TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Amorphous. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Hamed Khatiz

Yep, Even Guys Have Them. - April 3rd 2013, 11:38 AM

HEY GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .

Name's Hamed, seventeen year old student and former Buddy, how do I get rid of these stupid ass body image and self confidence problems LOL? The thing is, I didn't know how to write this thread, so let's be as blunt as possible .

But seriously, I have been training for a year and a half now and I took like a heap of time off for the exams, final and prelim and that took like four months. I never got back that self confidence and self esteem I needed to get back on the horse after so long and it's just resulted in apathy.

I used to LOVE going to the gym, giving it everything you have and feeling the soreness and the endorphins afterwards, but now I don't enjoy it and I literally can't do it LOL. I mean I am at really bad body fat percentage right now and I don't even look THAT fat, I have good features but that BFP number haunts me. I know there is an Australian Government Standard for BFPs, what's healthy and I thought, I have to get to that, that was my goal..........

I am a LONG way off.

But just looking in the media at these NRL Players and Ironman Triathletes with PERFECT bodies and people going THAT hard during training sessions, and I just get jealous and feel like I'm not good enough and never will be........ the thing is, you can say, "those people have been training for years" and I know that but I have been going on for a year and a half, I should be looking WAY better than what I do.......... I have lost the belief in myself, which is sad and I want to change it.

People have changed their lives by losing weight and people get really good looking, Andrew Reid, people from the Biggest Loser, and even just people from the gym, and I get jealous, I think "how the flip is it so easy for them to lose weight and it takes me one and a half years to go backwards a mile?"

I don't know dude.....

“At times the world may seem an unfriendly and sinister place,
But believe that there is much more good in it than bad.
All you have to do is look hard enough,
And what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a journey.”

~My Childhood Friend.

Last edited by SparklingWine; April 3rd 2013 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Removing un-necessary prefix

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Yep, Even Guys Have Them. - April 3rd 2013, 03:07 PM

Hi there, Hamed

Well, you can have comfort in knowing you're not alone. I've had issues with body image and self-esteem for a long time now. It's been years since I've been happy with the way I look. So, yeah, as the title of the thread says, even us guys have them, believe it or not.

It sounds like you've done some great work in the gym, but I can understand losing motivation. Sometimes I feel like that as well, and I can't even push myself to meet previous standards some days. The only way I really motivate myself in situations like this is to imagine where some hard work could get me, and that drives me to try harder. Sorry I couldn't have been more of a help with this.

And hey, don't let everyone else's apparent success bring you down. I mean, losing weight takes a lot of time and effort, and it takes some people longer than others. Just try to believe in yourself a bit more, having been consistent for a year and a half is something to be very proud of, so well done. You'll get there someday, bro. c:

I don't know exactly how serious your body image/self-esteem issues are, but you could consider getting professional help to try and improve the way you feel about yourself. This is something you can think about yourself and decide whether you need it or not. And if you've done this already, great!

I wish you all the best in overcoming these problems. I'm sure you can do it. Take care.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Catharsis. 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Yep, Even Guys Have Them. - April 3rd 2013, 06:30 PM

You may think that others have it easier than you when it comes to their body transformation, but because you've never talked to those people, you can't know for sure that it was that easy for them. Because weight loss, and muscle toning is hard work! You have to have a nice balance of healthy diet and exercise. What does your diet look like? Are you eating enough fiber and protein? Those things are essential. Limit your carb/sugar/fat intake. Also, you need to drink a lot of water throughout the day. They say that water is a HUGE factor in your weight loss success. At the end of the day, though, you just have to buckle down and get it done. I hate the gym to, but what helps me is going with a friend. I also switch things up. I don't do the same thing every time. I also buy super adorable bright work out clothes, which makes me feel good. But seeing how you're a male, you probably aren't into hot pink tennis shoes It's all about motivating yourself and just doing it.

Boosting your own self esteem is also good for weight loss as well. When you're feeling better about yourself, you're more motivated to better yourself in a healthy way. Getting there though is the hard part. We all struggle with self esteem at one point or another. Its something people in our age range battle with. And a lot of that has to do with the media. You can't let yourself be influenced by those magazines. We are all built differently, and photoshop was a terrible invention, any how. True story. Most everyone in magazines are airbrushed and edited. You are only human. You are what you are and either you change what you don't like, or you accept it. Loving yourself is hard. And won't happen over night. You have to be kind to yourself, and be patient. Try to refute all the negative comments you give yourself with positive ones. It will help if you take it seriously enough.

Loving yourself and weight loss is hard work. You just have to get yourself into a place where you're feeling happy, healthy and confident. Everything else will fall into place.

Hang in there, bud <3

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
Closed Thread