TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
cookiesamilk Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Caitlin

Unhappy I feel so fat - July 8th 2013, 09:41 PM

I haven't had anything to eat sense yesterday at around 4pm. So I've had a successful 24 hour fast. I'm even in the negative for calories right now because I also exercised a lot today. But... now we're going to Olive Garden I feel so fat knowing that I'm going to have to eat there. Olive Garden is pretty high in calories. Right now, I can afford to eat a little over [EDITED] and still be under my calories limit for each day ( [EDITED] ) but I'm still worried, I really wanted to go the full day without eating. I feel so fat.

Last edited by Coffee.; July 8th 2013 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Please do not post weight or calorie numbers, they are against Code of Conduct. Thanks!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
♔ Queen of Ambivalence ♔
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: I feel so fat - July 9th 2013, 01:05 AM

Hey hun, I know how you feel. But one meal at Olive Garden will not make you fat. In fact, it sounds like you're restricting so much that your body desperately needs all the calories it can get! Food is fuel, not fat. Food will help you survive. Food cannot hurt you. Your eating disorder can. Take care, okay? And if you ever need someone to listen I'm right here. I've fluctuated between anorexia and bulimia since my mid teens. I know food can be terrifying but trust me, you deserve to eat.

♥ PM me anytime, I'm here for you ♥

Out of the ashes I'm burning like a fire. You can save your apologies, you're nothing but a liar. I've got shame, I've got scars that I will never show. I'm a survivor in more ways than you know. 'Cause all the pain and the truth, I wear like a battle wound. So ashamed, so confused, I was broken and bruised. Now I'm a warrior.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: I feel so fat - July 10th 2013, 12:30 AM

Hey there,

The purpose of calories are not to make you fat; calories are units of ENERGY. Without calories, you cannot live, so you need to be getting a certain amount every day! If you think that you need to lose weight, talk to your doctor about it and ask for a meal plan that is healthy, yet will allow you to achieve your goals. But regardless of your weight, you need to learn to accept yourself and love yourself at EVERY weight. No matter what, from your highest to lowest weight, birth, graduation, first baby, etc, you're the only common denominator in the equation. You'll always be there for yourself, so you need to love yourself and be the best person that you can to yourself. Starving yourself will not help that. <3

Have some Olive Garden, and treat yourself. You exercised a yesterday, you deserved it. Stay strong and take care of yourself.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Silvia Offline
Average Joe

Name: Silvia

Re: I feel so fat - July 10th 2013, 01:38 PM

Hi, little, as I see it it's not that bad. The fact that you say "I feel so fat", means that u feel fat, not that you are actually fat. EVEN if you weighed like [Edited.] do you think that not eating at all would help?? Because I can assure u it wouldn't. You can't restrict your body and your mind from the energy they need to work!! Your body is like a car, if you don't feel the tank it doesn't work, and the more you restrict it from food, the less it works, and it tends to save the little energy it has left, which means, that you are in fact burning less calories when not eating than when having a normal diet... Think about it.

It's okay if dont want to eat fast food or hipercaloric stuff, because it's not healthy. But it is absolutely irrational to think you are going to gain any weight by having lunch one day at Olive Garden because it is a big lie and completely untrue!!

Don't let the best years of your life pass you by while counting calories, you have to learn to relax, to accept yourself and let it be!!!

Last edited by LlamaLlamaDuck; July 10th 2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Please don't post weight numbers on TeenHelp.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: I feel so fat - July 23rd 2013, 09:42 AM

I don't think you "want" to go the entire day without eating.

You have an eating disorder right? That much is apparent, cuz normal people have some kind of survival mechanism that stops them doing anything incredibly dangerous. Like, a normal persons reaction to feeling fat wouldn't be to not eat, because this is really really dangerous- you with me? Gah it's too early for this

Now, eating disorders are mental illnesses, but shown physical symptoms, so, having urges not to eat is a symptom that occurs as a result of you having this illness. "Giving in" to this urge won't help it go away, you've probably already worked out this slope is very very slippy and the bottom is horribly dark and bleak. That's right: hospitalization, death. Etc. You do have a choice here, but it's not the one you think you have. You can't choose whether to eat or not. It just doesn't work like that. Food is essential as air. No, the choices you have are different. Life or death. Where you're gonna eat. When you're gonna eat. Now, before things spiral out of control? Or when you're in a hospital being tube fed? When you're dead? When it's too late to watch your family grow up, too late to experience love and life and laughter for yourself?

I know I'm being rather harsh and upfront about this and probably making you even more scared, and I'm sorry for that. It's genuinely not my intention, I just need you to see that your eating disorder is the enemy here. Not me. I don't care if you hate me for the things I've said to you today, if it saved your life. If it shattered the illusion.

Eating one meal won't make you magically gain weight. Think about it logically. The most weight you could gain from eating is the weight of that meal, yes? Now think of how much of that meal is used for energy, proteins, and also waste- you shit a lot of it out remember So how much do you gain from eating normally? You don't. People of a healthy weight who eat normally do not gain weight constantly day in day out do they? No, they maintain their weight.

Your body is smart. It knows what it's doing when it makes you hungry. It wants to make you eat. It needs to make you eat. You can do this <3

I'm only a PM away.

Take as long as you need.

Closed Thread