TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Faye. Offline
maybe this time...
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Faye

How to eat healthily without obsessing?? - December 30th 2012, 07:00 PM

Hey

So I've had my fair share of eating problems, binging, purging and starving. There have been times of my life where all I could think about was food. I did the whole thing, planning every meal, counting calories obsessively and weighing myself every day. Somehow, though, I managed to drag myself out of that place. I just got so fed up with how much effort starving myself took and how sad it made me that I managed to think, 'Screw that, I don't care anymore.'

Thing is, now I don't care too much. My eating is out of control in the opposite direction. I eat more than is healthy and I eat too much junk food. But now I feel like if I start trying to address the issue and eat properly, I will end up starving myself again. I'm terrified that I'm gonna end up there again. I don't want to have to stick my fingers down my throat cause I ate a salad. But equally, I don't want to eat three burgers because I feel I can't stop myself.

I just want to be healthy and take care of myself. I want to eat chips without guilt but then go eat fruit, not because I 'need' to or because I 'should' do, but because I want t take care of myself.

So yeah, does anyone have any tips on how to be in control, but not obsess?

Feel free to PM me

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think its forever
-Carl Sagan

Send a message via MSN to Faye. Send a message via Skype™ to Faye. 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: How to eat healthily without obsessing?? - December 31st 2012, 05:59 PM

This is where fine balance and consistency comes in play. You went from one extreme to the other, so you need to meet yourself in the middle. It's going to take effort on your part. So, key to this is talking to a doctor who can map out a healthy meal plan for you to stick to. You can also plan your meals a week ahead and plan snacks as well. Make sure the meals are healthy as far as actual foods and portions. And as great as this could all be, it's more effective if you have someone to talk to about this, who can hold you accountable for this meal plan. It's going to take effort and drive. It's not easy to restrict or purge. But it's definitely not easy to have a balanced diet. That takes work because in some ways you're triggered to revert back to old habits. If you find yourself feeling triggered to relapse talk to someone. Someone you trust. You're more likely to relapse if you don't have the support you need.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread