TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bellatink Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Steph

Dealing with recovery weight gain - November 26th 2012, 07:14 AM

So, I lost a lot of weight recently,and then my parents noticed, and since then I've had to eat more... And as a result I've gained back most of the weight I lost.

I'm not dealing with that.

I was a healthy weight before, so in theory didn't need to gain anything.... I know my body's comfortable point isn't much more than I am now though.

Any ideas how to deal with the weight gain? My confidence has dropped massively, and I feel like there's no way ill get through the uni interviews because I'm so huge. I now it shouldn't matter, and that with others it doesn't, but there are different rules with me.

I don't want to go back to an/bn, but this is freaking me out so much.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Dealing with recovery weight gain - November 26th 2012, 08:35 AM

Hey there,

I know EXACTLY how this can be. It can be fairly awful to be "doing so well" in your disorder and then have it taken from you by people who mean well, but just don't understand what you're going through. Have you tried talking to your mom and dad about your feelings about what had happened? Do they know how you're truly thinking or do they just think you weren't eating enough for a bit.

I also want to point something else out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatink View Post
I was a healthy weight before, so in theory didn't need to gain anything.
If you were a healthy weight before, then what was to gain by losing? There is no need to lose weight if you're a healthy weight, you are fine. I do the exact same thing, I measure out how much less I can be and still be a "healthy weight," and then I'm able to justify starving myself. But in retrospect, it makes absolutely no sense. If you're a healthy weight, then you're a healthy weight. You're fine. Dandy. Great. You do not need to lose weight and shouldn't lose weight.

For confidence boosters, I'd recommend reminding yourself of these things 1) you're a healthy weight, 2) you're beautiful as you are and 3) people care about you or they wouldn't have made you gain it back. I'd also recommend trying to reach out and speak to somebody about these disordered thoughts. You shouldn't have to suffer alone. Stay strong!

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
bellatink Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Dealing with recovery weight gain - November 26th 2012, 12:09 PM

Thanks masterpiece, my parents don't know that I had/have slipped back into old ways, they just noticed i'd lost some weight and said i needed to gain it back... I have a therapist who tries to help, but it seems like no one can get through to the part of me that cares. It doesnt help that I started new meds which I think is responsible for me gaining so much so quickly...

You are right, of course, healthy weight means healthy weight... it's just hard to remmeber that I need to include myself in that.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Dealing with recovery weight gain - November 26th 2012, 02:53 PM

So now that we've established that you're a healthy weight, and even you know that, we can focus on getting you to be comfortable in your own skin. Which, I'll be honest with you, it isn't easy at all. BUT it is possible. You have to find a strength within you to keep fighting that part of you that is hesitant. Does this make sense? You mention talking to a therapist about all this, but she's not able to get through to you. What sorts of things do you talk about in counseling? What do you think would help get through to you? Perhaps you need to change the approach in counseling. Talk to your counselor about that, it could help. I also think you need to get your parents on board. The more support you have through this, the easier recovery is going to be over all.

As far as meds go, you need to tell your doctor/counselor that those meds aren't helping because it's making you gain weight, and you have a real issue with that. They can help with med management so that you're happy and healthy with the medication that you are taking. You're well within your rights to do that. So don't hesitate. You don't want the medication that your taking to affect you negatively.

The overall picture of this is, you're never going to recover if you keep doing this to yourself. This means that you can never move forward far enough to love or even like yourself. It's a black hole, these eating disorders, and as soon as you fight your way through it, you don't ever have to go back. Eating is essential. Perhaps you could eat healthy and exercise a bit, that way you feel happier and healthy. Exercising makes a lot of people feel good, and I know I always feel better about myself when I exercise! However, that's only when you pair it with eating healthy. So try that.

Hang in there, kid. <3

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
bellatink Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Dealing with recovery weight gain - December 5th 2012, 06:32 PM

Thanks lovely, sorry it's taken a while - uni applications have been awful!

I can see where you're coming from; and its reassuring to hear that it's possible. I've been managing to fight back a little more recently. MY therapist has started going into why I don't like myself and where it all comes from... We're working on how I can try and stop comparing myself to others too. Things definitely changed with this relapse; and she's aware that what we did before can't have worked as well as we'd have liked.

My parents; they aren't exactly supportive. They just increase my portion sizes if they think i've lost any weight. They don't try and talk about it unless it's to throw accusations. Or to criticize my taking meds.

I spoke to my community nurse today, who is aware of the weight gain side effect but we're going to see if I these new meal plan ideas help to maintain a balance at my body's 'happy' weight. It's working with my moods, so I'm largely reluctant to stop taking them - It's a tough fight within myself at some times, but i'm dealing with it.

I'm going to join a gym soon hopefully, but make sure I don't over do it... I know how that can happen at times.

Thanks masterpiece.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Dealing with recovery weight gain - December 5th 2012, 06:49 PM

It sounds to me like you're on the right track, and that you're working with your support system to improve things. All you can do is keep fighting. It's all about finding what works. I think a meal plan is a great idea! Perhaps you can let your parents in on the meal plan, and then make sure you all stick to it. Your health is important here. Take care<3

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
Closed Thread