TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Rose

Question Afraid my friend may be anorexic and/or bulimic - June 4th 2013, 01:48 PM

I was looking through my friend's facebook pictures and noticed over the past year or so it seems like she's lost a fair amount of weight. She's not the type to do like fad diets or even do excessive exercise. But at school (where we wear baggy uniforms that make it almost impossible to tell if someone's lost weight) she rarely ever eats, but she claims that she eats multiple dinners when she gets home. And I want to believe her, i really hope im just being overly paranoid, but i know she has major issues with depression and anxiety and self harm and suicidal thoughts and i just wanna be sure she's not also starving herself or purging.

So my question is, how do I ask her if she's lost weight, and if she has how do i ask if she's been starving or purging? We're really close, she just doesnt usually talk about her feelings or thoughts unless she's really upset.

thank youuu

(#2 (permalink)) Old
owlcity:) Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jennifer

Re: Afraid my friend may be anorexic and/or bulimic - June 4th 2013, 05:20 PM

Awww.
It sounds like she could have an eating disorder.
It could be hard to talk about because people like to be secretive about it. Maybe try telling her you love her and bring it up slowly? I purge and I wouldn't be able to tell anyone before but I'm starting to especially if a really close friend asked. <3
Definitely try talking to your friend first though.
ohh and I'm Jenny Nice to meett you! Noticing you're new.. If you want to PM me feel free. Sorry I'm not very helpful..

<3

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Afraid my friend may be anorexic and/or bulimic - June 4th 2013, 07:48 PM

Hello, and to TeenHelp!

Unfortunately, it sounds like she is struggling with an eating disorder. I was very secretive about my behaviors and I found it really hard to tell even the closest people what I was doing to myself. Like what was mentioned above, you might want to bring it up slowly. That way, she can reveal a secret at a time and build up trust on this particular issue. If she does end up telling you what's going on, encourage her to seek help and if she doesn't, you may have to tell a trusted adult on her behalf.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Rose

Re: Afraid my friend may be anorexic and/or bulimic - June 6th 2013, 02:23 AM

Any suggestions on how I bring it up? Our relationship isnt exactly "normal". We both know the other is basically keeping us from running away or killing ourselves when things get bad, we know the other cares alot, but never tell eachother we love eachother. And instead of hugging we tend to rough house because she's not affectionate in general and im a bit of a tom boy. So anysuggestions on how to bring the topic up? Im pretty sure if she is and i ask the right way she'll be honest with me. I just dont know how to word it

(#5 (permalink)) Old
ForeverAutumn* Offline
together, we are infinite.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Afraid my friend may be anorexic and/or bulimic - June 6th 2013, 03:55 AM

Hey,

Try starting with a text or fb message like, "I know we don't usually talk about these things, but are you okay? You seem to be struggling and I'm worried about you," or something along those lines. Obviously it's better to have this conversation face-to-face, but many people find it harder to talk about things verbally than through text, especially when they're not used to talking about things out loud.

If she doesn't want to talk, then don't push her. Let her know that you're there when she wants to talk, and keep supporting her and reminding her that you care. Same thing if she acts defensive or denies it, like she does when she says she eats multiple dinners, etc. It sounds like you have a close relationship--if you remind her that you're there for her, she will come when she's ready.

You're a great friend for caring about her. Good luck xo

how could anyone ever tell you, you are anything less than beautiful?| PM Me
self-harm free since 06.10.11.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Afraid my friend may be anorexic and/or bulimic - June 6th 2013, 08:57 PM

Your friend could very well have an eating disorder, like Cassie (PerfectlyImperfect) said people with eating disorders can be very secretive of their behaviour and try to avoid letting people see them eat and may make excuses for how they don't actually have a problem. If she is already struggling with a lot of issues (like you said the depression, anxiety, cutting, suicidal thoughts etc) the eating disorder might just be something she feels she can control, although I can't really fully say why she might have an eating disorder, especially when I can't even be certain she has one, each person has their own reasons for it according to circumstance.

All you can really do is let her know you are there for her, let her know your worried about her because it seems like she is going through something and you don't want her to feel like she has to go through it alone and that you want her to know she can talk to you when she is ready. If you can, you can always mention something about how your worried because it seems like she isn't eating enough when you see her and your concerned she might get worn out. You don't have to tell her you think she might have an eating disorder because then she might think your accusing her (even if it's true) and get defensive, if you just let her know that your concerned about her health (by saying your worried she's going to get worn out or something) then she might be willing to open up about it a little more. At the very least let her know your worried about her, that your there to talk and support her if need be.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread