TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
fuzzy wuzzy <3's you
Average Joe

Name: Lillian (Lilli)

Making up problems that arn't even real! ANNOYING! - February 1st 2013, 10:51 AM

So I really hope no one takes this offensivley at all because that's not my intentions! But I know a few girls acutally only two who kind of "pretend" to have an eating disorder. I'll start by telling you about Tammy. She's a distant cousin that I was really close to before I moved, since I was about 15 i've been hanging out with her like everyday, we grew really close even though we had our silly littel arguements. She has always been insecure, I actually remember when I was about 12 we had an arguement and just out of nowhere her deffense was "well you're fat anyway so you automatically lose this arguement!" which I have NEVER been obese at all i've always been super skinny. She claims that the reason she picks on me about silly things like that is because she feels inferier around me because i'm the pretty blonde with blue eyes who is super thin, so she claims to be very jealous of me which isn't my intentions I don't set out to make other igrls jealous. But here's where i'm confused, she claims to be "anerexic" but she is always so full of energy, and she eats just like everyone else, and I know because I go to her house everyday as soon as she gets home from school. She isn't skeleton thin, she looks very healthy she's actually kinda pugdy which isn't a bad thing at all I mean it's always good to have meat on your bones. But she claims to have a very serious eating disorder, but never shows any signs of being sick like at all, and no one else believes her either. I mean I understand that she's insecure about her weight, but that's no reason to make up lies to get attention. Also I know this girl named May who is like basically the same way except I only know her from church so I don't really wanna talk much about her because I don't know all the facts but she's the same way. Always claming to be jealous of me because of the way I look, claiming that I make her feel inferier and insecure because she like Tammy is kinda pugdy, but like I said nothing wrong that i'm not going to pick on them it's good that their healthy. But May claims to have sucha serious eating disorder and claims she is anerexic but she like Tammy doesn't show any signs of being sick. They both eat, their both full of energy all the time, they don't look starved. I think alot of it is just insecurities getting to them but like I said earlier that's no reaosn to make up lies to get attention. I havn't said anything about this to them because I don't wanna offend anyone you know. The ONLY reason i'm typeing it on here is because i'm so freaking ANNOYED by it. They are making up problems that arn't even there.

~~you doubted me then, but look at me now~~

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: Making up problems that arn't even real! ANNOYING! - February 1st 2013, 12:30 PM

Here's my 2 cents on this topic. They may or may not be lying, its hard to tell.. Many people with an ED aren't always easy to point out. 1 of my ex gf's had an ED but she looked perfectly healthy in every way. It might not be a severe ED but still and ED nonetheless.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
byuhgirl Offline
Esther
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Esther

Re: Making up problems that arn't even real! ANNOYING! - February 2nd 2013, 09:05 AM

Honestly for the longest time I was the same way (I don't really know all of the story so I could be wrong) I was constantly full of energy (fake it til you make it right) and I wasn't stick thin at first. I did however lose a lot of weight, so I started out bigger and then ended up being pretty skinny. Now i'm back up to a healthy weight (YAY), but I still have problems with my eating disorder. However, I agree that it doesn't really sound like they have an eating disorder and it is annoying when girls pretend to have an eating disorder as if it's super cool.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Making up problems that arn't even real! ANNOYING! - February 2nd 2013, 09:56 AM

I read a lot about eating disorders and stuff . . . here's one of the major things I read recently: not everybody suffering from an eating disorder is underweight. Many are a normal weight, or overweight. The eating disorder refers to disordered eating patterns and distorted thoughts/feelings regarding food and body image - so it's perfectly possible that they do have eating disorders, and it could be quite severe, but you wouldn't know.

So, yeah it makes sense that you're annoyed, because you're quite unwell and the way it looks it that they're insecure and craving attention or reassurance. I don't know whether they're unwell or simply needing reassurrance . . . and nor do you. If they trust you, maybe talk to them more about it, and encourage them to get help with their insecurities and so forth.

In the mean time, venting is perfectly healthy, so after you vent, feel better, and accept that life is the way it is, and things on the outside do not always reflect how things are on the inside.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Making up problems that arn't even real! ANNOYING! - February 2nd 2013, 03:01 PM

Hey there! I think it's perfectly okay to vent! I do have to say, I feel as though there are a few things you need cleared up.

The thing is, Eating Disorders don't discriminate by any means. This means that not everyone with bulimia or anorexia are thin or underweight. In fact, a large majority are at a healthy weight. I had an eating disorder for nearly five years. I never hit underweight, no where even close for my height. Them having energy also isn't an indication of NOT having an eating disorder. Girls who starve themselves, well some, drink caffeine. Also, like Esther said- fake it til you make it. Now, I'm not saying that they have eating disorders, I'm just breaking some myths for you. People with ED's also eat. It's dang hard and near impossible to starve yourself even most of the time.

Even though they may be lying about having an eating disorder, you have to consider why they're doing it. And what it could turn into. Because this could easily flip and turn into an actual full blown eating disorder. Something has to happen in a person's life for that person to lie about an ED. Perhaps they have insecurity issues and this is the only way they no how to fix it. Or maybe they are lacking attention and by "having" an ED, people will give them attention. For whatever reason, lying or saying they have an ED when they don't is a very negative thing and they still need help.

So, if you do want to help, I would suggest educating yourself. Look up statistics, symptoms of ED's, the long lasting effects, etc. When your cousin bring up her "ED" to you, don't say she is lying. Encourage her to talk to a counselor and her parents. Then proceed to talk about all the dangerous and the less glamourous aspects of ED's. Not that an ED is glamourous, but people don't realize that. People associate ED's with thin. Thin with beautiful. Beautiful with happiness. People are so uneducated about ED's. So, if you can or want, educate your cousin on the actual truths of ED.

Hope this helped.
Take care.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Making up problems that arn't even real! ANNOYING! - February 3rd 2013, 09:16 AM

Hey there,

I'm basically going to say a lot of the same points as others, but I will make some different points as well.

You are right about one thing: Neither of these people have "anorexia." Anorexia is a very specific eating disorder that has a weight requirement for its diagnosis, which is very underweight. However, this does not mean that they don't have eating disorders, some that may be very serious. On television or in the media, they never talk about eating disorders and how they really work, they only show the serious cases of anorexia and make it seem that everybody looks like that or have these same behaviors when in fact, that is not the case.

Honestly? I'd tell an adult the things that they have told you and try to get them help. If they are having ED symptoms, they need help, and if they are making up complete stories, they need help as well. It is not normal to lie about something going on, and very often if people are compulsively and continuously lying, there are underlying issues going on as well, still having to do with low self-esteem or other problems. But either way, they can be seriously hurting themselves, and regardless, it would not hurt to reach out for them.

Good luck.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
Closed Thread