TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,431, Level: 12 Points: 7,431, Level: 12 Points: 7,431, Level: 12

Will this lead to an eating disorder? - April 30th 2013, 12:57 AM

Lately I have had no urge to eat. I still do, but I don't get hungry or full. Sometimes I'll skip a meal or two, but I always DO eat. I am severely depressed and have been struggling with self harm, but will what I'm feeling/doing lead to an eating disorder too?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Tro Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tro

Points: 8,919, Level: 13 Points: 8,919, Level: 13 Points: 8,919, Level: 13

Re: Will this lead to an eating disorder? - April 30th 2013, 04:41 AM

Hello,

Before I can answer, I should say that the best person to talk to about this would be a doctor, a psychologist/psychiatrist, or an actual counselor (because most of us on TeenHelp, including myself, can't actually give a diagnosis of any disorder). That said, it sounds like as far as eating disorders go, what you describe doesn't seem to have any of the typical triggers that lead one to develop an eating disorder. I don't think you need to worry about your loss of appetite leading to an eating disorder, because it doesn't seem to be the case that you're avoiding eating due to a negative self-image, unhealthy perceptions of how you should look relative to what you actually look like, or other such issues.

Your appetite loss is still a serious side effect of depression, though, and if you have anyone in your life that you can trust and speak to about whatever issues have been bothering you, it would be a great idea to do so. School counselors, parents, family/relatives, friends, and teachers are great people to talk to. Sometimes having online resources like TeenHelp is useful too, but it doesn't compare to having someone in your life who you trust and to whom you can speak with about problems you're facing.

I hope I helped a little, feel free to pm me if you'd like someone to talk to.

Best,
Tro
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Yours Truly Offline
Ashley<3(:
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Points: 12,459, Level: 16 Points: 12,459, Level: 16 Points: 12,459, Level: 16

Re: Will this lead to an eating disorder? - April 30th 2013, 05:29 AM

I'd have to agree with Tro. -- It just sounds like a side affect of the depression (or maybe you're just getting sick, depending on how long this has been going on.. who knows!) If it really concerns you, you should talk to a doctor or a family member or someone you trust, about it. But as long as you do eat, like you said, that's a good thing! I don't see anything in what you said that makes me think eating disorder, though.

The fact that you're aware that you're eating less and that you're worried about it becoming an eating disorder is a good thing, though. (: Just don't stress yourself out too much, worrying about it. <3

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle." <3

Feel free to PM/VM me if you ever need someone to talk to, or just want someone to listen. I'm also always up for making new friends.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25

Re: Will this lead to an eating disorder? - April 30th 2013, 09:48 AM

We aren't doctors and we also aren't fortune tellers (unfortunately) but I can offer you my experience and you can make of it what you will.

A few years ago I didn't eat much; simply because I wasn't hungry. I wasn't depressed but I wasn't happy either. My appetite vanished. Then I developed an eating disorder. Obviously I've left a lot out of this but I can't fill in the blanks either. All I know is my lack of appetite contributed to me becoming anorexic, but then there were a lot of other things that helped my ED along too.

There's evidence that EDs may be a biological disorder that some people are predisposed to. When the people with this disposition lose weight or become ill or experience extreme stress, they're a hell of a lot more likely to develop an eating disorder.

Just my two cents. Stay strong <3

Take as long as you need.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Will this lead to an eating disorder? - April 30th 2013, 01:14 PM

Lack of appetite is commonly associated with depression and will not necessarily become an eating disorder. Like Laura said, we aren't fortune tellers or doctors so we can't tell you if this will inevitably turn into an eating disorder or not. There are a lot of other things other than your appetite that factor into fuelling an eating disorder such as body image, pressure to look a certain way, trying to control something in your life, a predisposition etc.

Just stay strong

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
Closed Thread