TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Bad idea? - February 25th 2013, 06:10 PM

Bear with me for a second, background is probably helpful here!
So I have had a history of habits that are at least in the category of eating disorders (never a full blown problem though). Between about grade 7 and grade 12 I changed between where I cut back on calories (refused to have snacks and ate less than I wanted ex. 1 pizza pop versus 2) or I would binge eat (at least its what someone told me I was doing... not eating all day and then going home and eating a bunch), and I also hid food in my room and would pick up fast food and eat it at the park before going home because I didn't want my family (or anyone else) knowing how much I ate because I was told not to eat and always critiqued for my weight. I always envy people who are skinny and think they look good and that I must look frumpy in comparison. To add insult to injury, I gained the "freshmen 15" and read a message by my ex-boyfriend to a mutual friend that said he thought I was less attractive because of the weight I gained (sorry if saying "freshman 15" isn't allowed , please edit it out if it's not).
Overall I am ok with who I am, I REALLY want to lose weight but it's driven more by a need to be/feel healthier and NOT because of the fact I think I am fat (which is actually not an inaccurate opinion at this point any how)............. OK, so here is what I want to get too. I have a new app that says if I lose X lbs a week (limits to "healthy" amounts) I can get to my target weight by the end of the summer. This makes me nervous though because it relies on telling you how many calories you should be eating in combination to using exercise to help you with it (though it doesn't prescribe the exercise). I have avoided counting calories to closely because I don't want to start looking at food in an unhealthy way, especially not after I put myself through learning how to cook last summer, but the amount I eat seems to be my primary concern since most of what I eat is very healthy... But because I have had (at least borderline) eating disorder behaviours is the past I am just a little uncertain....

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Last edited by Always *; February 25th 2013 at 07:37 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Simpry Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Simon

Re: Bad idea? - February 26th 2013, 12:14 AM

Well I'm probably going to be criticised here for not knowing what I'm talking about because I'm a guy who has never had an eating disorder and does not directly know anyone who does. Anyway, your ex-boyfriend sounds like a dick for saying that, and your so-called "friend" is even more of a dick for revealing that that's what he thought.

What I would say is check your bmi; as long as you're within the healthy range, you're fine, but if you're under that you should stop dieting. I don't think there's anything bad about dieting. Lots of girls do it and lots fail and end up bingeing. I don't think there's anything hugely concerning about anything you've said; I think the very fact you're eating pizza is a sign you don't have an eating disorder. I don't think an app would encourage anorexia and I do think there's a huge difference between simply wanting to lose weight and being anorexic. Counting calories does not mean you have an eating disorder.

As for "freshman 15", I had to look that up and it seemed fine; it'a not bad language so I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Bad idea? - February 26th 2013, 02:15 AM

Hey there!

Simon, she was worried since this site does not allow weight numbers. Freshman 15 is currently allowed as it is a "common phrase." I also want to point out the problematic idea that just because she ate pizza means that she didn't have ED symptoms. There are many different types of eating disorders and just because somebody doesn't show the Emma from Degrassi signs of anorexia does not mean that they do not have a problem or at the very worst bad habits putting them at a predisposition for an eating disorder. So just try to be a bit more open minded.

Now to your issue. I don't think you should start counting calories initially. First, I do not think it's necessary and feel it may be an unnecessary trigger to you. However, this does not mean you can't start eating healthier, being more aware of unhealthy eating habits and also trying to start exercising regularly!

Another issue that Simon pointed out is making sure that you don't restrict too much; although you would like to meet a certain weight by the summer, it is more important that you do so healthily than if you meet that particular weight number. By restricting too much, you are much more likely to binge, which will only trigger your unhealthy eating habits more. Instead, allow yourself to eat like a regular person, but along with that, making sure you are not eating too much, restricting too much and eating a healthy range of food.

Last, if you can afford it, see a dietitian or nutritionist. They can be able to help you make a food plan that is right for you to meet your healthy weight loss goals. BMI is not an accurate measure of weight; when my mom was in the worst of her eating disorder, her BMI was still classified as "overweight" even if she was losing her period. It's not a great way to measure health, so instead, ask a professional.

Good luck!

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Bad idea? - February 26th 2013, 06:16 PM

Simon; it's not WHAT I was eating. Its how I was eating.

My BMI is something I refuse to even factor in because it says I am obese when I'm definitely not (I go with "overweight" cause that's more accurate) and just makes me feel crappy to acknowledge it. I have a perfectly reasonable goal weight that I have discussed with a dietician and a doctor in my family. One of them would have stopped me by now if my goal wasn't reasonable.

I have not done anything that is *at least mildly* suggesting that I am bordering on an eating disorder for quite a while, I think living alone in many ways only helped me because then I am not in a position where I am feeling like I have to do what I did. But I've never known for sure, like it wasn't as if i was puking after meals or anything... And I won't cut things out JUST to accomplish something faster (if i want the damn pasta I'm gonna eat it!!!) I know some people can do that but not me. I do sometimes see the dietician on campus (free to see her cause it's dealt with in my tuition fees) and I am wondering if I should discuss this with her...

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Simpry Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Simon

Re: Bad idea? - February 26th 2013, 11:04 PM

Okay, apologies for speaking nonsense; I probably shouldn't be on this thread seeing as I know nothing about the topic.

I do hope your problem gets solved.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: Bad idea? - February 27th 2013, 03:37 PM

BMI is bullshit. It tries to simplify such a complex measurement influenced by so many factors and with so much variation in between people it's quite frankly ridiculous to even try.

I think you should talk to this nutritionist

Take as long as you need.

Closed Thread