TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Alto. Offline
Come as you are
Senior TeenHelper

I Can't Eat in Front of Others - November 27th 2012, 01:53 AM

My family and friends have commented on how little I eat, or how I seem to not eat at all. I can't eat in front of them, I try, but I can't. I pretend to be asleep during family dinner, or I make sure I'm out of the house at that time. I avoid social situations where I would be forced to eat. At school I tell my friends I don't have lunch money, or I don't feel well. Which is true, when I have to eat in front of people, I feel like I'm about to be violently ill. My stomach churns and I feel dizzy, I can't physically or mentally force myself to eat in front of anyone. It's complete torture to me when I have to.

Has anyone else had this problem?

wanderer come home
you're not too far
lay down your hurt, lay down your heart
come as you are.

VM | PM

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Nara Offline
나라
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Nara

Re: I Can't Eat in Front of Others - November 27th 2012, 11:44 AM

I think you need to have a think about what it is about eating in front of others that makes you feel this way. I had a similar problem where I couldn't stand people looking at me while I ate... I could be in the same room as them, but couldn't eat anything if they happened to be looking at me. It also depended on what kind of food I was eating, for example cereal was one food I simply could not eat in front of people - I had to be alone. When I thought about it, it was mostly silly little fears like being afraid I'd get food on my face or that I looked weird while eating, and then it developed into a fear of people judging me based on what I was eating. I'm still like this now and I find every excuse to eat in private, though this behaviour is also part of my eating disorder. Do you have difficulty eating in general or is this simply an issue of being unable to do it in front of people? Hopefully someone else will be able to help you out some more with this, but I'm thinking that there's maybe something underlying - such as a fear or anxiety - that's causing this problem you have. Take care <3

alarms will ring for eternity
the waves will break every chain on me

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Alto. Offline
Come as you are
Senior TeenHelper

Re: I Can't Eat in Front of Others - November 27th 2012, 06:39 PM

I do have problems with eating in most cases. In my mind, I have to justify everything I do, and eating is something I can no longer justify. And justifying everything is now something I hold no control over, I have to do it. I guess my main problem with this is that if I don't eat in front of someone, I often won't eat. I'm at a healthy weight for my height, though I know this causes a lot of problems internally.

It's not like I'm afraid, but I just can't. Lately it's been getting worse, which is why I made this thread. I never had problems with eating in front of others until about a year ago, which is really when I started to starve myself. When I think about eating in front of others, I feel anxious, but it's more about the food than the people. It was only a mental thing, but now it's becoming physical too. Nothing major has really changed, my eating was getting better, I wasn't purging as often, but one day I just had to do those things. Since then, this has gotten worse.

wanderer come home
you're not too far
lay down your hurt, lay down your heart
come as you are.

VM | PM

(#4 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: I Can't Eat in Front of Others - December 1st 2012, 05:34 AM

I have that problem too haha but also at the other end of the spectrum! I really hate eating in front of my friends. I hate eating when no one else is because I feel that well they aren't so I don't need to but I also hate eating alone because I think "this is silly because I need to prove that I do eat - so may as well save it for when people see me!" I live with just my mum - so infront of my friends I barely eat a thing...then when I get home I don't like to eat anything unless mum is watching me and is also eating (tea time!) it is a right pest because before ED we were so relaxed about meal times I barely ever ate at the same time! Now we have to have our meals together because I won't eat without her there!

Closed Thread