TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
marvelous123 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Mila

Could this become a dangerous habit...? - April 18th 2013, 04:37 AM

This has happened twice this week, and its happened before too..
I just ate a whole bag of munchies (those big bags, practically everything except the crumbs and the pretzels), and I felt really really bad about it. So I have these colon cleansing pills, and I took triple the dosage than I'm supposed to take to make up for it. Im scared whats gonna happen, and if I'm going to do it again -- because I do have urges quite often to just overeat - and sometimes ill just eat even when I'm not hungry. And then Ill either freak out and exercise for about 2-3 hours, or ill do something like the pill thing...its happened a bit in the past, but more in the past few weeks...Am I okay..? Is this at al normal? like I am a self-conscious person, ands elf-conscious about my weight :/ and Ive tried to do so many types of fasts, but I always break them after half a day and overeat...then do something like I did tonight...

Please don't make fun of me :/

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Could this become a dangerous habit...? - April 18th 2013, 06:13 AM

Mila, the fact that you're asking if this could be a problem, to me, indicates that you already think it might be. Behaviors like this can turn into eating disorders or disordered eating (I can't say whether you have that or not). I'm not going to make fun of you, but I am going to suggest that you reach out to someone for help. You aren't the only one who's ever done something like this, but it isn't healthy for you.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Could this become a dangerous habit...? - April 18th 2013, 05:37 PM

Hey there,

No one here is going to make fun of you, okay? I am glad that you have reached out to us. I know that must have been really hard to do. Yes, behaviors such as this can be dangerous. I know that you are self conscious but there are healthier ways to manage your weight then taking colon cleansing pills. I think that you should reach out to someone about this such as a family member, friend or counselor so that you can get the proper help in dealing with all of this. It will be hard to do but you shouldn't have to deal with all of this alone. I think counseling would be a great idea because a counselor might be able to help you work on figuring out why you have the urge to overeat and help you work on finding coping skills for that. Once you find coping skills for that desire to overeat you might be able to also work on your desire to under eat or you might find that you don't feel the need to do it as often. Another thing you might want to look into is seeing a dietitian, if you can get on a proper meal plan you might find that these eating habits become a little easier to break and you might find that you get to a place where you are eating a more normal diet. I know all of these things sound overwhelming but they are worth it in the end, you are worth it.

It is important to remember that you can make it through all of this and that you are beautiful just the way you are. Sometimes it is hard to believe that but if you push the negative thoughts about yourself aside and try and hold onto the positive it can help.

I hope this helped and if you ever need to chat feel free to PM/VM me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: Could this become a dangerous habit...? - April 18th 2013, 07:16 PM

This can be classed as a form of purging (or an activity with the intentionbeing to purge, effective or not).

Be very, very careful. You're beautiful, keep your head up <3

Take as long as you need.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Could this become a dangerous habit...? - April 18th 2013, 08:22 PM

We won't make fun of you. No judgment here.
I think the fact your asking is already telling me that you think that maybe this isn't a necessarily healthy behaviour. You may still have some control over the behaviour, but it does sound ilke some kind of a purging behaviour to me. I can completely understand eating something and panicking about it and wishing that you were thinner and all of that. It might be a decent idea for you to set some healthier goals and try to focus on them, it might make it easier to focus on healthy habits (ex. if you eat something bad be like "it's ok, I'll have a really good supper" or "it's ok, cause I'll eat good every other day and make sure I keep up with my realistic work out plans").

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread