I don't know if I can get through Thanksgiving. So much food. So many people watching. So many people telling me to eat more. Trying to figure out how to make them happy without making myself fat. It's the same game every year and I lose it every time. I honestly don't think I can do it this year. God, I hate that my ED even ruins my holidays.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Peach_Out:. Offline
pain demands to be felt
Average Joe

Name: Dominick Joseph

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner. - November 22nd 2012, 06:11 AM

aww im so sorry but keep it down think that the food ae homeless people and you belly is a home do you want to be a homegiver or a non home giver

" Blue hydrangea, cold cash, divine, cashmere, cologne and white sunshine."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
escape♥ Offline
Happiness is waiting for you<3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Paula

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner. - November 22nd 2012, 01:59 PM

Hey there Sammi

I know how you feel, and I'm truly sorry. Try and hang in there..maybe if they tell you to eat more..eat something healthier? Like, have a second helping of salad, or veggies or fruit or something instead of lots of carbs and sweets..maybe it will help with the guilt?
I wish I could help, and I know how hard it is. Try your hardest not to purge, sweetie, it's worth it, I promise.
Stay strong lovely.

~paula

If you're looking for a sign not to kill yourself tonight, this is it.
"May the odds be ever in your favour"
"A strong person is one who can smile this morning like they weren't crying last night."
Your never alone, I'm always here for you. Shoot me a VM or PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner. - November 22nd 2012, 02:11 PM

Hey there,

I hate the holidays because of this. I am always stressing about how I should handle it 'best'. I think that for people who have troubles with eating the holidays are one of the hardest things to have to go through. Holidays involve getting together with family, food and so much more. These things are usually big triggers for people and all those triggers at one time is just ten times more anxiety than normal.

Is there anyone in your family that knows about your eating problems and that you would feel comfortable expressing your worries too? If so I think you should talk to them about these things and they could become your 'partner' for the day. They can be there to help you if you start feeling overwhelmed with everything, if you feel the urge to purge you can tell this person and they can be your bathroom buddy etc. I know that might be hard to do but it will probably make your holiday a bit more pleasant because you will have someone there for you and it could lead to less anxiety.

Another thing I've heard that can help is prepare what you want to say to people. You mentioned that people are making comments about you eating more and what not so if you can prepare what can say you won't be caught off guard on how to respond. Also, I know when people make comments about my food intake I freeze because I DON'T know what to say. So, for example, say you have had a good portion of food and you feel full it is perfectly fine to tell people "Thanks but I am full right now."

Don't deny yourself the right to eat food either because I have learned that if I do that I usually end up eating more than I want too and being anxiety ridden for hours. Allow yourself to eat the food and try and listen to your hunger and fullness cues.

When you start feeling overwhelmed by it all go for a walk, take a breather in your backyard, put your headphones on and listen to music. Then, once things have calmed down go back into your family. Sometimes taking a short breather every once in a while can be really helpful.

Try and enjoy the holiday the best you can. Remind yourself that the food is only one aspect of the holiday. Eating Disorders/disordered eating makes it all about the food and it doesn't have to be like that. Family is probably coming to town and that can be really fun. Yes, our families can be stressful at times but usually there are times when seeing them can be extremely fulfilling. Maybe you could try making a list of things that you are looking forward to about today and carry it with you. If you start to feel overwhelmed pull out that list and remind yourself of all of those positive things this holiday has to offer.

Lastly, if any thing dramatic occurs, which usually happens during holiday, such as the turkey not being done on time, people get upset etc consider removing yourself from that situation. I know that when my family starts stressing about the food not being done or someone makes a comment that is rude Etc. I just walk away for a little bit.

Remember that you are stronger than all of this, you deserve to enjoy this holiday just like everyone else and you can make it through this. I hope that this helped and if you need anything please feel free to pm me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline

Outside, huh?

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner. - November 22nd 2012, 04:53 PM

Thanks guys! I really like the idea about finding a buddy for the holiday. The only problem with that is the fact that the only person in my family who knows also has an eating disorder. I'll definitely go about making that list, though.

wanderlust consumed her;
she had a gypsy soul
-d. marie

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lori8118 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lori

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner. - November 22nd 2012, 06:23 PM

I have the same issue...just because it's Thanksgiving doesn't mean you have to stuff yourself silly. Granted, you should still try to eat. I know it's tough, and I know sometimes one bite of food can feel like an entire meal, but try to eat, for your family and for your health. I'm sorry you have to go through this, but you're welcome to get in touch with me at any time, I'm always here to talk about SH and ED's. Happy Holidays

(#7 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner. - November 23rd 2012, 12:55 PM

How did it go?

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline

Outside, huh?

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner. - November 24th 2012, 04:38 AM

It went okay. My cousin (the one who also has an eating disorder) was there, so we kind of suffered through it together. We didn't really talk about it because we didn't want to be obvious, but we kept trying to find ways to encourage each other throughout the day. I ate and I kept it down. I just hated myself for every bite.

wanderlust consumed her;
she had a gypsy soul
-d. marie

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Honey Muffin Offline
Average Joe

Name: Kamrin

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner. - November 26th 2012, 08:05 AM

I'm glad everything went okay for you♥

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner. - November 26th 2012, 03:06 PM

Being as thanksgiving is over, and Sammi has given us an update, I'm going to close this. Sammi, if you feel I've wrongly closed your thread, I would be more than thrilled to re open it for ya You're also welcome to start another thread.

If anyone else disagrees, please PM me. I'm approachable

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
Closed Thread