TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Naga's Minion
Not a n00b

Name: unknown

Question Why eat when you're not hungry? - November 24th 2012, 12:12 AM

My eating habbit isnt the best, it's not really a habbit at all. I eat when i'm hungry, but I never really am. I don't think I have eaten breakfast in about 2 months. I havent eaten three meals a day for about 2-3 months now. Last tuesday I got sent home from school because I was very dizzy, I found it hard to breathe and was constinatly sick. A paramedic came in and checked my sugar level, blood pressure and pulse. He asked me why I havent been eating 3 meals a day, but I don't find the need to eat if i'm not hungary. Other than my sugar level being a little under average and pulse being slightly slower that normal, the paramedic said I was fine and I was sent home for the rest of the week. So why the need to eat if you're not hungary?
  Send a message via Skype™ to kissthestarsgoodnight 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Why eat when you're not hungry? - November 24th 2012, 12:22 AM

Not eating when you're not hungry doesn't sound like an eating disorder, it sounds like something more physical where your body isn't registering the fact that you need to eat some food and thus making you feel hunger.
Eating disorders are a collection of mental illness where eating habits are abnormal. Eating only when you're hungry is actually normal in terms of eating habits. I would suggest you go to your doctor and bring up the fact that you don't get hungry, as there may be a physical reason behind it.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Naga's Minion
Not a n00b

Name: unknown

Re: Why eat when you're not hungry? - November 24th 2012, 12:26 AM

Thank you, this really helped
  Send a message via Skype™ to kissthestarsgoodnight 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Why eat when you're not hungry? - November 24th 2012, 03:47 AM

Hey Jade,

As much as I agree with Richard, I feel like there is a reason you posted this thread here rather than General Health. Is there another reason you're not eating three meals a day? Is there something psychological? The reason you have to eat when you're not health is to avoid what has happened to you and prevent dizziness and sickness. Think of your body like a car, it might be running great on 1/8 of a tank but you still need to fill it up. I'd start by eating small meals three times a day. Maybe a granola bar for breakfast? Get some protein drinks? Get yourself properly fueled.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
nerual:) Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Nerual:)

Re: Why eat when you're not hungry? - November 24th 2012, 03:26 PM

hey
I get what you mean about only eating when you're hungry, my parents are forever on my back about that fact I don't eat much. What you really should do is try and have your three meals a day but if you don't think you can manage that then at least try and keep your sugar levels up. If you start feeling dizzy or getting a headache and don't feel like you could eat a proper meal then at least try and have a bar of chocolate or something high in sugar to keep you going until you do feel like you can eat?Maybe keep something like that in your school bag?

please do try and eat though, it's unhealthy for your body to run on little to no food.
hope I helped a little

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: Why eat when you're not hungry? - November 24th 2012, 05:19 PM

Eat when your hungry- for the most part. However. I have an analogy for ya, okay?

A car needs fuel, right? And when it's running low on fuel, there's a warning light to tell you you need to refuel your car. But sometimes, these warning lights break, and the car runs out of fuel without you realising. Does the car keep running, despite having no fuel? Nope. It stops, because regardless of anything, including the warning lights functionality, your car needs fuel.

Your body is the same. You need food in order to make it run, and you've seen from personal experience what can happen if you don't eat enough. There's a hell of a lot of negative heath effects caused from not eating enough. Some food for thought (see what I did there? ), I struggled with not feeling hungry for a while and therefore not eating enough, and I ended up with an eating disorder. There's a theory some people are predisposed to an eating disorder, and weight loss can trigger it so it develops. Either way- be careful.

You might want to see a doctor about how much food you need to be eating. Because, hungry or not, it doesn't sound like you're eating enough. Try upping your intake, and note your response to it. Do you feel guilty/fat/disgusting/ashamed or any other negative emotion? If so, it's possible you could have an eating disorder which needs psychological treatment. If not, there may be a physical reason behind your absence of hunger cues- so again, you'd need to see a doctor.

Keep your chin up <3

Take as long as you need.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Honey Muffin Offline
Average Joe

Name: Kamrin

Re: Why eat when you're not hungry? - November 26th 2012, 07:53 AM

Hi Jade! This is something I dealt with before developing a problem with my weight. It started out by not eating breakfast & I wasn't even trying to lose weight, when my appetite slowly started to fade one day I remember I was in the shower & noticed I lost a lot of weight. I still wasn't hungry & I didn't eat a lot which was how it all started. I kept losing weight & my family was starting to worry about me. I became really ditzy, I was always in a daze, & I began to have health problems. I had ovarian cysts that ruptured & I passed out & when I went to the hospital the Dr. asked me what I ate that day, without thinking I just said "a popsicle" & even then I denied having a problem.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, just be careful. ED's can be triggered when losing weight & I know you're not hungry, but maybe try eating light foods. Snack on something every few hours so you stay healthy your body needs those nutrients. & like Laura said, see a Dr. just in case there's nothing physically wrong with your body.

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

Closed Thread