TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PrimadonnaQueen Offline
left this site.
Regular TeenHelper

Mom triggered me - July 16th 2013, 12:47 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Making a thread is difficult for me, because I'm very private about my life, but here it goes.

This is embarassing...so lately I've noticed I've put on a lot of weight on my chest, SO much that I've even gone up a cup size.
I have been eating abit more, but I have a high metabolism and I work out a lot, except lately because the weather is just too warm to go outside nevermind excercise

Well anyway I asked my mom if this was normal, to go up a cup size in a few months, and she said that I was after putting on a lot of weight on my stomach.
This completely shocked me, I hadn't even noticed!
I said to her that she was wrong and that all my clothes still fit so there's no way I'm after gaining weight, and she stood there arguing with me!

I'm after being triggered by this, I want to starve myself again and not eat

Sorry that this is so long

.....“You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself.”.....

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Mom triggered me - July 16th 2013, 01:58 PM

Forget whatever your mum said, you know yourself best. If you feel you're not gaining any weight and you're able to fit into all your clothes fine then forget what she said. Leave her to be with her own opinion while you have yours.

I know what you mean about the heat and exercising. I don't know if you're able to but what you could do is find a room in your home that you feel you could make cool. Like air conditioning or many fans as well as an open window to allow for breeze, that way while you're working out the room will be nice and cool for you.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PrimadonnaQueen Offline
left this site.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Mom triggered me - July 16th 2013, 02:49 PM

Thank you so much Sarah, ill take everything you said onboard

.....“You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself.”.....

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Mom triggered me - July 21st 2013, 11:30 PM

Hey there,

Family triggers me a lot, don't worry! This isn't abnormal. It's hard when people don't understand the thought process that goes into disordered thoughts. I'd recommend not asking her for advice regarding weight anymore. She might not be the healthiest person to ask this advice from.

I also want to remind that weight gain isn't always bad. First, some of it can go into boobs. Hahaha! And second, at our age, in our teens and early adulthood, it's normal to gain some weight, as your body is redistributing. Don't let this want to starve yourself. If you're worried about yourself getting out of shape, consider going to the doctor and having them take a look. Your mom's opinion is not what matter, it's a doctor's opinion. They can see if you've gained too much unhealthy weight and prescribe you a meal and exercise plan that'll be healthy for you to follow.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Fenzy Offline
Only dogs should fear pounds.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Cassie

Re: Mom triggered me - July 22nd 2013, 01:31 AM

I agree with the fact that it is normal. Most people who don't have an eating disorder really don't understand what it is like. My mom still says things like "Well it only has 'so and so' calories" and that upsets me because I'm supposed to be getting away from calories.
Don't let it get you down. Like Sarah said, just do you. As hard as it is, try not to focus on weight and numbers and all that stuff. Focus on being HEALTHY, HAPPY and STRONG. Because those are the things that matter, not numbers.

Just do you! Beautiful, happy and healthy you!

Only you have the power to say,
"This is not how my story will end"

(#6 (permalink)) Old
PrimadonnaQueen Offline
left this site.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Mom triggered me - July 22nd 2013, 02:38 PM

Thank you so much Cassie and Coexist! <3

(#7 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Mom triggered me - July 24th 2013, 04:24 PM

I have a story similar to yours that might help you out here!

My grandmother did nothing but call my brother and I fat. I finally lost a lot of weight, and she still made comments to me like "If you'd lose your pouch, you'd have a KILLER waistline". We were at the restaurant, and I went to order and she interrupts and tells our waitress "We're going to split it, we're watching our weight." All these comments can really hurt me! So I know how you feel. The thing with my grandma is, she is heavy herself, and is miserable with herself. She projects all her emotions onto others. Does this make sense?

I'm not saying your mom is miserable with herself, I'm saying that it doesn't matter what other people think about you- it's ultimately what you think and feel about YOURSELF. No one knows you better than you. Comments can really hurt. But i starving isn't going to make you feel better deep down. Starving will never make you feel better. If you TRULY feel that you need to lose weight, then there are healthier ways to do so. Ways that will make you feel inside and out.

It might also be worth mentioning to your mom how her comments affect you? She may not think that her comments mean anything, that she is just making casual conversation, so it's important that you let her know how comments like this trigger you.

<3

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
Closed Thread