TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
madzify Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Madisyn

Exclamation April 2nd 2013, 12:54 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hi! I'm new..I'm sorry if this triggers anyone.
Anyway, I think I have a problem with purging.

I'm in 11th grade now and ever since 9th grade I've been in love with bulimia. I tried making myself sick back then but it didn't work. But since this past August I've been purging often (a few times a week). But the thing is, I don't do it to control my weight. I just love the feeling of purging. When I'm doing it, I feel like I'm accomplishing something. After I'm done I feel strong and in control. I like having this secret, too. I don't know why but I like having the title of being bulimic - even though I don't binge. I just purge after normal meals sometimes.

So I guess what I'm trying to do here is see if anyone has a similar problem with purging? And if you have any advice could you help me?
Also, do you think this is an eating disorder since I don't always do it to control my weight??

Thank you if you help c:

no one??

Stay Strong

Last edited by Coffee.; April 2nd 2013 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Merged posts. :)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: I'm addicted to purging - April 2nd 2013, 02:10 AM

Hey Madisyn,

Welcome to the site! Just letting you know, it normally takes people a lot more time to get to a thread. Just because it's been an hour doesn't mean nobody cares-people are just busy!

I've had similar issues before. When I was purging on a regular basis, I was not usually binging, and part of it was more of a self-harm mechanism rather than a weight loss since I wasn't throwing up large amounts of food in the first place. However, this doesn't make it not a problem. I'd recommend going to your doctor about what you are doing and talking about a recovery plan. Sure, you may not have diagnosable anorexia or bulimia, but you are important, and your health is important. Your doctor will also help you make a weight loss plan if this is actually something that is necessary for your health.

Take care,
Traci

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: I'm addicted to purging - April 3rd 2013, 12:24 AM

Hey Madisyn,

Welcome to TeenHelp! While your purging might not be diagnosable as an eating disorder, since you aren't doing it to control your weight, it is still a serious issue that needs to be dealt with. Do you know what it is that is causing you to have a love of purging? You mentioned a sense of accomplishment, so one thing that you might want to think about doing is looking at your life and making a list of other healthier things that you have accomplished. These could be things like achieving good grades in school, getting a position that you really wanted, or learning a new skill. Start looking at those things as a source of pride, rather than using a behavior that is harmful to your body.

Also, talk to your doctor about this. I know it's scary to admit that you need help, but you do. Although my purging was for weight loss purposes, I still had to go through a similar situation when it came to telling my therapist about it. As reluctant as I was to do it at first, she helped me come up with a recovery plan that worked for me. Talk to your doctor about finding one that works for you as well. Trust me when I say that you'll feel better and you'll feel accomplished because you managed to kick this bad habit.

Take care!

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

Closed Thread