TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
m_nice Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Charles

My Struggles - February 4th 2013, 01:06 AM

Hello all, for me my struggle is binge eating. Though not rampant for just any food, I lack control when it comes to sweets especially. I'm starting a food journal and trying to associate a more healthy attitude towards food. I'm very health oriented and recently this year put on [Edited.]lbs very quickly. Binge eaters tend to fluctuate in weight based on how we're doing. I'm trying to begin a healthy track again, part of me wants to do a slow and steady process without denying myself anything, because that would be the healthier ideology, but the other part of me [fitness athlete] knows that sugar isn't helping me reach that ideal physique that i want for summertime. My trigger is definitely stress and sadness. I wasn't as bad today when i treated myself to m&m cookies, i thought i'd only have one, but ended up eating 3, however i didn't eat the last one in the box. Usually i end up eating all of them. That felt like a little win because others may realize how out of control it can be. Wasn't entirely in control but also didn't lose it all either. At the time i was stressed over money and work and failed to compensate in a healthy way, also there really wasn't much else to eat, i probably need more fruit and healthy snacks in the house. Set myself up for success. Anyway my real despair came when i was grocery shopping. I was torn between what i wanted to buy/eat, what i wanted to eat to look better, and feeling like i couldn't eat anything, just felt very despaired. I ended up purchasing very little, my goal is to stick to buying healthier items since i'm still weak when it comes to sugar. Chips and Cheeses etc don't really trigger me the way that sweets do. Also doing better reducing my soda, i tend to pair diet soda with [ice cream cookies] or other high sugar foods. Feels better sharing, it does feel very hopeless sometimes, but i'm trying to mold myself into who i want to be. I know that if i can conquer my binge eating problem then i'll be exactly what i want. So as i said i'm torn between slow and steady and also getting in shape faster... I'm sure others can relate

Last edited by SparklingWine; February 5th 2013 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Removing weight figures, as they are against La rules.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: My Struggles - February 5th 2013, 03:30 PM

Let me just put this out there, no matter how fast you want to be in your perfect body, it won't happen fast. Healthy weight loss takes time, as well as getting in shape. You have to tell yourself when you're getting inpatient that you're not going to get the body you want to have any faster any other way. Be patient and kind to yourself.

I totally can related to what you're going through. I flipped from restricting to binging. It was a vicious emotional cycle, so yes, I can relate. I can also relate to the feelings of needing food to cope. It's all about finding those healthier ways to cope with your triggers. So, for me, I started a healthy diet and I learned that I thrive under structure. When I get triggered to eat those unhealthy foods, I eat a banana or an orange. It's filling and will tie you over until a meal time. Set the times that you're going to eat, it will help you not to binge. Also, never go to the store hungry. It will help with buying healthier things. There are tons of things you can do to prevent a binge, and you more definitely are not alone.

Can you talk to someone you trust about this? Like parents, friends or counselors? It might help if you don't feel like you're battling this on your own. Does that make sense? Don't be on your own okay? You can get through that<3

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
m_nice Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

February 11th 2013, 10:00 PM

Thank you, I will try to do like you said about adding more structure to my life. My life has been very unstructured, and you're right I do miss the order. I have shared that I am feeling this way, I'm an open person. However in many respects I feel like i'm not supported and that it's really just on me to make the changes I want. I talk to my friends, i'm pretty sure they suffer as well from the binge eating. I believe a lot of us do and don't even realize. I know it won't happen over night, it will be a process, I do feel like i lack power, and a little depressed. I'm just trying to power through, workout and begin to eat better. I like your suggestion about the banana and orange, I will make sure to keep some fruit with me in order to substitute for a healthier option. Work is also a big stress to me. I've been slacking off, mostly because i don't see a lot of growth there, and I'm not very interested in what i'm working on. Your post really helped me thank you.

Still struggling, put on [EDITED] pounds, now i'm motivated to start doing a marathon training on monday and work on my diet. I'm thinking of carb cycling on off days

Last edited by Coffee.; February 15th 2013 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Please do not post weight numbers, they are against the Code of Conduct. Also, merged posts :)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: My Struggles - February 15th 2013, 11:42 PM

Hey Mike,

I'd recommend you see a dietitian for getting a diet that is right for you for marathon training. It's very easy to slip back into unhealthy habits when attempting to diet, even when the diet itself is healthy, so rather, I think you should do this only under careful supervision of a doctor, nutritionist, dietitian or anybody else looking out for your well being rather than a certain size, number, etc. What ends up happening a lot with binge eaters is that they'll diet, they'll be deficient in nutrients and they'll end up binging again. Instead, have your doctor help you find a diet regiment that works for you.

Good luck! <3
Traci

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
m_nice Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: My Struggles - February 16th 2013, 01:14 PM

Thanks Masterpiece, growing up and struggling with weight I actually became very good at designing diets with enough calories/nutrients etc. For me it isn't about starvation, I tend to eat very clean, the binges are mostly triggered from stress and poor coping mechanisms, i'll be eating plenty of fruits, veggies, and meat as I workout. Part of training for a marathon and weight lifting forces you to eat right, if you under eat or eat poorly you'll be a sad panda [south park quote]. Now that i'm aware of this disorder I have, it is important for me to not fall back into a bad cycle as you said. Riding through the binge, eating some fruit, confronting my emotions, will all be tools that I will attempt to use this time in order to succeed where in the past i failed. It's not that i don't know what to eat or how to train, it's this third pyschological component this monkey on my back that i wasn't even aware of. I used to think i was just addicted to sugar, now i realize it wasn't sugar, but this disorder causing me to crave sugary things to the point of losing control. hahah i ramble a lot

(#6 (permalink)) Old
m_nice Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: My Struggles - February 17th 2013, 07:03 PM

I'm still having trouble wanting to be on any type of nutrition plan, I miss my Coffee and Muffins lol

Closed Thread